Are AM2 and AM3 motherboard backplates the same?

illavbill

So, I bought a used mobo/proc/AIO cooler (preinstalled) and have upgraded my processor past what the 120mm will deal with (FX-8350) and an old AIO.  I just bought a new EVGA CLC 280 and it doesn't come with a backplate for the AMD installs... great.  Never looked at the back and I'm about to get the 280 in the mail in like 2 hours and I have a new case to move everything into also (with a GIGANTIC hole behind the proc at least thank god!).

My PC has a Kuhler 620 installed and from the install guide it looks like the stock backplate is not used and the guy that sold me the mobo didn't give me that piece and its been MANY years so that's a no-go.

HOWEVER, I have two AM2 motherboards, one with an original Cooler Master v8 installed which for the life of me I can't find the box or the install guide for even online - i thought my Google-foo was good :(.

Anyway, The PC w/ the V8 has a bad power supply and has been in that state for a long time and will probably stay that way, but I do have a power supply that I could put on, but I'm hoping someone can give me the courage to tear apart that rig to pull the back plate and install it on my AM3 motherboard.

Anybody done this before?  I also have an essentially brand new AM2 board I haven't taken out of the box that i'd rather not tear apart, but we'll see I guess.

The PC w/ the V8 if it still has the stock back is an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe board which has two bad lan ports and I might just junk it and put my newer AM2 in it's place, but I'm not sure yet.  Does that have a standard backplate that would fit on my AM3 mobo a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 rev1.1?

Any reassurance would be wonderful.  

Thanks

UGH!  Just found a YT video showing it has a custom back plate for the original v8 I can't believe I tossed that back plate, I keep sooo much junk.  Time to go dig through PC boxes.  I guess worst case scenario is I just take apart the nice pretty much brand new AM2 motherboard and use it's back plate or see if it fits.  

I think I just answered my own question though, if my AMD heat sinks have fit on all of my prior boards (stock) they should all have the same back plate, right?  This is so lame.

The board that's not in use - the nicer AM2 is an ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe board.

I guess, best case scenario is the back plate fits my new system and I just put that 120 AIO on that board or sell it with it if I ever do anything with it LOL.

Okay, so... this is the second thread that I think I posted and answered on my own ROFL.

So, on Noctura's website, I see they had a post asking how to tell if it's a regular AMD back plate and gave a list of motherboards, all three of mine are on there!

https://noctua.at/en/support/compatibility-lists/mainboard

That's for making their coolers compatible with others.

I hope this all works out because I"m going to have to tear my whole PC apart, but I can't complain too much I got a Cooler Master Storm Trooper white case the other day for $45 in new condition and an Enermax Liqtech 240mm AIO for $40 in great condition, but the guy had it on an intel, we had all but the spacer which Enermax is sending in the mail which will be here Saturday, but I don't want to wait and I bought the EVGA CLC 280 which is great that it seems to just mount to the stock back plate, but I don't have it.  

I'm going to dig further to see if I still have the M2N SLI Deluxe's plate first because that board is on it's way out, but it has an okay-ish proc in it currently.

When the EVGA cooler shows up (guaranteed by 9PM and it's 730) I can try the AMD threaded adapters in the good board before tearing it apart at least.

Lame lame lame.  Oh well I got the Mobo Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, Kuhler 620 AIO, and an AMD Phenom II X4 955 like 5 or more years ago for $150 I guess I can't complain much and I put some RAM (16GB Black Friday $100) SSDs in there and the FX-8350 ($80) and Nvidia 1660 GTX XC Ultra ($250) recently that's actually a pretty dang good gaming system for my needs for not much.  Well, and now the $120 for the 280mm cooler.

Sorry for my self posting and rambling, I'm stressed out even though I've built many dozens of PCs I've never had to worry about this situation.  Its  not like I won't be able to use my PC if I need to leave the Kuhler on there its been on the 8350 for many months and i've only had one shutdown and a few mobo beeps here and there haha.

Yep, it's not anywhere around here apparently.  I can't believe that's like the only freaking computer part that I've ever thrown away!  This isn't going to help my computer parts hoarding issues lol.

Water cooler is here and I jacked the back plate from the m3a32 and all the holes lined up and i'm just praying this gigabyte mobo doesn't have some weird thing that stops me from installing it!  I'll report back when/if it works.... to myself I guess.  ROFL ?

They worked just fine, phew!  Had all sorts of problems fitting it all in this dang case or i should say setting everything up without any visible wires and making the power cables reach everything ugh.