A Fanboy's Note 10 Review

JonoT

I basically could not agree more. Though I am warming to living with a dongle (I wonder if I could hack an integration into my headphones :P) I see no reason to be forced to have phones with no headphone jack.

Loving the Note 9... and I guess version 12 or 14 or something might be worth looking back at. We will probably be onto full screen zero bezel, under screen cameras, and hopefully side finger print reader (I hate the idea of a screen finger print reader) or full back reader? Hmmmm... I guess it will be full front screen... but my Note 9 I can unlock and give voice commands to *with the case closed and not pressing any buttons* because the finger print reader is on the rear.

There are a LOT of useful and used features I lose by "upgrading". At least Note 3-> Note 9 I only lost removable/replaceable batteries (and rear covers :P ). Note 9 to just the 10, I lose soooooo many.

1 - Stop comparing Onepluse's 90hz to overall system responsiveness. Most the reason for the incredibly fast feeling OS is their almost non-existent animation times. Take a Note10+ or S10+ and turn off animations in dev options in both then and the 7+ and system responsiveness is near the same. This has little to do with 90hz. 

Side note I really wish Samsung will turn down animation time, it makes a night and day difference. Yes, 90hz is nice, but not worth the battery hit for what, gaming and...scrolling instagram? Please.

2 - Hole punch. Why are people so against  taking unused space in a bezel and throwing notifications up there for extra screen real estate. Then to call it lazy yet praise other forms that are mechanical and can and will fail, less water resistance, high risk of lens scratches....

3 - "less security with lack of iris scanning".... A. You made a jab at iris scanning in this very video and said you hated it in past streams. B. Follow it up with the finger print scanner being slower than Onepluse's which is just an optical vs ultrasonic sensor and praising the less secure option. 

The Note 10+ is better in every way to the Note 9 except HP jack.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

1 - Stop comparing Onepluse's 90hz to overall system responsiveness. Most the reason for the incredibly fast feeling OS is their almost non-existent animation times. Take a Note10+ or S10+ and turn off animations in dev options in both then and the 7+ and system responsiveness is near the same.

I really wish Samsung will turn down animation time, it makes a night and day difference. Yes, 90hz is nice, but not worth the battery hit for what, gaming and...scrolling instagram? Please.

2 - Hole punch. Why are people so again taking unused space in a bezel and throwing notifications up there for extra screen real estate. Then to call it lazy yet praise other forms that are mechanical and can and will fail, less water resistance, high risk of lens scratches....

3 - "less security with lack of iris scanning".... A. You made a jab at iris scanning in this very video and said you hated it in past streams. B. Follow it up with the finger print scanner being slower than Onepluse's which is just an optical vs ultrasonic sensor and praising the less secure option. 

The Note 10+ is better in every way to the Note 9 except HP jack. 

They can fully hide the notch/hole in the OS, but don't. They could *add* the screen real estate, always leaving it black with "full screen" video, but instead leave a cutout with video. LG offer the option to "hide" it, and so do Samsung, but it's not OS wide, so looks strange in some apps. :(

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

They can fully hide the notch/hole in the OS, but don't. They could *add* the screen real estate, always leaving it black with "full screen" video, but instead leave a cutout with video. LG offer the option to "hide" it, and so do Samsung, but it's not OS wide, so looks strange in some apps. :(

True. I have the S10+, I thought it would be an eye sore coming from my S8+. I dont realize its there anymore. Its so out side my center of vision in videos its just disappears. There are some apps however that treat it like a bezel and shift everything down as if its a smaller screen. 

I dont know why it hasnt become widely adopted for people to just turn the bezel back on but leave the notification bar in all black and white. Hiding the notch but still making use of the screen

Meh all the new phone with no or very slim basils (is that how you spell it? Non native english speaker) are too fragile. I mean i don´t drop my phone all the time but it happens. I have one with thick basils (?) that are a tiny bit higher than the screen. That thing can drop on concrete with the screen facing down and the display doesn´t have a scratch... 

Fair enough points. To me they would not even be annoyances, so i think i'm gonna try the note 10+, instead of my oneplus 5t. 

Looks great to me - better go get one ASAP!

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

21 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Meh all the new phone with no or very slim basils (is that how you spell it? Non native english speaker) are too fragile. I mean i don´t drop my phone all the time but it happens. I have one with thick basils (?) that are a tiny bit higher than the screen. That thing can drop on concrete with the screen facing down and the display doesn´t have a scratch... 

It's bezel :)

It feels to me that the note 10 forgot what it should be. I am happy they took the time to go through the marketing material and call out the BS parts. Samsung should know better, but they don't.

I really don't understand why they haven't released a proper gaming phone yet...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Spec for spec, isn't the Note 10+ basically an S10+ with a pen? Skimming a site like GSMarena, it looks like dollar for dollar an S10+ would be the better option, you even gain a few things over the Note. Maybe I'm just missing something? Why are people considering this an upgrade? Honest curiosity here.

Currently running my note 9. Totally agree with the review. Feels like Samsung are making sacrifices to chase trends rather than keep the feature of it. Not to mention they're still slow as hell when it comes security updates. Just kill the OneUI and go pure android.

Also who is crying about the bezels on the note 9 that we need to squeeze an extra 15 pixels of screen at the sacrifice of front-facing speakers?

OK - just picked my Note 10+ 5G up. I am coming from an iPhone 8Plus. Waiting for my number to port over.

No headphone jack - meh

Hole punch - meh - that screen is huge and bright. Totally worth it.

256Gb storage - nice

Fingerprint sensor is slower that the 8 plus - not a huge issue.

Android transfer isn't as big a deal as I imagined.

My biggest use cases are mobile games, watching YouTube, Netflix / Amazon prime etc so the screen won me over. Just couldn't get on with the notch on the 11 pro.

Overall very pleased.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2