Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AwesomePete

Upgrade suggestions

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone

I am looking to upgrade my PC to the new Ryzen processor and have a smaller presents on my desk. Please give me any suggestions on my build, I am flexible with everything apart from the size.

 

Budget & Location

I am in Australia and have a flexible budget but I am trying to stick around $1000 Aud in total. I have planning to buy some part second hand and pull the graphics card out of the current computer. 

 

Aim

It will be using it for mostly gaming, LOL, Borderlands, AOC, Battle Front 2, warframe. but I do sometimes do light video editing and 3d modelling. I also do a lot of multi tasking. 

 

Monitors 

I am currently running 2 monitors at 1080p 60hz And would be looking for going to 144hz monitor at some point in the future. 

 

Peripherals

I have a mouse, keyboard and monitors. I am still deciding if I pull windows for me old computer or keep it as HTPC. I Will be upgrading at least one of my monitors to a 144hz but that will be some time away. 

 

Reasoning

MY current PC is 5 years old, Running an i7 in a full-size case and I want to upgrade to a smaller case and to 144hz gaming in the future


 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/n8w4tg

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor 

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (I am trying to cut cost going with last gen) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 

Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280  Solid State Drive 

Storage: Seagate BarraCuda Pro Compute 1 TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Secondhand)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB Phoenix Fan Edition Video Card  (Taking for old computer)

Case: Aerocool DS Cube Black Edition Silent Cube MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (Secondhand)( As long as it small happy for suggestions)

Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  (Secondhand)

 

Total: $971.77

 

Generated by PCPartPicker 

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vT9DCb

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice build. Have you considered an NVME for storage though? A Corsair Force MP300 M.2 2280 240GB for instance might be around the same price as the 500GB regular SATA SSD but you'd get 3x the performance!

 

I would also consider an AIO water cooler for the RYZEN 3600. The stock cooler is fine but it can be a bit loud. A cheap AIO Water Cooler can be really silent even under heavy loads if you're not overclocking.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd recommend saving a few $ by going with an Ryzen 5 2600, the additional cost of the Ryzen 5 3600 does not justify the small performance gap.

 

If the case is mATX, you can go with an mATX board - no need to spend extra for the smaller ITX size.

 

I can't recommend buying a Seagate drive, especially not a used one.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

I'd recommend saving a few $ by going with an Ryzen 5 2600, the additional cost of the Ryzen 5 3600 does not justify the small performance gap.

 

If the case is mATX, you can go with an mATX board - no need to spend extra for the smaller ITX size.

 

I can't recommend buying a Seagate drive, especially not a used one.

 

 

Erm, no? The 3600 has a solid 15-18% performance uplift compared to the 2600. That would be a big downgrade if he buys a 2600. I do agree about the used Barracuda, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

I'd recommend saving a few $ by going with an Ryzen 5 2600, the additional cost of the Ryzen 5 3600 does not justify the small performance gap.

 

$50 for 20% increase in performance is perfectly justifiable IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wreakinghavoc said:

Nice build. Have you considered an NVME for storage though? A Corsair Force MP300 M.2 2280 240GB for instance might be around the same price as the 500GB regular SATA SSD but you'd get 3x the performance!

 

I would also consider an AIO water cooler for the RYZEN 3600. The stock cooler is fine but it can be a bit loud. A cheap AIO Water Cooler can be really silent even under heavy loads if you're not overclocking.

 

An AIO is pointless considering even a 30$ Freezer 34 will keep the 3600 extremely cool under load

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
26 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

I'd recommend saving a few $ by going with an Ryzen 5 2600, the additional cost of the Ryzen 5 3600 does not justify the small performance gap.

 

If the case is mATX, you can go with an mATX board - no need to spend extra for the smaller ITX size.

 

I can't recommend buying a Seagate drive, especially not a used one.

 

 

Ok, I will look into mATX, Do you have any suggestions?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
30 minutes ago, wreakinghavoc said:

Nice build. Have you considered an NVME for storage though? A Corsair Force MP300 M.2 2280 240GB for instance might be around the same price as the 500GB regular SATA SSD but you'd get 3x the performance!

 

I would also consider an AIO water cooler for the RYZEN 3600. The stock cooler is fine but it can be a bit loud. A cheap AIO Water Cooler can be really silent even under heavy loads if you're not overclocking.

 

I have been tempted to get a cooler, i was trying to keep the price down and was unsure the the $50AUD for a decent cooler was worth the small performance increase (I am unlike to try over clocking). am wrong that it is a small increase? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AwesomePete said:

I have been tempted to get a cooler, i was trying to keep the price down and was unsure the the $50AUD for a decent cooler was worth the small performance increase (I am unlike to try over clocking). am wrong that it is a small increase? 

Just grab a cheap cooler like the Freezer eSports 34 or 212 Evo

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FlappyBoobs said:

 

$50 for 20% increase in performance is perfectly justifiable IMO.

$50? Our prices have the 3600 at roughly the 160% of an Ryzen 2600. Paying 50-70% more for a 15-20% performance increase (with a high end GPU) in my opinion isn't worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×