Displaying stuff on TV (Options to choose from)

The situation here is that I live in a boarding school where I'm seen as a bit of a tech geek. My boarding house master requested me to find a way to display things such as everyday school notices, sports notices and just photos from events that have taken in the past.

I'm a bit stumped as I only found way to do this and it's using google's chromecast to go to google photos and just do it from there.

The requirements are that its reasonably priced, easy to do, has either online storage or large local storage.

if you wanna know the reason for this post, 
its because we got tired of updating stuff on the usb thumbdrive as we have to take it out of the tv and on a laptop and then back on the tv. it really is a hassle when we have to do this daily.

On one TV or several?

Are the TV(s) "smart"/have a built in web browser?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

35 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

On one TV or several?

Its one TV for display in the lobby of the boarding house. 
Unfortunately there's no way to use the built in web browser of the samsung tv even tho its a smart tv. 
its just unreliable. 

a lot of visits are made to the house so its looked at a lot

You can either use Stick PC (cheaper) or Intel NUC (more expensive).

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-stick-pcs

PC Stick start around $120US. You can use USB storage (Flash drive, Ext HDD) as expanded storage. Some have built-in SD card slot. These are small enough PC that "stick" on TV HDMI port.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=intel nuc&Order=PRICE

Intel NUC is a lunchbox size PC. Barebone system (buy your own RAM and storage) start around $150 USD. These NUC support 2.5" HDD/SSD. There are also pre-built NUC that come with everything including Windows 10 just like any pre-built computer system.

Both are fully function PC that run on Windows 10 and support WiFi network. So you can easily transfer data thru network or use online storage.

You can setup Remote Desktop connection to "control" these PC to do your daily update or just get a Logitech K400 Wireless keyboard with touch pad as input device.

https://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400-plus

Use a compute stick,(if your TV doesn't have a web browser) and just have it display a web page that can be changed/updated from anywhere.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

raspberry pi? You could set up a website running on it and display the webpage and then edit the webpage from wherever.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

15 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

On one TV or several?

Its one TV for display in the lobby of the boarding house. 
Unfortunately there's no way to use the built in web browser of the samsung tv even tho its a smart tv. 
its just unreliable. 

a lot of visits are made to the house so its looked at a lot

11 hours ago, Avus said:

You can either use Stick PC (cheaper) or Intel NUC (more expensive).

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-stick-pcs

PC Stick start around $120US. You can use USB storage (Flash drive, Ext HDD) as expanded storage. Some have built-in SD card slot. These are small enough PC that "stick" on TV HDMI port.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=intel nuc&Order=PRICE

Intel NUC is a lunchbox size PC. Barebone system (buy your own RAM and storage) start around $150 USD. These NUC support 2.5" HDD/SSD. There are also pre-built NUC that come with everything including Windows 10 just like any pre-built computer system.

Both are fully function PC that run on Windows 10 and support WiFi network. So you can easily transfer data thru network or use online storage.

You can setup Remote Desktop connection to "control" these PC to do your daily update or just get a Logitech K400 Wireless keyboard with touch pad as input device.

https://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400-plus

Ill look into this

10 hours ago, will4623 said:

raspberry pi? You could set up a website running on it and display the webpage and then edit the webpage from wherever.

ill look into it
ill borrow a raspberry pi from my school and try it but a more professional solution would do.

Look up digital signages & Samsung MagicInfo. Unfortunately they are pretty expensive as they are commercial grade solutions.

Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia Quadro P400 | Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX | Klevv Bolt XR 2x8GB DDR4-3600 CL18

Acer Chromebook C720 @ GalliumOS

Is there a computer that is located near the TV that has wifi. If so an option could be to a wireless display adaptor.

asus chromebit if they still sell that

or raspberry pi

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

I'd also recommend a raspberry pi (version 3 or 4). It can connect to WiFi and then you just need it to run a browser and something like Google Slides. Then you can just update the document they are all displaying, and it will be updated on all screens at once.

They also allow for remote access, and cost like 50 dollars each (with everything you need).

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I'd also recommend a raspberry pi (version 3 or 4).

A pi-zero w would do it, I'd think.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

1 hour ago, Video Beagle said:

A pi-zero w would do it, I'd think.

You're totally right. I didn't know there was a Zero version with wireless.

I don't know which TV you have but I have set this up using a USB stick, converting everything to 1920x1080 jpeg and having it run. Repeating slideshow.

The TV I used would also do videos as well as pictures off a stick. Was the cheapest option I found and easy to explain to people that you just drag and drop what you want into the drive and plug it back in.