Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultrasnoop

soldering

Posted · Original PosterOP

i have been trying to connect a led with another led i put a piece of wire on each of the copper pads and soldered them on, but the led does not work. is there something i'm missing.

also can solder carry electricity or is it just a glue to keep everything together

Adm

LEDs have a certain direction they work in. the power must flow from the anode (+)to the cathode (-), or else they do not work. the anode is alway the longer leg of the LED, while the cathode shoud be the shorter one.

a picture of what you're trying to do would really help here aswell!

EDIT

yes, solder will carry electricity just fine. it's main function is to electrically connect a component to something else.

X399M Taichi - Threadripper 1950X - Titan X Pascal - GTX 1070 FE - Dominator Plats SE Contrast - InWin 301 - EVGA 850 G2 - Full Custom Watercooling

BlackMac Woody  60% Keyboard

Have you kept the polarity right? If you connected them + to + or - to -, then they won't work.

Main system: i7 8700k 5Ghz / Asus Prime Z370-A / Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000Mhz / Gigabyte RTX2080 Aorus Extreme / EVGA 750W GQ / Fractal Design Meshify C

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

it has 5V/R/G/B, i did make the mistake of having the 5V connected to B but i fixed that and it still didn't work

edit: this is a school project where we have to make a lamp out of a LED strip, the only led that isn't working is the last one and i did check all the other solder jobs i did and they are perfect, at the moment i'm in the polish and shine stage of the job but i would like the last led to work or my OCD is going to kill me.

ill add some photos if i can but it'll have to be in about a week until i can do that

conclusion: i did check if the led is faulty by just cutting it off and pasting a new one in but it still didn't work.

the little copper slits are sitting on some metal but it works fine at the start of the strip which is also sitting on some metal.

Edited by Ultrasnoop
added [REDACTED]

Adm

ESD grounded soldering tip
don't heat them too much
if they pop dry them in the oven
last step would be using low temperature solderpaste
if you use 0603 you need a PCB below. All my trys to make it work with just wires in between resulted in  some cracked LEDs.

12 hours ago, Ultrasnoop said:

conclusion: i did check if the led is faulty by just cutting it off and pasting a new one in but it still didn't work.

the little copper slits are sitting on some metal but it works fine at the start of the strip which is also sitting on some metal.

A picture might help as well. How many LEDs? Are they connected in series, in which case, are you supplying enough voltage to run them all?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9360 | CPU: i5 7200U | RAM: 8 GB

ill get those photos in about 3 to 5 days, that's the next time i can work on my job

Adm

and what i meant from cutting and pasting a new led on

images.jpg

was just by putting a new part of the strip on and using solder to connect the two copper pads together

edit: ill see if i can sneak into my classroom and get a couple of photos, if i so am successful then you'll have some images to go off and help me in my endeavor

Adm

7 hours ago, tikker said:

A picture might help as well. How many LEDs? Are they connected in series, in which case, are you supplying enough voltage to run them all?

there's enough voltage going through, one of my classmates used the who strip and i only used part of it and his worked fine

Adm

1 hour ago, Ultrasnoop said:

thingo

<snip>

sorry about the shit quality

Is strip A connected to strip B? like off camera? and which strip doesn't work? (your pics aren't that bad, I've seen worse)

image.png.ee976b19bac79ee65967108843f9478c.png

Edit: Also check the continuity of your connections, you might have a cold joint.

Another Edit: and just to cover all bases, 5v is +, r,g&b are -, ground.

Strip A is the bed of the strip, I did check all of the connections and even if one of them were cold it's just that last led that won't work for whatever reason

Edit: 5V = +, R/B/G = -. Gotya

Adm