970 EVO vs Sabrent Rocket

jgilbreath77

Hello all! I need some help understanding the price difference between these two m.2 drives.

Samsung 970 Evo -   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MFZXR1B/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A5EY1RUW6EL8I&psc=1

Sabrent - https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-2TB/dp/B07MTQTNVR/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=2tb+m.2+ssd&qid=1568301678&s=electronics&sr=1-5

I plan to replace the main hard drive on a new Lenovo P53 or P73.

Is there a reason the Samsung is so much more expensive, are transfer rates that much better?

Thank you and look forward to the feedback,

This video has all the answers to your questions if you have the spare time to watch it.

Bottom line is that unless you will be doing truly intensive professional work that is greatly depended on storage you are better off saving the money with the Sabrent Rocket.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

38 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

This video has all the answers to your questions if you have the spare time to watch it.

Bottom line is that unless you will be doing truly intensive professional work that is greatly depended on storage you are better off saving the money with the Sabrent Rocket.

Awesome, thank you very much I'll take a look. Appreciate the forward :)

I bought the rocket because in real world applications and every day use, you're really not going to see a noticeable performance difference between the 2 and I chose to go with high capacity since I'll definitely appreciate that more than any small speed boost. 

NVME drives are marketed in such a way as to make you think that there's a huge speed difference when in reality the difference is negligible 95% of the time.

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 6:52 PM, Thready said:

I bought the rocket because in real world applications and every day use, you're really not going to see a noticeable performance difference between the 2 and I chose to go with high capacity since I'll definitely appreciate that more than any small speed boost. 

NVME drives are marketed in such a way as to make you think that there's a huge speed difference when in reality the difference is negligible 95% of the time.

Appreciate you sharing your experience, I did go ahead and buy the Samsung 970 Evo. I primarily use my system for content creation (animation, 3D modeling, mograph). I don't know how much real world difference I experience. No way to compare the two side by side. It doesn't seem like it would be that much to be perfectly honest. M.2 drives are so damn fast it feels like splitting hairs after a certain point. If I were to do it again, I would probably have purchased two rockets. My justification was that If I'm spending all the money to have a top of the line system, why stop shot on a component that will be used literally for everything I do.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:29 AM, jgilbreath77 said:

Is there a reason the Samsung is so much more expensive, are transfer rates that much better?

Mostly because consumers are very uninformed and see Samsung as God. 

15 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

Mostly because consumers are very uninformed and see Samsung as God. 

Yeah there is a Samsung Tax

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

• 2 weeks later...