Phone related videos serving only the immature spenders

turgsh01
9 hours ago, -Kriss- said:

Wow i forgot to say battery size matters too, all my other points are now invalid. To say that software plays a minor role isnt wrong. 

No i do understand you point, but what you consider bloatware is crucial features for the vast majority of people. You want to throw away the primary purpouse smartphones were made for because you'd rather have diminishing returns in battery life.

why dont you just get one a budget phone and install lineage and then uninstall the apps?

lol, you still haven't figured out which part you got wrong and now there's terrible grammar / spelling. Just go away.

It's really sad how some of you completely missed the purpose of this topic and instead try to defend the screwed up market just because you're happy with your phone.

Call quality is nice, but... it's 2019.  Phone calls are considerably less important than they were a decade ago.  That's not to say they're unimportant to everyone, but it's understandable why they're not terribly high on the priority list.  Strictly anecdotally, if I get a phone call it's either spam or something important enough that there's no other choice -- virtually everyone I know prefers to text, email or social instead.  Call quality is also partly the responsibility of carriers, and VoLTE only goes so far.

Software updates aren't perfect, but please don't ignore them.  The chances of your phone becoming worse are small, but you're also leaving your phone vulnerable to attack by refusing to patch up.  (For reference: your phone is only 'secure' because it's old enough to be a virtually non-existent target.)

As for phones... why not get a Motorola G7 Play, or a regular G7 if you can?  Starts at $230 off-contract (on Rogers, anyway) from a known brand.

I do think we obsess over minutiae at times when getting phones.  There's a limit to the qualitative improvements in camera, display and processor improvements, and software features are only so useful.  But if you treat your phone as your main computing device, those features do matter to a degree -- and if you're going to spend a lot, you might as well get the best device that meets your needs.

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

Call quality is nice, but... it's 2019.  Phone calls are considerably less important than they were a decade ago.  That's not to say they're unimportant to everyone, but it's understandable why they're not terribly high on the priority list.  Strictly anecdotally, if I get a phone call it's either spam or something important enough that there's no other choice -- virtually everyone I know prefers to text, email or social instead.  Call quality is also partly the responsibility of carriers, and VoLTE only goes so far.

Software updates aren't perfect, but please don't ignore them.  The chances of your phone becoming worse are small, but you're also leaving your phone vulnerable to attack by refusing to patch up.  (For reference: your phone is only 'secure' because it's old enough to be a virtually non-existent target.)

As for phones... why not get a Motorola G7 Play, or a regular G7 if you can?  Starts at $230 off-contract (on Rogers, anyway) from a known brand.

I do think we obsess over minutiae at times when getting phones.  There's a limit to the qualitative improvements in camera, display and processor improvements, and software features are only so useful.  But if you treat your phone as your main computing device, those features do matter to a degree -- and if you're going to spend a lot, you might as well get the best device that meets your needs.

I don't know if you're a kid or not, but if you're not making phone calls, then I imagine you either have a landline (which is still no excuse) or you have more pics of yourself on your phone than anyone else and this topic isn't for you. All the tenants in my building, my landlord, my family and friends all go about half and half with calls and texts. If it's something important or long drawn out, it's a phone call, if it's just a quick message, then it's a text. I know others will have a different experience as some are more social than others, but this is my experience.

Also, I'm a certified computer technician with over 15 years experience. Tech is a huge part of my life, and the one thing I hear most is "updates are so important, blah blah blah". All 3 of my personal computers have no background running anti-virus, no firewall, Windows 7 which hasn't received security update in 2+ years, I currently have around 50+ other devices on my network from other tenants in my building, etc... I never get attacked, I never get viruses and yet I use my computers just like everyone else. Doing regular updates is just something you're influenced by the media into believing they're that important. Getting attacked is like winning the Lottery, sure it happens, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as you think it does, and when it does happen, usually, no amount of updates will save you. No sense in worrying about it. Just back up your stuff and do not let your devices memorize your passwords or do any online banking stuff without first checking for spyware and the attackers will receive nothing important for their efforts.

And if I can't get a phone with a battery that lasts about a week or more, then I'm not interested. And again, you missed the purpose of this topic.

1 hour ago, turgsh01 said:

I don't know if you're a kid or not, but if you're not making phone calls, then I imagine you either have a landline (which is still no excuse) or you have more pics of yourself on your phone than anyone else and this topic isn't for you. All the tenants in my building, my landlord, my family and friends all go about half and half with calls and texts. If it's something important or long drawn out, it's a phone call, if it's just a quick message, then it's a text. I know others will have a different experience as some are more social than others, but this is my experience.

Also, I'm a certified computer technician with over 15 years experience. Tech is a huge part of my life, and the one thing I hear most is "updates are so important, blah blah blah". All 3 of my personal computers have no background running anti-virus, no firewall, Windows 7 which hasn't received security update in 2+ years, I currently have around 50+ other devices on my network from other tenants in my building, etc... I never get attacked, I never get viruses and yet I use my computers just like everyone else. Doing regular updates is just something you're influenced by the media into believing they're that important. Getting attacked is like winning the Lottery, sure it happens, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as you think it does, and when it does happen, usually, no amount of updates will save you. No sense in worrying about it. Just back up your stuff and do not let your devices memorize your passwords or do any online banking stuff without first checking for spyware and the attackers will receive nothing important for their efforts.

