Better Apple CEO: Steve Jobs or Tim Cook?

Jackgamer91

Better Apple CEO?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Jobs vs. Cook

• Jobs
    • Cook

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

but for some dumb reason people always took it as "notch is eating into the screen estate".

Because it does, like every other company is making more innovative ways of having increased display to bezel ratio, or making the notch as small as possible.

15 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Because it does, like every other company is making more innovative ways of having increased display to bezel ratio, or making the notch as small as possible.

Yeah, they are doing it NOW. Before, they all copied the Apple's notch because it was at that time the only working solution to increase screen size. And frankly I understand why Apple didn't go with lets be frank, stupid motorized and popping up cameras for iPhone 11. They are skipping that and going for under display selfie cam next generation. Coz that's how you properly solve the issue. I'll only have an issue if they still won't have that. Then it's going to be a problem for them.

I think people underestimate Cook.

Sure, Jobs is the guy everyone remembers, and of course he played a big role in making Apple what they are today, but Cook-era Apple generated a lot of interesting products as well. The Apple Watch is undoubtedly going to be a big thing for Apple in the future, and devices like the iPad Pro or the iPhone X marked great steps in the evolution of product lines that have little to no evolution left.

People always say certain things wouldn't have happened under Jobs, but I doubt it. Apple wasn't what they are today when he was around, and their products were very different as well.

12 minutes ago, Yeroh said:

The Apple Watch is undoubtedly going to be a big thing for Apple in the future, and devices like the iPad Pro or the iPhone X marked great steps in the evolution of product lines that have little to no evolution left.

That's a good point, the Apple Watch is probably one of the best devices Apple has made, and one of if not the best all around smartwatch. X was a good step forward, they kinda haven't done much since then but there isn't really much to do to phones. Other than efficiency/performance increases and better cameras, is there much else to add to phones? Samsung is trying out that Galaxy Fold thing, but I doubt foldable phones are going to become super mainstream due to durability issues and such. The iPad Pro was a nice iteration on the iPad Air 2 (First iPad with the higher performance X chip IIRC, or the first one to really be super fast. Maybe the 4 might've had an X series chip?), and IIRC they finally have USB-C now. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

10 hours ago, RejZoR said:

it was at that time the only working solution to increase screen size

Despite the fact that, at the time, Samsung's S8, S9, Note 8, and Note 9 had 83%+ (S8+ was 87.5%) screen to body ratios compared to the iPX's 81.5.

So actually, the iPhone X's screen size and screen to body ratio were both average (as multiple phones in the 82% range came out that year, and the S8 came months before). So, the notch was due to deliberate choice to have a notch, either out of engineer incompetence or for aesthetics.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:48 AM, Drak3 said:

No, Apple was outrageously overpriced and outdated when Jobs was around.

No, he wasn't. Jobs was a scumbag in every aspect of his life.

He did make nicer looking phones though and with more practical use (when they worked). 

So it evens out. 

1 minute ago, floofer said:

He did make nicer looking phones though

No, he didn't.

with more practical use

Unless you're arguing that the iPhone regressed since Jobs, you don't really think that.

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

So it evens out. 

It really doesn't. Jobs was nothing but scum in his entire life.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I really don't know how you could honestly compare the two. Jobs started the company and molded basically every aspect of it that made it into the brand we know today. Cook worked at IBM for a dozen years before joining Apple and it's image hasn't changed much since he became CEO. They donate more to charities and talk big about security? Anything else seems to go how any CEO would (focusing on expanding in China and India).

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, he didn't.

that camera bump just has to go. I don’t mind the notch, but just make my phone lie flat. Now there are three camera bumps. I really really do not like it. 

Unless you're arguing that the iPhone regressed since Jobs, you don't really think that.

Well can’t have a phone too big or won’t fit in your pocket. Practicality would be a cool test for phones though.

It really doesn't. Jobs was nothing but scum in his entire life.

I shouldn’t need to add /s for that last statement for you. You need to sacrifice too much to achieve (for lack of a better word) what Steve did. Too much drive. 

However, I think the concepts and care to detail that went into most products at Apple just wouldn’t be there without Steve. 

I shouldn’t need to add /s for that last statement for you.

Steve Jobs was a scumbag whose only achievement was being able to use EVERY person in his life, just to throw them away like trash.

Apple's successful products during Jobs' time as CEO are all either stolen from Wozniak or from the competition.

3 minutes ago, floofer said:

Well can’t have a phone too big or won’t fit in your pocket. Practicality would be a cool test for phones though.

The iPhones are far from too big. For many people, the older iPhones are borderline too small (more than those that find the smaller versions of current iPhones too big).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Steve Jobs was a scumbag whose only achievement was being able to use EVERY person in his life, just to throw them away like trash.

Apple's successful products during Jobs' time as CEO are all either stolen from Wozniak or from the competition.

Doesn’t matter who design products, it matters who sells them better.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The iPhones are far from too big. For many people, the older iPhones are borderline too small (more than those that find the smaller versions of current iPhones too big).

Depends on perspective 

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

Doesn’t matter who design products

Patent and Copyright law disagrees with you there.

