Windows 10 update from 1803 to 1903 failing

Dzzs

I'm trying to update from 1803 (17134.1006) to 1903 so I can use the Xbox Game pass to download games which requires 1903. Posting here is my last resort before a clean install of Windows which I really don't want to do. I've spent the past 2 days looking all over and doing everything suggested with no luck. I'm hoping maybe someone here knows how to interpret some logs or anything to help me fix this.

Windows 10 64bit (same install that upgraded long ago from Windows 7)

Intel 5820k overclocked to 4.4GHz (completely stable for years shouldn't be an issue)

Gigabyte Extreme Gaming 980ti

32GB Ram

Samsung 950Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (C drive)

Old 128GB Samsung SSD

3TB Seagate HDD

What I've tried..

Removing all antivirus (Kaspersky and Malwarebytes)

Update Nvidia drivers

Remove all USB devices except mouse and keyboard

Check for updates in the default updates way with nothing available (including 1903 not being offered)

Restarting windows update service

Running the different windows repair commands (although if those could be shared to try again and save for future reference that would be great)

Checking for yellow *!* for driver issues in device manager 

Disabling as many startup programs and services as possible

Windows update assistant for 1903 specifically

Windows 1903 .iso (only way I got any error messages)

There's probably more I've tried but I'm so frustrated at this point I can't remember.

I do have other network drives that I haven't disconnected if that can cause issues like the external USB storage can.

Everything goes fine up until the final restart then it stays in the motherboard splash screen loading for a while doing some restarts then eventually just pops back into windows after reverting to 1803 and gives the error code (0xC1900101 - 0x20017) failed in the SAFE_OS phase. I only get that error if I use the .iso setup.exe. Any other method just reverts to 1803 with no indication of what happened. These logs from C\$Windows.~BT/Sources/Panther seem to be relevant from what I've seen? Uninstalling Malwarebytes did make the setuperr log shorter but that uicciso.dll is still there and 32 bit hive not found thing. I have no idea what I'm looking at in those logs. I'll provide any other info required to get this sorted out, just point me to what and where you need. If anyone can please look over these logs and point out what they need fixed I would be beyond grateful. Searching that dll didn't return anything helpful.

Here are those logs. Thank you to anyone trying to help!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tzjm8rim8z7pn04/AADsKUAqSuNaxx7X2PaxYvaYa?dl=0

I've had this upgrade break two installs so far, I did lots of research and tried some of the workarounds posted online but it never actually got me anywhere. I ended up doing a fresh install both times.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

How bad is doing a fresh install these days? Most of my games and data is on either my other drives or network storage. So data loss isn't a concern. I will just have to spend a few hours finding all the installers and tweaks for things I've done over the years. At this point I would have been better off just doing a fresh install, but with so much time spent trying to fix it now I would prefer not to. I can't just ignore it and continue using 1803 now that I know I'm having this issue it's going to bother me until I get it fixed.

36 minutes ago, Dzzs said:

Windows 10 64bit (same install that upgraded long ago from Windows 7)

This is why it's failing.

You should have never done the upgrade, you needed to do a clean install if you wanted to avoid issues in the future.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

This is why it's failing.

You should have never done the upgrade, you needed to do a clean install if you wanted to avoid issues in the future.

I was afraid that was the problem. It's caused issues in the past, but a clean install means so much time setting things back up I've always avoided it.