Idle computer freezes after exactly 10 minutes 42 seconds

Have a strange problem....

I have a thunderbolt 3 GPU dock with a 2060 in it, but the computer freezes after exactly 10 minutes 42 seconds of being idle, the machine become completely unresponsive, but if it’s under load like a game it’s fine and stable for hours...

Specs;

laptop: asus zepherus m (GM501GS)

Intel 8750h 

16GB DDR4 2666 MHz ram

256GB NVME boot ssd (Samsung)

2TB seagate firecuda HDD

Full desktop class GTX 1070 (stuck in safe mode, bad power sensor I think)

dock: asus XG Station

RTX 2060 (msi ventus OC)

also of note, the reason I got the EGPU is because the 1070 on the laptop is stuck in safe mode (clock speed locked to 130mhz) and I’m thinking it’s because of the power sensor, it thinks the GPU is pulling 600+ watts (laptop only has a 230W PSU) the 1070 is currently disabled in device manager because if it is not games try to use it instead of the 2060 in the dock

any ideas?

3 hours ago, ETHREAL1 said:

because the 1070 on the laptop is stuck in safe mode (clock speed locked to 130mhz) and I’m thinking it’s because of the power sensor,

That's most likely the reason.

But even ignoring that, you can't just disable your built-in GPU and expect the system to work properly.
GPU drivers need to be removed, features such as nvidia optimus or some similar power saving tech built in by the manufacturer, that you, as the user, probably has no control over, need to be configured a new. Same goes for other system drivers and/or pre-installed “bloatware” like software from the manufacturer for the specific device. (I mean we are talking about the creator of AI suite here). Compatibility for/with the external dock(s) & card used need to be made sure....

I’m gonna assume that after 10min and 43seconds of inactivity the GPU is meant to be shut off or something similar, which the system probably will do, but due to lack of communication & driver support, something goes wrong and boom - freeze.
Or the dock is simply shutting “off” after that time of inactivity and the same story happens.
Maybe the card, dock or thunderbolt connection does not provide the proper signal to tell the laptop to use the iGPU now.
Maybe you simply need to run from an external monitor, directly connecting to the external GPU to fix it.
Maybe you need to enable your 1070 again.
Maybe maybe maybe… XYZ

Bottom line is, you are using niche technology on a system that has known issues… So yea..

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

22 hours ago, Nord said:

That's most likely the reason.

But even ignoring that, you can't just disable your built-in GPU and expect the system to work properly.
GPU drivers need to be removed, features such as nvidia optimus or some similar power saving tech built in by the manufacturer, that you, as the user, probably has no control over, need to be configured a new. Same goes for other system drivers and/or pre-installed “bloatware” like software from the manufacturer for the specific device. (I mean we are talking about the creator of AI suite here). Compatibility for/with the external dock(s) & card used need to be made sure....

I’m gonna assume that after 10min and 43seconds of inactivity the GPU is meant to be shut off or something similar, which the system probably will do, but due to lack of communication & driver support, something goes wrong and boom - freeze.
Or the dock is simply shutting “off” after that time of inactivity and the same story happens.
Maybe the card, dock or thunderbolt connection does not provide the proper signal to tell the laptop to use the iGPU now.
Maybe you simply need to run from an external monitor, directly connecting to the external GPU to fix it.
Maybe you need to enable your 1070 again.
Maybe maybe maybe… XYZ

Bottom line is, you are using niche technology on a system that has known issues… So yea..

First clean install of windows, second I used DDU before disabling the 1070, third the laptop has an intel iGPU and a full desktop class 1070 DGPU, only the DGPU is stuck so disabling the 1070 did not affect the video output, (not a total moron, have built 3 desktops and repaired 6 laptops) fourth I figured it out, do to a home group policy from asus the thunderbolt 3 was considered a USB and fell under the USB power save mode thing witch after 10 minutes would sleep the thunderbolt 3 connection to the dock, this would in turn cause the Nvidia drivers to lock up

also of note, I suspect that asus assumed that the thunderbolt would never have a EGPU connected to it because of 1070 and the policy that inherently brakes PCI-e over thunderbolt and the fact that I have noticed that video return from the EGPU to the onboard panel just straight up does not work