Spotify to Tackle Family Plan Sharing by Asking Users For Locations

jiyeon
8 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Wtf they remove it from your library? 

They don't remove the copy that's already on your own HDDs, but you can't download a new one from their server anymore.

On 9/13/2019 at 11:14 AM, Captain Chaos said:

Same with digital purchases.  I started legalizing my Limewired collection a decade or so ago, using 7digital almost exclusively at first.  If I now go to my library there, I can't even re-download about 10% of my songs because the licenses expired. 

Luckily I have a good amount of backups, so I don't have to worry about this too much. 

I too switched to just buying the CDs and ripping them.  I'll only buy digital if there's no other reasonable option. 

I don't mind buying Digital as long as it isn't Apple DRM'd n' shit. Even if I did buy from iTunes, I use an android phone so I wouldn't be able to use them anyways. For games, I prefer physical copies because they may go off sale at any moment, I don't want to redownload them over internet all the time, and they're large, especially with modern games jumping up from an average of below 15gb to 40+ per game now.

But music by comparison really has none of those issues. Buy a 3tb HD and you have no problems, nor do you have a closet full of physical CD's. I ripped all my dads CD's in 320 mp3 and it was something like 120gb for a closet-full.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 9/12/2019 at 5:36 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Oh, fuck off Spotify. I'm paying $5 a month more so my boyfriend can enjoy Spotify Premium. Be glad you're getting the cash.

People write those songs. Spotify is just a streaming service. Why don't y'all mp3 rip off lovers get back to that, or better yet. try buying an album like a good little consumer. If you can build a $2000 paperweight you can buy an under $20 professionally mastered album. This is why linus won't stop shoving water bottles and underoos down our throats. He knows you'd rather have that than pay an artist. If you don't think people deserve money, then quit listening to garbage.

Just now, Animal901 said:

People write those songs. Spotify is just a streaming service. Why don't y'all mp3 rip off lovers get back to that, or better yet. try buying an album like a good little consumer. If you can build a $2000 paperweight you can buy an under $20 professionally mastered album. This is why linus won't stop shoving water bottles and underoos down our throats. He knows you'd rather have that than pay an artist. If you don't think people deserve money, then quit listening to garbage.

The fuck are you salty about? I'll go back to tracker sites if that's what you wanna cry about.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

The fuck are you salty about? I'll go back to tracker sites if that's what you wanna cry about.

You are fast keyboard warrior... how's that  computer you got there?  Be a shame if spotify located you like everyone else. 

13 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

This argument doesn’t make sense. 

If spotify can’t afford to sell the family plan (6 users for $15), they shouldn’t sell it. 

Artists still make some money on that plan (and let’s be honest, they make basically next to nothing from any of the streaming plans, regardless of whether you’re a free ad supported customer or an individual regular premium customer). 

The fact that one person wants to share a family plan with his boyfriend (which is 2 people to the plan instead of 6) should be 100% acceptable use of the plan. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You think artist are making money? With yalls clicky fingers wearing out that left click.  5 to 15 bucks..  Lmfao those water bottles cost more than that.... (don't forget the underwear.) Again y'all buy expensive shit all the time, and justify it. Hows that boost clock?  Y'all raise keyboards in arms to pirate your music just right.  Be a good little consumer. 

10 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

You think artist are making money?

You seem to be going off on a tangent now.

Yes, artists (some, anyway) make money. Any artist on a streaming platform such as Spotify makes some money. Not a lot (though it depends on how popular they are, of course) though. The per "listen" ("view") revenue on any streaming service is so small as to be almost insignificant by itself. Even less than creators on YouTube would get for an ad impression.

With yalls clicky fingers wearing out that left click. 

Kay. Don't even know what this means. Considering that "left click" is fundamentally the most important button on a modern computer, yes, people left click a lot.

5 to 15 bucks..  Lmfao those water bottles cost more than that....

A water bottle also costs a lot more to manufacture than a song that's already been created, and is simply being added to additional digital services at little cost.