And if I can't get a phone with a battery that lasts about a week or more, then I'm not interested. And again, you missed the purpose of this topic.

I'm very much an adult, and it's just about living in a very tech-savvy social circle.  All the people I know are more likely to hit you up by text, email, Facebook Messenger, FaceTime/Skype video chats, even Twitter DMs... that includes my parents! It's partly a generational thing, partly that we're all comfortable.

And I'm sorry, but leaving your system exposed like that is irresponsible.  Never mind yourself, do you really want to be responsible for someone else's device being compromised?  Remember, you might not even know that someone else on the local network is a victim.  The point is not that you're likely to be attacked, it's that you don't want that rare instance of an attack to succeed because you were being sloppy.  When I was younger, I was very lazy with security, like you... and then someone jacked my Amazon account and ordered something as a prank, even though I didn't have browsers memorize passwords.  I really hope you don't have to learn better security first-hand.

Also, you're wrong that "no amount of updates will save you."  Many malware attacks are exploiting old vulnerabilities that people haven't bothered to patch.  For example, BlueKeep.  Microsoft released a patch in May, even for unsupported platforms like yours, but that didn't stop attackers from releasing an exploit in early September.  Why?  Because they know  targets like you are out there.

I very much understand the purpose of the topic -- it's just baffling that you spend a large chunk of your original post declaring yourself a tastemaker, what phone manufacturers should focus their time on and what people supposedly feel about smartphones.  I know I'm not a textbook example, but I do know that many people (especially younger adults) make conventional phone calls far less these days.  I can agree that we get hung up on small differences more than we should... but if you're expecting Apple and Samsung to say "you know what, he's right, let's do a 180, focus on call quality, and sacrifice features to get that week-long battery life," you have another thing coming.  It's not going to hurt to join the modern era.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Well if you recognize me for the replies I make on the phone forum...

Have a look at the upcoming Samsung M30s...

Oled screen on 6000mAh device

Now we're getting somewhere. Though according to the sites I visited for info, it's 5Ah, not 6 (unless I'm looking at the wrong version?). But still, the advertised 5 days of battery life is a lot better than the usual 1 or 2. I might even be able to squeeze a little more time out of it by disabling some of the stuff I don't need like Bluetooth and wifi when I don't need them on, use normal password unlock instead of camera / fingerprint sensors, etc. Thanks for this... I'll look further into it tomorrow when I have the time. Interesting how Linus never bothered to mention it in videos. It being a Samsung too... was hoping to get one from either them or Google.

And sorry, I don't recognize you, I'm still new here.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

And I'm sorry, but leaving your system exposed like that is irresponsible.  Never mind yourself, do you really want to be responsible for someone else's device being compromised?  Remember, you might not even know that someone else on the local network is a victim.  The point is not that you're likely to be attacked, it's that you don't want that rare instance of an attack to succeed because you were being sloppy.  When I was younger, I was very lazy with security, like you... and then someone jacked my Amazon account and ordered something as a prank, even though I didn't have browsers memorize passwords.  I really hope you don't have to learn better security first-hand.

Also, you're wrong that "no amount of updates will save you."  Many malware attacks are exploiting old vulnerabilities that people haven't bothered to patch.  For example, BlueKeep.  Microsoft released a patch in May, even for unsupported platforms like yours, but that didn't stop attackers from releasing an exploit in early September.  Why?  Because they know  targets like you are out there.

I very much understand the purpose of the topic -- it's just baffling that you spend a large chunk of your original post declaring yourself a tastemaker, what phone manufacturers should focus their time on and what people supposedly feel about smartphones.  I know I'm not a textbook example, but I do know that many people (especially younger adults) make conventional phone calls far less these days.  I can agree that we get hung up on small differences more than we should... but if you're expecting Apple and Samsung to say "you know what, he's right, let's do a 180, focus on call quality, and sacrifice features to get that week-long battery life," you have another thing coming.  It's not going to hurt to join the modern era.

As I said before, tech is a huge part of my life. I know all about the vulnerabilities, including the one that's apparently been around for 2 years and no mobile customer knew about it until yesterday. I'm sure there's a lot more vulnerabilities that we also don't know about yet. Like I said, it doesn't matter if you update or not, if it's your Lottery day, then so be it, no sense in worrying about it. If you're smart about 2 factor authentication wherever possible and other means to secure your accounts and avoid sketchy sites, then that's about all you can do to be somewhat safe. Updates obviously do help a little in security, but just not nearly as much as most ppl think it does.

And I never suggested that the current phones shouldn't exist... I know a lot of the customers want these flashy features in phones and don't care about battery life, but manufacturers should also give a little love to the ones who prefer battery life over features too, cuz some of us really need it.

And 8 kbps audio quality does desperately need to be improved on... there's just no arguing with that. Not only is it something the big guys could probably easily do internally, but it doesn't make sense as to why they haven't done it already.

On 9/13/2019 at 11:51 PM, huilun02 said:

Well if you recognize me for the replies I make on the phone forum...

Have a look at the upcoming Samsung M30s...

Oled screen on 6000mAh device

Ok, after realizing my own stupidity... You're right about it being 6000mAh. Took me this long to realize cuz I only just now had the time to extensively research the M30 series phones and stumbled onto the M30s soon to release. I gotta say, I'm quite excited to get my hands on that M30s 4gb version. Let's just hope it doesn't catch fire. lol I will of course wait for a proper review before buying though to make sure I don't just waste my money.

Thank you again.