Boot Troubles

Redrooster
Go to solution Solved by Redrooster,

I don't want to preemptively celebrate, but since I ordered all my parts brand new on Amazon, I was able to enact my warranty for my motherboard.

I did it on Tuesday and the replacement motherboard came in on Thursday(the day I'm making this reply). It cost me $0 and the only stipulation was, I had to return the defective motherboard back within 30 days (which I already did yesterday)

Well, I slipped the CPU and CPU cooler on well as the RAM. I put it in my case and inserted the GPU. I plugged all the necessary plugs in and it booted to Windows 10 without a problem

I was able to update Windows and put all the drivers on it, I restarted my computer and once again it booted back in with no issues. I also later on powered it off and on just to make sure nothing was immediately wrong and so far everything's working perfectly fine.

I'm still not 100% confident that there's nothing wrong because the first time I built it, I took a few hours for to start messing up and then it got worse from there (ultimately only allowing me to use it for four days before it wouldn't boot anymore)

I will make an update either when it starts messing up again or at the end of the weekend if nothing has gone wrong. 

Here's to hoping that I can put all this behind me and just focus on all of the PC gaming glory that I've been missing out on.

So I've been noticing when I have my external Seagate plugged in, my computer won't boot to Windows 10. I've checked the boot priority in the bios, and it should go straight to sata. 

I've been able to get around this by leaving it unplugged while it boots and just plugging it back in once it boots to the lock screen.

Now I'm having trouble even getting it to boot, I just got this CPU motherboard and RAM last weekend and my GPU is only 6 months old

This is what it looks like when I try to boot my computer up (the last picture shows that my motherboard doesn't seem to think anything is wrong, judging by the lack of diagnostic LEDs)

If anyone can provide some help, I would really appreciate it

20190912_163933.jpg

20190912_164022.jpg

20190912_163954.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

That repair option shows up if there is problem booting to OS, like corrupted OS or a problem with your hard drive, 

i would recommend backing up your files (if you can) and re install windows, 

if it still gives trouble there might be a problem with your sata cable and/or your drive 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

try booting in safemode click advanced options, troubleshoot, advanced options, start up settings. then click restarted and it will reboot and when you see a blue start up settings options screen press 4 on your keyboard to boot in safemode

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-enter-safe-mode-in-windows-10/

54 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

try booting in safemode click advanced options, troubleshoot, advanced options, start up settings. then click restarted and it will reboot and when you see a blue start up settings options screen press 4 on your keyboard to boot in safemode

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-enter-safe-mode-in-windows-10/

I follow those instructions and now I can't get into the boot menu, I just ordered it at $22 120gb Kingston SSD and I plan on putting a fresh install of Windows to it

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

Just now, Redrooster said:

I follow those instructions and now I can't get into the boot menu, I just ordered it at $22 120gb Kingston SSD and I plan on putting a fresh install of Windows to it

(EDIT) I can get into the boot menu, ignore the first part

I'm going to try to tinker with it and see if I can get it to boot (I would really like to be able to use my computer from now until Saturday) 

Expect an update either when I can get it to boot again or Saturday when I try to install Windows 10 on a fresh SSD

I'm doing a clean reset on my old boot drive (I really want to play borderlands 3 tomorrow) in the meantime it's mobile YouTube or PS4 time 

So I factory reset my boot drive and it had successfully reset my files, the windows installer got to 19% and then reset. It went to a black screen and now no image is posting. I've been sitting here for 10 minutes now it's just a black screen, what's up?

12 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

So I factory reset my boot drive and it had successfully reset my files, the windows installer got to 19% and then reset. It went to a black screen and now no image is posting. I've been sitting here for 10 minutes now it's just a black screen, what's up?

What was wrong for you to reset it ?  Do you mean to take your Windows back to some original date or something ?  Fill us in some more...

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

22 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

What was wrong for you to reset it ?  Do you mean to take your Windows back to some original date or something ?  Fill us in some more...

My hard drive was acting up, it might have been something on it? I've already ordered the replacement, but I want to be able to play borderlands 3 tomorrow (I store all of my games on a 2tb Seagate USB drive, so if I can get my boot drive to work again I can just install borderlands 3 to my Seagate and play it until Saturday when I finally get an SSD boot drive)

UPDATE: after performing a clean wipe and deleting every file off of my old boot drive (including Windows 10) I was finally able to get it to boot to Windows 10 (after a fresh install)

The issue has not been fixed, but at least I can use my computer until the new boot drive comes in on Saturday (the new boot drive will be the first SSD I've ever owned)

It's a 120gb SSD so I think I'll be able to fit at least one game on it (not sure)

I will update once again when I get the new SSD on Saturday (until then I'm going to leave my computer on and just use sleep mode when I'm away from it. At least I'll be able to enjoy playing borderlands 3 while I wait for the new boot drive)

I think I'm just cursed. I don't know what to do. This is a cry for help. I used a Windows 10 boot key to put Windows 10 on a new SSD and it says "finishing up, needs a restart for it to take effect" after it restarts it goes back into the USB boot key and it only lets me reinstall Windows 10, it doesn't continue installing Windows 10. I do this two more times and after the third try I go to "repair your PC" option in the Windows 10 boot key menu. There was an option that said boot to another OS and I see the 3 windows 10 options on the one SSD. I clicked the top one and it updated windows 10 and let me in. I unplugged the windows 10 boot USB and I set up my account. I was finally in and then after a minute, the input cut off. It's not my monitor because I tried two separate monitors. I'm honestly so stressed out and frustrated. I just want to play my games again

Please, anyone? 