(don't forget the underwear.) Again y'all buy expensive shit all the time, and justify it.

No doubt some do. I personally haven't bought any of Linus's new merch, because I don't need a water bottle or overpriced underwear. I've purchased some clothes in the past (highLANder shirt and sweater), and they were reasonably priced.

Hows that boost clock?

I'm assuming this is some reference to overclocking... not sure how that's relevant to the conversation here.

Y'all raise keyboards in arms to pirate your music just right. 

What exactly is your point here? This is one of the few situations where I believe that Spotify's actions will result in piracy that would otherwise come from paying customers. Not that I even use Spotify. I buy my music DRM free from iTunes.

Be a good little consumer. 

You're quite the edgy individual aren't you?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 9/12/2019 at 9:03 PM, adman29 said:

I like youtube music please don't make fun of me : ( 

I pay for pandora.

On 9/12/2019 at 6:00 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

Yet another reason to use Google Play Music or Apple Music, depending on which ecosystem you're in.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:37 PM, captain_to_fire said:

Getting the rest of my family to Apple Music might be easy since most of them are iPhone users. I’m the only one using Android at the moment (not for too much longer). 

Why even wait?
Apple Music is on Android also.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

3 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Why even wait?
Apple Music is on Android also.

Probably more convenient for Android users to just use Google Play Music.

IMO the only redeeming quality about Apple Music is how well it works on Apple devices...that's it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Probably more convenient for Android users to just use Google Play Music.

IMO the only redeeming quality about Apple Music is how well it works on Apple devices...that's it.

Family plan doesn't mean you have to live in the same household.  In fact, I have a friend in Europe on my family plan.  

Having used both Spotify and Apple Music extensively, I find Apple Music more streamlined on both Android and iOS, and easier to use for new users.  (granted this is only a small pool of experiences to pull from, since it's just me and my close group of friends and family).  I find going through my library easier on Apple Music.

As for convenience on Android.  Sure, Google Play Music is already installed.  But if they were using Spotify anyways... they'd have to download a separate app, just like Apple Music.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Well that sucks. Had to remove my friends from my plan. Now i'll have three slots for ever empty.

Wasn't even sharing the bill.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Seems like the response is fairly straightforward.

"I, the breadwinner for this family, am paying for this service. My significant other and children use it. My children have gone off to college. They are still family, and you have no legitimate reason to say that they cannot use the service. They are still family, you are still being paid the fee you asked for."

Literally any response other than "we want to charge you more money" is complete fucking bullshit.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

8 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Well that sucks. Had to remove my friends from my plan. Now i'll have three slots for ever empty.

Wasn't even sharing the bill.

Did you remove your friends from your plan out of fear? Because from what everybody has been saying, there's no possible ethical way for Spotify to check every single person in a family plan is eligible for it.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

19 minutes ago, sowon said:

Did you remove your friends from your plan out of fear? Because from what everybody has been saying, there's no possible ethical way for Spotify to check every single person in a family plan is eligible for it.

I heard they were sending hired goons around to look in your windows and ensure you had the right subscription.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

46 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I heard they were sending hired goons around to look in your windows and ensure you had the right subscription.

Well you got nothing to fear if you got nothing to hide, right? (sarcasm)

10 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

Family plan doesn't mean you have to live in the same household.  In fact, I have a friend in Europe on my family plan.  

8 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

"I, the breadwinner for this family, am paying for this service. My significant other and children use it. My children have gone off to college. They are still family, and you have no legitimate reason to say that they cannot use the service. They are still family, you are still being paid the fee you asked for."

It seems like several people in this thread don't know that "family" has multiple definitions.

Here is how Marriam-Webster's dictionary defines the word "family".

1. The basic unit in society consisting of two parents rearing their children.

2. A group of individuals living under one roof and usually under one head : HOUSEHOLD

3. A group of persons of common ancestry : CLAN

When Spotify says "family plan" they mean the second definition, which is synonym with household.

