Magnetic Core Memory and Magnetic Logic.

Hey,
I've always been fascinated by how computers work. And I've wanted to build a 'computer' using rudimental technology ever since.
I watched Linus's video with Destin and decided it was about time I built my own memory and logic. So I went and bought myself some Ferrite Toroid Magnets. I was wondering if y'all could help me out with all the specifics?

• How do I measure the threshold voltage required to flip the magnetization of the toroid? Should I trace it's Hysteresis Curve, if so how?
  • Does the gauge of the copper wire matter?  
  • What waveform should I input? Does the frequency matter?

All the help and insight is welcome!

Best,
Karthik Shivashankar

imaginelenses@gamil.com

@imaginelenses

Magnets:

https://www.amazon.in/PERFECT-MAGNETS-Ferrite-Ceramic-Thickness/dp/B0777LL4N4/ref=pd_sbs_328_4/262-4435121-8100858?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0777LL4N4&pd_rd_r=d8d5283e-57d2-4938-9934-aea11d3fa29c&pd_rd_w=uzQxw&pd_rd_wg=mDUnB&pf_rd_p=2785a4f5-4b62-4bf0-bf3d-365a6e281498&pf_rd_r=DQF4Z2RHDRD3YM4Z1VS0&psc=1&refRID=DQF4Z2RHDRD3YM4Z1VS0

I'd suggest actually learning how magnetic memory works first, use Wikipedia and Google.

Then I'd suggest searching Google Patents for anything related to magnetic memory ... since the technology is so old, the patents have long expired and often those older patents contain useful information

On 9/12/2019 at 2:43 PM, imaginelenses said:

Hey,
I've always been fascinated by how computers work. And I've wanted to build a 'computer' using rudimental technology ever since.
I watched Linus's video with Destin and decided it was about time I built my own memory and logic. So I went and bought myself some Ferrite Toroid Magnets. I was wondering if y'all could help me out with all the specifics?

<snip>

I know nothing about magnetic core memory. In fact, you will be really hard pressed to find anybody who dose. Here's the good news, I found some information you may be interested in.

core memory shield for arduino

shield documentation

creators website

his contact information

another core mem project (with resources)

Edit: more info

contact info

more contact information

What I would do, is just buy the kit. If you enjoy pain and suffering, shoot those folks an email and make friends. The hardest part of this endeavor is going to be tracking down useful information about the topic. Most of the brilliant people who first pioneered this concept are dead. Best of luck on your project, I have to admit, it is very cool. EMP proof memory since the 50's! wake up people!

wikipedia link