MSI RX 580 crashing despite under-clocking

Triarius
Go to solution Solved by fatalz,

Could you make sure the molex adapters are not running on the same line?

There are seperate lines for 12V and other voltages which could be heavily affecting your GPU.

The CPU (65W) + GPU (185W) + other components ( extreme RGB worst case sceneario ) [30W] means that your usage is usually under 250 W or so even under long periods of gaming.

When it crashes can you check if there's a mother board light that's generally blue?
This light usually means that the system doesnt have the required power and has entered power saving mode. Which also means that the PSU is .... fried.

Come back to me when this doesnt help or it helps.
If it doesn't help I could get you back on track as it helps narrow my understanding of whats going on in that poor rig.

Hi everyone. I bought a used MSI RX 580 Armor 8G OC recently, but I'm having problems with it crashing.

My current PSU is a fairly new 500W Thermaltake TT-500NL2NK-A, I'm using a dual Molex to 8-pin because the PSU only has a 6-pin (the GPU is rated at 185W). The system runs fine without the card, but when playing games it'll run well but eventually the monitor will cut to no signal and restart after a moment.

I've tried under-clocking power and clock frequency to 70%, but it still crashes. The temperature is never over 65˚C, so I'm thinking it must be the card having a fit over its power supply, because it only seems to become unstable under heavier loads when it needs more power. It crashed when I ran a graphics stress test. I might try a dual SATA to 8 pin adapter as well. The card was quite dusty (probably used for mining), so I've cleaned it out and I'm going to reapply thermal paste soon because it needs it (buying Noctua NT-H1).

What's the verdict? Is it the PSU or something more sinister? Should I try under-clocking other settings (memory frequency, or voltage - voltage is greyed out on afterburner), I'm new to OC. As it stands, I don't mind under-clocking until I decide to invest into a new PSU. I bought a card more powerful than I need at the moment, to future-proof.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

CPU: i5 6600

There are seperate lines for 12V and other voltages which could be heavily affecting your GPU.

The CPU (65W) + GPU (185W) + other components ( extreme RGB worst case sceneario ) [30W] means that your usage is usually under 250 W or so even under long periods of gaming.

When it crashes can you check if there's a mother board light that's generally blue?
This light usually means that the system doesnt have the required power and has entered power saving mode. Which also means that the PSU is .... fried.

If it doesn't help I could get you back on track as it helps narrow my understanding of whats going on in that poor rig.

22 hours ago, fatalz said:

Thanks for your advice. After dusting and replacing thermal paste, I set up the adapter to use two separate Molex lines and that solved the problem. I stress tested on factory settings and no problems, also benchmarked with games and no problems so far.

It even reached about 70 degrees C, higher than before. It could be the paste change, but it's probably just heating up because it's now able to run as intended before crashing (right?).

Thanks again

22 hours ago, Techno Edition said:

driver issue?

I was running the latest drivers. Thanks though.