3 minutes ago, floofer said:

Depends on perspective

The perspective of most people is that the new phones are great. Hence why they're selling as many as they are.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Patent and Copyright law disagrees with you there.

Huawei disagree with you. 

Just now, Drak3 said:

The perspective of most people is that the new phones are great. Hence why they're selling as many as they are.

Is that they are better or more accessible ? 

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It is easy to tell people the phones are great with marketing, thats a thing Apple does really well.

Steve Jobs had a better vision with Apple, with products that looked and performed great. Apple had the iconic phone design up to the iPhone SE, and they ignored customers wanting an updated iPhone SE in that perfect form factor but with a higher screen to bezel ratio.

Now with Cook the headphone jack is gone, the removal of useful ports on the "pro" laptop so you have to buy a pile of dongles, several iterations of the same garbage keyboards,everything soldered to the motherboard,laptops that throttle, and it seems like Apple is throwing the "PRO" label on everything.

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Steve Jobs had a better vision with Apple, with products that looked and performed great.

Under Jobs, products had weak specs and overall performance was not better than similarly spec'd Windows laptops outside a few specific programs.

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

they ignored customers wanting an updated iPhone SE

Probably because the SE was not a strong contender compared to the 6S. Basically, those most of those complaining about no SE2 wouldn't have bought one anyway. No different from when SJWs boycott businesses.

10 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Now with Cook the headphone jack is gone, the removal of useful ports on the "pro" laptop so you have to buy a pile of dongles, several iterations of the same garbage keyboards,everything soldered to the motherboard,laptops that throttle, and it seems like Apple is throwing the "PRO" label on everything.

1. You can't say with any certainty that Jobs would have kept it. Given his desire to push Firewire, Thunderbolt, and Lightning, Jobs was equally eager to drop well supported standards. And that lines up with their other premature standard drops, such as the floppy disk and CD drive. Apple has a history of prematurely abandoning technology that starts with Jobs.
  2. Jobs pushed bad designs. The difference, Cook acknowledged the bad designs and had the company try to fix it as well as doing a recall to replace affected units for free.
  3. And? Given the target audience, that's fine.
  4. That's a disingenuous claim. They don't maintain boost for long but they don't throttle, and they get hot under load. Both things that are common the high end professional thin and light market. That's the market that actually desires these machines. Whereas the prior designs with dGPUs would throttle when the dGPU was active.
  5. Probably because unlike some other companies, Apple is actually targeting the pro market with many of their products.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Despite the fact that, at the time, Samsung's S8, S9, Note 8, and Note 9 had 83%+ (S8+ was 87.5%) screen to body ratios compared to the iPX's 81.5.

So actually, the iPhone X's screen size and screen to body ratio were both average (as multiple phones in the 82% range came out that year, and the S8 came months before). So, the notch was due to deliberate choice to have a notch, either out of engineer incompetence or for aesthetics.

No one else has such advanced array of front facing sensors as Apple even today. Allegedly Pixel 4 will have that too for 3D face scanning, but it's not even out yet. The rest just had (have) dumb front cameras and basic 2D face recognition which was proven pretty much worthless. Of course they could make small edges when they didn't have to cram all this stuff into the front somewhere.

give me a neither option or riot 

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

I don't think one is better than the other.

Steve Jobs saw ways to make technology do things we didn't know we wanted it to do yet, or had seen happening yet at the very least.

Sure, "buT THosE pROdUcTs AlrEADy eXisTED!!!"

But how many were done to the level of detail that Apple did it?
Are you seriously going to argue them thicc ass MP3 players before the iPod?
The Windows Mobiles smartphones, Blackberries with full keyboards?
The Windows tablets that were kinda chunky and comparatively, didn't have as good of battery life?

Yes, all these products worked, and they worked good enough for their time period.  But lets be real, the form factors, battery life (at the time, not every Apple product had the best bettery life, like the iPhone 5S), way better touchscreens (especially considered to the resistive touchscreens that were commonplace of the time).

Apple didn't create the mobile OSes or touchscreens or anything, but they were the ones to really kickstart the way we see them today. 

Steve Jobs saw that stuff.  

Tim Cook is pure business though, and Apple has only gotten stronger under him.  Would Apple be stronger or weaker if Steve Jobs was still around?  I have no idea.

But Tim Cook knows how to run a business, and something is working for them, even if it's only "peOPle ArE ShEEplE!!!"

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

10 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

But how many were done to the level of detail that Apple did it?

Nearly all of them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

If the questions is about which CEO was best for Apple then the choice is between a narcissist who could sell ice to the Eskimos then successfully sue them for using it, raise the capital value of the company to the largest of all companies and have customer satisfaction at an all time high (according to independent market research).

Or a happy go lucky all caring guy who has seen  apples value drop bellow MS (yeah we don't see the fanboys touting the companies value any more as a reason for anything),  has more product design issues and is facing way more legal action than ever before.

I think from the companies perspective jobs was the best.

As for who was the best according tot he consumer,   I don't know My experience with the companies service is only in the cook era so it would be unfair to try and compare company policies without any real knowledge of job's.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.