When some people in this thread talk about how "their family doesn't live in the same house as them" they are using the definition which is synonymous with the word "clan".

Spotify's "family plan" is a "household plan". It's pretty obvious that's what it is from their website. It was never allowed or intended to be used by multiple people who live apart. This is what the website looks like:

Family-plan.PNG.bbebb2a727cb2a35e47cb21cb6052c9b.PNG

Please note the "under one roof" part.

I really don't like the idea that Spotify will use GPS to verify their users either. I can see a ton of problems with it. But this whole "baww Spotify are wrong about needing to live in the same house baww" seriously needs to stop. It's clear as day that anyone who has shared their plan with someone else have been misusing it either intentionally or without reading the plan details carefully enough.

34 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Well you got nothing to fear if you got nothing to hide, right? (sarcasm)

It seems like several people in this thread don't know that "family" has multiple definitions.

Here is how Marriam-Webster's dictionary defines the word "family".

1. The basic unit in society consisting of two parents rearing their children.

2. A group of individuals living under one roof and usually under one head : HOUSEHOLD

3. A group of persons of common ancestry : CLAN

When Spotify says "family plan" they mean the second definition, which is synonym with household.

When some people in this thread talk about how "their family doesn't live in the same house as them" they are using the definition which is synonymous with the word "clan".

Spotify's "family plan" is a "household plan". It's pretty obvious that's what it is from their website. It was never allowed or intended to be used by multiple people who live apart. This is what the website looks like:

Please note the "under one roof" part.

I really don't like the idea that Spotify will use GPS to verify their users either. I can see a ton of problems with it. But this whole "baww Spotify are wrong about needing to live in the same house baww" seriously needs to stop. It's clear as day that anyone who has shared their plan with someone else have been misusing it either intentionally or without reading the plan details carefully enough.

Explain to me how it costs them any more money or in any way harms them.

They're still getting paid. This move has only 1 or 2 purposes,

They want to charge people more money, or they want to collect data on their customers, to sell to advertising companies or whoever is out there buying up all this data.

For the purposes of disclosure, I do not use spotify. This move makes it less likely that I ever will, because it's kind of a dick thing to do. I don't care what their stated intent for the service is.

And I'm sorry, but immediate family does not stop being immediate family just because they move out of the house. You can throw dictionary definitions at me all day, but I'm still going to disagree with you and Spotify.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have Spotify prem, but this is no different than Sirius XM Family plan for online streaming.  The only difference is they don't care where you listen to it.  Now I will say sirius is pretty trash these days, but if they have not tried this yet, than I don't think Spotify is going to have a good time. 

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535

disable location based services and boom.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

2 hours ago, sowon said:

Yep, if they are going to do random gps checks. Not going to take the risk

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Explain to me how it costs them any more money or in any way harms them.

It doesn't them more money, but it reduces their profits when people pay less for the service.

They're still getting paid. This move has only 1 or 2 purposes,

They want to charge people more money,

Well duhh... Of course they want to make more money.

Spotify Family is so that your family (as in, people living under the same roof, as per the dictionary definition) can pay for 1.5 accounts, and have like 5 people share it. It's not meant to be used the way a lot of people use it (sharing it with others who don't live with them).

And I'm sorry, but immediate family does not stop being immediate family just because they move out of the house. You can throw dictionary definitions at me all day, but I'm still going to disagree with you and Spotify.

Hehe, I like how you disregard the dictionary definition of a word, the terms of service agreement and the marketing material and just go "well I think it should be defined like this so therefore I am right!".

Sorry but you're wrong. Spotify are the ones who get to decide what you can and can't do with their rebate service. Don't like their restrictions? Then pay full price. Simple as that really.

2 hours ago, will4623 said:

disable location based services and boom.

That might just make it so that Spotify Premium stops working until you turn location services on again.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

That might just make it so that Spotify Premium stops working until you turn location services on again.

I feel like that should be illegal.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!