24 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

Please, anyone? 

This is the exact problem that I’m having, tried 2 different boot usbs, tried updating, it flashes a blue screen for 2 seconds when I go into windows and resets after I try doing anything, it popped up with

• SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 
  • KERNEL AUTO BOOST INVALID LOCK RELEASE

Over multiple times of giving me errors

not sure what to do

Cpu: ryzen 5 3600

Gpu: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card

mobo: msi b450 tomahawk 

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage: Seagate firecuda 1tb 7200rpm

psu: Evga 600w

case: Nzxt H510

image.jpg

D2E19AB6-63E4-4714-A7EC-982EDC4F9F10.jpeg

AED1E555-99C0-4D6D-8039-59BA52C8BBFE.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Energy151 said:

This is the exact problem that I’m having, tried 2 different boot usbs, tried updating, it flashes a blue screen for 2 seconds when I go into windows and resets after I try doing anything, it popped up with

• SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 
  • KERNEL AUTO BOOST INVALID LOCK RELEASE

Over multiple times of giving me errors

not sure what to do

Cpu: ryzen 5 3600

Gpu: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card

mobo: msi b450 tomahawk 

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage: Seagate firecuda 1tb 7200rpm

psu: Evga 600w

case: Nzxt H510

image.jpg

D2E19AB6-63E4-4714-A7EC-982EDC4F9F10.jpeg

AED1E555-99C0-4D6D-8039-59BA52C8BBFE.jpeg

Mine was able to get into Windows 10 home screen, but it shut back off. I'm going to format my drive and follow a step by step Windows 10 installation guide by "tech deals" (I love his vids, very thorough) it might be something I'm doing wrong (that's what I hope it is, not hardware)

Check your RAM, re-seat your CPU, if you have a spare CPU to test with, I'd also try that. I had similar issues with lots of BSODs and it turned out to be my CPU being faulty. It can cause all sorts of weird issues.

Just now, Dayglorange said:

Check your RAM, re-seat your CPU, if you have a spare CPU to test with, I'd also try that. I had similar issues with lots of BSODs and it turned out to be my CPU being faulty. It can cause all sorts of weird issues.

This is my first AMD PC, I'll see if I can run a health check on my ram, and I'll check the CPU for any bent pens

1 minute ago, Redrooster said:

This is my first AMD PC, I'll see if I can run a health check on my ram, and I'll check the CPU for any bent pens

I upgraded from an old AMD A8 to Ryzen 5 3600, and for the first week when nothing worked I started to regret my decision there. But, once you nail down the cause, and find your fix (in my case I sent both the CPU and RAM back to Newegg for RMA) everything is great.

Even if your CPU doesn't have visibly bent pins, it can still be faulty. It could also be a matter of a few pins not having made proper contact, so removing and re-seating it again usually fixes that. If your problem still persists then it could be a fault in the CPU that isn't visibly apparent, or it could be a different component.

To test your RAM, you have a few options. Windows has a built-in memory diagnostic that you can use. I'd also suggest Memtest86 as that's been the gold standard for RAM testing for basically as long as I've been alive. Its a pain in the ass but you'll have to run tests on each stick of RAM separately as well as together, and you'll also want to test each stick in each slot on your motherboard. That can narrow down if the cause is a faulty RAM slot and not a RAM module itself.

I'm able to get into the BIOS, but whenever I let it boot itself to Windows 10 it loads Windows 10 for about 8 seconds and then the input cuts out and I can't control anything. From there I have to power off my computer and power back on.

The strange thing is, using a Windows 10 boot key, I can format my boot drive and put a fresh install of Windows 10 to it. It will install Windows 10 and I can actually use my computer for a little bit. But as soon as I need to reboot from installing the drivers and updating Windows, it won't let me boot into Windows 10

Did you choosed windows boot drive as 1 priority? Or what options you got ? 

Bios is flashed to newest version?

2 hours ago, Johnny Relentless said:

Did you choosed windows boot drive as 1 priority? Or what options you got ? 

Bios is flashed to newest version?

Bios is up to date, and the boot drive is boot option number one

I don't want to preemptively celebrate, but since I ordered all my parts brand new on Amazon, I was able to enact my warranty for my motherboard.

I did it on Tuesday and the replacement motherboard came in on Thursday(the day I'm making this reply). It cost me $0 and the only stipulation was, I had to return the defective motherboard back within 30 days (which I already did yesterday)

Well, I slipped the CPU and CPU cooler on well as the RAM. I put it in my case and inserted the GPU. I plugged all the necessary plugs in and it booted to Windows 10 without a problem

I was able to update Windows and put all the drivers on it, I restarted my computer and once again it booted back in with no issues. I also later on powered it off and on just to make sure nothing was immediately wrong and so far everything's working perfectly fine.

I'm still not 100% confident that there's nothing wrong because the first time I built it, I took a few hours for to start messing up and then it got worse from there (ultimately only allowing me to use it for four days before it wouldn't boot anymore)

I will make an update either when it starts messing up again or at the end of the weekend if nothing has gone wrong. 

Here's to hoping that I can put all this behind me and just focus on all of the PC gaming glory that I've been missing out on.