Looking for new SSD, Sequential vs. Random performance in video editing/recording

minibois

Hey there,

Since I want to do some more video editing and recording I am looking to get a new SSD.

The recording is done locally, with lossless quality in OBS (couldn't get decent quality in games with live encoding), which takes up quite a bit of room and thus speed.

From some tests, I see it's on average 120MB per second, with peaks to 250MBps (yes, megabyte, not megabit).

At the moment I am comparing some SSD's and trying to decide if random performance is of much importance. Reason is, because M.2 NVME/PCIE SSD's have much better performance in this regard, but also a higher price accompanying that.

Most important things:

- My second M.2 slot can only do PCIE gen 2.0 4x (so about 2GB/s)

- Wouldn't video recording/rendering/encoding only be sequential? If not, why? Does the SSD itself make it so all files are 'in order'?

- TBW, I feel like it would be somewhat important with my purpose (where I would write a lot to the SSD, delete again and start writing again..)

-  Price.. I just don't want to overspend on unnecessary things.

Comparison sheet:

Comparison showing the current SSD's I'm thinking about.

image.png.4c7090f1ea6790027e027b7e68a39e7b.png

Red = worse

Green = better

From left to right, the columns are: SSD name, model, size, form factor, interface, sequential read, seq write, random read, random write, TBW (how much can be written to them at least), price, price per GB and the warranty (in months).

The Intel 660p and Crucial P1 had worse TBW and thus I removed them from my comparison sheet.

To me, the 860 Evo (M.2 or 2.5") looks like the best deal, unless the M.2 NVME speed is really needed. So it quite depends on that.

The actual questions:

What do you think would be the best option?

Are the NVME random speeds needed for video editing (making proxies) and video recording (between 60-250MBps, 120MBps average) (keeping in mind it could do 2GBps max on my motherboard).

Am I thinking about the TBW too much?

Thanks for any opinions, but if you have experience with NVME vs. SATA in video editing/recording I would love to hear more!

Thanks, 

minibois.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If you want to spend a little more shittons more, you can get an Optane (get a 800P, 900P or 905P not the Memory shit) drive which is made specifically for 4K and performs exceptionally in that regard. I think I once tested my 800P 58GB on Q32T32 (bout the same as T4) and it got 1GB/s. The sequential on the 800P is 1.5GB/s!

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

11 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

If you want to spend a little more shittons more, you can get an Optane (get a 800P, 900P or 905P not the Memory shit) drive which is made specifically for 4K and performs exceptionally in that regard. I think I once tested my 800P 58GB on Q32T32 (bout the same as T4) and it got 1GB/s. The sequential on the 800P is 1.5GB/s!

Appreciate the suggestion, but the 800p unfortunately only comes in (IMO) small sizes, which would not be plentiful enough for the amount of video I would put on it.

Also, I don't really see the advantages in that drive vs. the 970 Evo Plus.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

25 minutes ago, minibois said:

- Wouldn't video recording/rendering/encoding only be sequential? If not, why? Does the SSD itself make it so all files are 'in order'?

Yes, these are all sequential.

The only thing that needs randoms is the actual editing itself. Scrubbing throught the timeline mostly.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

6 minutes ago, minibois said:

Appreciate the suggestion, but the 800p unfortunately only comes in (IMO) small sizes, which would not be plentiful enough for the amount of video I would put on it.

Also, I don't really see the advantages in that drive vs. the 970 Evo Plus.

There's also the 900P which comes in 280GB-480GB, and the 905P which comes in 380GB-1.5TB sizes. They perform a bit better than the 800P.

The Optane drives have about 2x better 4K while costing way more than 2x the 970 series, therefore making it a shitty buy unless you're a millionaire. 

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

8 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yes, these are all sequential.

The only thing that needs randoms is the actual editing itself. Scrubbing throught the timeline mostly.

Actually the way I do timeline scrubbing is I first 'render out' the file (make a proxy/optimized media) and then read it like that. I can already create this optimized media on a HDD and timeline performance is super smooth! Only disadvantage is that it takes a while to create that media.. Which is likely a lot faster on an SSD, just depends on if that uses sequential or random writing.

But thanks for the confirmation the previous stuff is sequential too!

6 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

There's also the 900P which comes in 280GB-480GB, and the 905P which comes in 380GB-1.5TB sizes. They perform a bit better than the 800P.

The Optane drives have about 2x better 4K while costing way more than 2x the 970 series, therefore making it a shitty buy unless you're a millionaire. 

At that point I might as well spend money to get a 3900X and just do CPU encoding.. ?

Just now, minibois said:

Actually the way I do timeline scrubbing is I first 'render out' the file (make a proxy/optimized media) and then read it like that. I can already create this optimized media on a HDD and timeline performance is super smooth! Only disadvantage is that it takes a while to create that media.. Which is likely a lot faster on an SSD, just depends on if that uses sequential or random writing.

Hmm. I have never done that, i just got an ssd and use that for timeline scrubbing and editing, it is fast enough that no proxy isn't needed? But on HDD yes it took like a sec each time i scrubbed.

7 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Hmm. I have never done that, i just got an ssd and use that for timeline scrubbing and editing, it is fast enough that no proxy isn't needed? But on HDD yes it took like a sec each time i scrubbed.

It will likely depend on the video editing software you use. I use Davinci Resolve and when scrubbing through the timeline (with no proxy) it seems like my CPU gets a tiny little 'hit' in usage, but it's mainly my GPU VRAM that is used most.

With a proxy it plays without a hitch, but on an HDD it does take a bit to create that, which I hope to speed up with an SSD.

8 hours ago, minibois said:

It will likely depend on the video editing software you use. I use Davinci Resolve and when scrubbing through the timeline (with no proxy) it seems like my CPU gets a tiny little 'hit' in usage, but it's mainly my GPU VRAM that is used most.

With a proxy it plays without a hitch, but on an HDD it does take a bit to create that, which I hope to speed up with an SSD.

I also use resolve.

4 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

I also use resolve.

Ah, I see. Must have something to do with GPU VRAM I suppose, as I have 4GB vs. your 11GB.