Stuttering Video Editing Timeline with New PC

Coincidal

I edit with Filmora (Still working my way to Adobe Premier!) and I have been doing so on an Alienware 15 r3 2017. It has a:

i7-7700HQ

GTX 1070 (mobile)

16GB RAM @ 2400MHz

256gb NVMe m.2 ssd (which I edit off of)

Nothing too fancy. When I edit, it would start to get really laggy as I add more to the timeline (cuts, B Roll, transitions etc) like unusable, but before that I could playback the clip and it'd be extremely smooth and I could hit space and it'd freeze the playhead exactly where I am at. No lagginess until later on when my timeline was filled up.

Now the problem is I got a new computer as I could tell my CPU was heavily bottlenecking me during editing.

New PC Specs:

Ryzen 7 3700x

Zotac GTX 1070

16GB Ram (was at 3000MHz until I read the "read this before you post" which said to reset all overclocks, so now it is at 2666MHz

850W PSU

120mm AIO

strix b450-f motherboard

Editing off a m.2 SATA 512 SSD (not nvme yet)

Now I built this PC purely for light video editing, and I am trying to edit the same project I was editing on my Alienware laptop and the playhead will jump 10ms at a time (not smooth) and if I hit space it'll stop about 10ms past where I hit space at. This is with no edits on the timeline, just playing back footage. I had playback at 1/2 resolution on both, and moved it to 1/4 on my new desktop to see if that would fix the issue. Still extremely skippy.

I have preview rendered and created a proxy on both systems. The footage is all 1080p.

All my drivers are up to date inlcuding my BIOS (version Version 2704) and nvidia driver from Sept 10.

I have no idea why it is doing this, it did the preview rendered leaps and bounds faster than my laptop did, but its extremely annoying how laggy the playhead is. Just the actual footage itself does not lag, its just the playhead on the timeline.

Did I just have my expectations to high and realistically can not edit 1080p video with the ryzen 3700x and gtx 1070?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Have you updated your BIOS?

I did yeah, the Septemeber 10th update that AMD announced (or maybe this was a rumour) that fixes the boost clock thing is not available for my motherboard yet, but it is up-to-date with the most current one on Asus's website.

5 minutes ago, Coincidal said:

I did yeah, the Septemeber 10th update that AMD announced (or maybe this was a rumour) that fixes the boost clock thing is not available for my motherboard yet, but it is up-to-date with the most current one on Asus's website.

Odd, are your CPU and GPU being utilized properly by the software?

11 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Odd, are your CPU and GPU being utilized properly by the software?

I am not entirely sure how to tell that, I know in task manager is shows the CPU being utilized by 40-50%, figured it was lower than the 100% utilization on my laptop because it wasn't something that should take 100% of a 8core processor. Maybe it should be higher then 40-50%?

2 minutes ago, Coincidal said:

I am not entirely sure how to tell that, I know in task manager is shows the CPU being utilized by 40-50%, figured it was lower than the 100% utilization on my laptop because it wasn't something that should take 100% of a 8core processor. Maybe it should be higher then 40-50%?

Look at Ryzen Master for more details

Sounds more of a software issue then hardware...

If you google the filmora lagging issue, theres lots of hits.. 

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Also try disabling GPU acceleration 

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Maybe it's software related? Try free version of Davinci Resolve.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Thank you all! It ended up being software related and embarassingly for my all I had to do was turn it off and turn it back on again! :P By that I mean uninstall the app, delete all associated files, and then reinstall the program and then its been smooth as butter, thank you all for the help!!!