Where were you on September 11, 2001?

Mister Woof

I wasn't.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

2 hours ago, zassou said:

i was at a relative's home at sutton, uk. i got a msg from an old classmate of mine, says their class is cheering over the news.

creepy

UK students were cheering?

Just now, StarsMars said:

UK students were cheering?

no they arent british, almost half a globe away.

some stupid old folks planted too much xenophobia into their textbooks.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

1 hour ago, wasab said:

When in hostile foregin country, Americans pretend to be Canadians. 

Sorry, eh?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I remember waking up and having one of the friends I'd walk to school with say something about a plane crashing into the tower. Then when we got to school we watched it on TV in English class. Personally I think people not showing up to work if they weren't directly affected is a bit much.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I was being a baby that was 4 days away from being 1 years old

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I was less than 1 years old and with my parents on holidays on a camping in France. They couldn't believe it at first.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I was in 8th grade at the time. In history class, we watched the horror. Then watched some more in my computer class. My sister was in High school at the time and picked me up near the end of the day. The sad part of all of this, Its my dads birthday. A few years later in 2003, we had that blackout that took out the entire North east of the US and Michigan was also affected. A part of me thought it was another attack. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I was at home getting ready for the first day of one of my university classes.  It was a bit mind-numbing as it became clear that this wasn't just an accident (as some thought when there was just one tower struck) but a particularly horrific terrorist attack.

It was a good thing that the first class involved little more than handing out the syllabus, because everyone had that slightly stunned look that made it clear they weren't in a state of mind to talk about the material.  I live in Ottawa, Canada's capital, and I remember walking out wondering if we might be a target at some point, even if an unlikely one.  (We'd eventually have an ISIS-inspired shooting at the National War Memorial, but that was in 2014).  I walked to Parliament Hill both to contemplate that idea and, well, clear my head.  There was a lingering shock.

I also had to go to work as internet tech support that day, and to say the environment was surreal was an understatement.  Our "known issues" list was dominated by people being unable to access news sites like CNN because they were hammered.  I don't think we had too many people calling in with those problems, but if they did we could practically say "have you seen TV today?"  My memory's foggy on this front, but I believe it was quieter than usual for that reason (and, of course, because many people weren't in the mood for calling their ISP).

So no, I wasn't directly affected by the attacks, but the effect rippled through everything I dealt with that day.  There was a collective grief and fear that no one should ever have to deal with.

12 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

It really changed everything.

People don't realize it achieved exactly what they were wanting.

I was in my IT departement at a global forwarder. Our sales and marketing manager came in, white faced, and told us to turn on the news. 

Seeing the two towers coming down I thought :"Here we go ... WW3 knocking on our door" ...

But now... even though it was horrible... there are so many things that are quite concerning about the whole event that makes a normal human thinking being think about how and why of that all... well not wanting to go into that disussion here so *mike drop*

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

at home, dying of laughter at a tv show i was watching...

what you think i was laughing at the news?

you sir are more fucked up then Link x Paya The Retribution! (actually don't google it it's fucked up. like really don't. i'm serious, i'm not taking responsibility for you doing that and reading it)

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

wasn't born yet

but seriously, it hit people i know today really hard

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Was in Canada, pretty young at the time but I remember the address on the radio

I was at work when it happened. My boss dropped by to tell me; I was too stunned to believe it at first. It didn't sink in until I got home and turned on the news.

re: People talking about feeling old. I was in high school when JFK was assassinated. 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I was my parents' house for a couple of weeks until the new quarter started at my school and was up until 6AM making jersey and court hacks for NBA Live 2000 since I didn't have shit to do those couple of weeks other than hang out with family and friends back home. My brother woke me up two hours later right before heading off to his school and told me he just watched a second plane fly into one of the towers live. Then not too long later I'm watching the news and see the Pentagon has just been hit. Then all these fake reports start coming in. Eg NBC reported a car bomb going off at the State Department. What was really freaky is I flew back to the other side of the country for school on the first day air traffic resumed and there must have been two or three other passengers on my plane. Really weird to fly in a 737 with so few people and to actually be able to stretch out. Another thing I found shocking was the cockpit door was open the whole flight. You'd think those would be on complete lockdown after the attack.

given that i was 9 years old and non-american i really dont remember anymore nor do i care. terror attacks happen all over the planet but somehow this one gets way more attention. yall need to get over it its been 18 years. why dont you remember the day lincoln got murdered while youre at it. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I read this thread and realize just how bad the thing we call 9:11 was.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

10 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

given that i was 9 years old and non-american i really dont remember anymore nor do i care. terror attacks happen all over the planet but somehow this one gets way more attention. yall need to get over it its been 18 years. why dont you remember the day lincoln got murdered while youre at it. 

The terrorist flew a plane into a building dude. Thousands died and this happened in the most powerful country in the world. It also changed this country (and the rest of the world to an extent) forever.

You must be part of gen 'ME'

I was very young and I don't specifically remember the day it happened (plus I'm not from the US so I people didn't react quite as strongly around me), I just remember being told that it happened and not realizing that it had just happened.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, steelo said:

The terrorist flew a plane into a building dude. Thousands died and this happened in the most powerful country in the world. 

He has the right to his own opinions.

He's not terribly wrong, though. MUCH worse things happen around the world all the time and your typical American doesn't care that much.

That said, Americans care about this a lot because it happened to them.

It's only natural.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Gotta love the younger gen.

The terrorist flew a plane into a building dude. Thousands died and this happened in the most powerful country in the world. 

yes. terrorist attacks have happened since basically everywhere. people have and are dying everywhere. so what youre saying is that this ones special cause it happened to the us? idc. when its anywhere else people superimpose the flag of that country onto their instagram pictures for a week and then forget about it but now this one we gotta remember for all times? i dont think so

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

11 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

Well... it's true that terror attacks happen across the world every so often but I don't think there has been a single attack with nearly as many victims. Plus it was extremely dramatic in its execution and it destroyed a significant symbol of US power.

The US may have overreacted in the years to come (after all it was in the government's interest to have an excuse to attack Iraq) but it was undeniably an event of historical proportions.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Some of this is what I remember, some of this is stuff that my parents have told me in the ensuing years.

I was 3 years old, about to turn 4. I remember I was at home that day and nothing seemed right. My mom was there, as were my grandparents (who lived basically right around the corner.) I remember going down to Bay Street and seeing the smoke in the distance.

My dad was driving into work. He didn't work in Manhattan, but he commuted through to get to his job. Thankfully he didn't leave early enough to get past the traffic, and he didn't get caught up in it.

I don't have great memory going that far back in time. There's little I remember from before ~5th Grade, but 9/11 is definitely something I'll never forget.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)