monitor causing higher gpu temp?

grillechese

I have posted something similar to this, but i wanted to post again to check my own sanity

So, i have recently been given a 4k dell sq2817q monitor as a second monitor to my lg gaming monitor running at 120hz

I set the monitor to 4k and i have noticed that there is a high idle temp to be expected, also with the core clock either staying elevated or bouncing up and down.

However, when i start to play back video, normal web browsing, or watching a episode of netflix. The temp sits around 50-60C and once it's gets up there, it says there and I have to either manually turn on the fans to reduce temp or just leave the pc running and not using it for hours to reduce temperature.

Now I know that the 4k resolution will raise the temperature some, but after looking on other forumns and that, nothing i have found has explained why my gpu is running so warm all the time.

EDIT:
here is my pc specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Cooler: NZXT X62
MOBO: Asus B350-F Gaming
RAM: 16 GB G skill trident z RBG DDR4-3000 
GPU: MSI 1070ti Titanium 8GB 
PSU: EVGA 550W 80+ Gold

This is normal. You need to drive those pixels on the monitor which takes GPU horsepower so it is going to naturally increase the core clock of your GPU to compensate for that. With Zero RPM fan mode on all modern cards now, your idle temps will increase as a result of the increased core clocks. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Well seeing as your GPU is one of the ones that has a zero-fan mode, that's probably why. The fans probably don't kick until you pass 60-62C. And since you're running a 4K monitor and a 120Hz monitor, the clocks have to stay higher than they would if you used a "mainstream" display, so the temps never have much of a chance to go down after a bit of load, such as the hardware accelerated loads you talked about.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The monitor res has nothing to do with the GPU temp. You have a msi card, the msi default curve keeps the fans off until 60c.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

3 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Well seeing as your GPU is one of the ones that has a zero-fan mode, that's probably why. The fans probably don't kick until you pass 60-62C. And since you're running a 4K monitor and a 120Hz monitor, the clocks have to stay higher than they would if you used a "mainstream" display, so the temps never have much of a chance to go down after a bit of load, such as the hardware accelerated loads you talked about.

5 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

This is normal. You need to drive those pixels on the monitor which takes GPU horsepower so it is going to naturally increase the core clock of your GPU to compensate for that. With Zero RPM fan mode on all modern cards now, your idle temps will increase as a result of the increased core clocks. 

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

The monitor res has nothing to do with the GPU temp. You have a msi card, the msi default curve keeps the fans off until 60c.

Thanks for the response and helping me check my sanity? 

I thought that everything was performing as normal but wasn't exactly sure