Is the 3900X worth waiting for or should i just get the 9900k?

tsunoda

So, i was going to be purchacing a 3900X as my system is having stability issues (god knows whats wrong with it)

This was going to be a full upgrade replacing everything but the gpu and some of my hard drives.

With the current stock issues ive not been able to find a single 3900X from any retailer speaking to people no one can give me a date as to when they will be available for purchace (if you have that information that would be awsome)

so naturally im looking at the 9900K, is it worth waiting for the 3900X? what are the common issues with the 9900K?

ive been out of keeping up to date with every thing for a while now, roughly 2 ish years (news and such) so is there anything i should know about either cpu that could be a deal breaker?

Thanks

wait for the 3950x which is coming or just wait for the 3900x to come back in stock.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X Processor (Stock, -0.1V offset)  /// Motherboard: Asus Pro WS X570-Ace /// CPU Cooler: Deepcool GamerStorm Castle 360 RGB V2 /// GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8G /// RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 128GB (4x32GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout TG /// PSU: Corsair RM850i /// Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe (boot) + 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe (Working Drive) + 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD RAID0 (Game Library) + 2TB Seagate BarraCuda (Backup) /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Peripherals (Main Rig): Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 + Logitech G903 Lightspeed /// Keyboard: Keychron Q1 ANSI - JWK Lavender Linear Switches (TX Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Durock V2 Stabilisers, Polycarbonate Plate, Tape Mod, GMK Blue Samurai + Keychron K4 V2 Hotswap RGB Aluminum Frame - Gateron Milky Black (Deskeys Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Foam Mod, Tape Mod, GMK Rainy Day PBT Clones /// Tablet: Wacom Intuos M BT /// Monitor: 4x LG 27UL500-W (4K IPS Freesync) /// DAC: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 /// Speakers: Logitech Z625 /// Mic: Focusrite CM25 MkII /// Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, ATH-LS70iS IEMs /// Racing Wheel: Logitech G920 Driving Force with Shifter /// Eye Tracker: Steelseries Sentry  /// External Drives: 500GB Samsung T5 SSD (Working Drive)

Home Server - NASty: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700x Processor /// Motherboard: Asus PRIME X470-Pro  /// CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 /// GPU: Gigabyte GeForce® GT 1030 OC 2G /// RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R5 Window /// PSU: Corsair RM750x /// Storage: LSI SAS 9211-8i (IT Mode) + 10x 4TB Seagate Exos Enterprise Drive /// OS: UNRaid

Tester Rig: CPU: AMD Athlon™ 200GE Processor /// Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero WIFI  /// CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism RGB /// GPU: Palit GeForce® GTX 1050 2GB StromX /// RAM: Klevv Bolt 8GB (1x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15 /// Chassis: The AMAZING $30 "Computer Case"! /// PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 /// Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD + 240GB Transcend SSD220S 2.5" SATA SSD /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop (Asus UX430UN): CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor  /// GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 /// RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz /// Storage: 512GB SanDisk SD8SN8U512G1002 (boot) /// OS: Windows 10 Home

Other Tech: Console: Xbox One S 1TB, Apple TV 4K /// Printer: Canon imageCLASS MF635Cx /// Phone: Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB Graphite (Daily Driver)  /// Tablet: Apple iPad 9.7-inch Wi-Fi (2018) 32GB + Apple Pencil (1st Generation) /// Headphones: Apple Airpods Pro, Sony WF-1000XM3, Sony WH-1000XM3 /// Smartwatch: Apple Watch Series 6 GPS Space Grey

Cameras: Bodies: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,  Sony A6000 /// Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L II USM, Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM, Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Canon), Sony SEL-P1650 E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS /// Lighting: 2x Godox SL60-W Continuous LED, 2x Canon Speedlite 580EXII /// Tripods: Leofoto LS-324C Carbon Fiber Tripod + Leofoto LH-40 Ballhead, Leofoto MC-80 Multipurpose Clamp, Triopo DG-3 Gimbal Head /// Yes, I am a Canon Fanboy, deal with it

What do you need the system for? Of it's work, the 3900X no contest. If for gaming only, the 3700X makes more sense. The 9900K is mostly for very high refresh gaming.

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

What do you need the system for? Of it's work, the 3900X no contest. If for gaming only, the 3700X makes more sense. The 9900K is mostly for very high refresh gaming.

both gaming and work, I use Maya and Cinema 4d though the render is using octaine so the core count isnt exactly a huge deal.

high refresh is something ive been wanting to get into

Just now, tsunoda said:

both gaming and work, I use Maya and Cinema 4d though the render is using octaine so the core count isnt exactly a huge deal.

high refresh is something ive been wanting to get into

Then the 9900K makes absolutely no sense

The 3900X is 50% more powerful for the same money while also being more efficient

12 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Then the 9900K makes absolutely no sense

No, it does, it just depends more on what OP wants to prioritize. If OP would rather a no compromises gaming system that's also excellent in workloads like Maya and Cinema 4D, then the 9900K is the system to go with. If OP would rather focus on productivity, then the R9 3900X is the best option that also happens to make a great gaming CPU.

Although, if OP mentioned that CPU rendering isn't a concern, then the 3900X makes less sense. You'd be throwing threads at a workload that might not ever utilize it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

In gaming the 3900X is only 4-5% behind the 9900K. In productivity and rendering the i9 is 50% behind the 3900X. One thing is not like the other

In some games that are historically Intel dominated for high refresh like CSGO, AMD 3000 chips are performing better iirc

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

16 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

In gaming the 3900X is only 4-5% behind the 9900K. In productivity and rendering the i9 is 50% behind the 3900X. One thing is not like the other

I believe you've missed the point.

If the OP isn't going to rely on CPU rendering, then most of those rendering benchmarks showing the 50% jump in performance aren't going to be applicable to the discussion. Actual design and animation in Cinema 4D uses far less threads than during render (presumably also applicable to Maya), so the 9900K will win in regular usage and gaming, while the 3900X would win in CPU rendering if the OP needed CPU rendering.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

I believe you've missed the point.

If the OP isn't going to rely on CPU rendering, then most of those rendering benchmarks showing the 50% jump in performance aren't going to be applicable to the discussion. Actual design and animation in Cinema 4D are more single threaded bound (presumably also applicable to Maya), so the 9900K will win in regular usage and gaming, while the 3900X would win in CPU rendering if the OP needed CPU rendering.

Depends on whether the application prefers IPC or ckockspeed. Our in-house software is oddly IPC bound. Similar to what you see with CSGO on the gaming end.