“Everything as a service” is coming—but we’re not there quite yet

A few weeks ago I posted a news about "subscription fatigue", and now... welll seems that "subscription as the norm" is almost there...

Or so they say on Ars Technica

“Everything as a service” is coming—but we’re not there quite yet

Getting there—if it's really what we want—means solving a few still-unsolved problems.

For the past decade, information technology and cloud computing vendors have increasingly pushed the virtualization and abstraction of every possible part of IT infrastructure further and further, turning what used to be things you bought and paid for into services that you subscribe to. First there was software as a service, and then compute and infrastructure as a service, then platforms as a service, and now even storage and databases as a service. The "private cloud" brought the same models into enterprise data centers. And the "hybrid cloud" blew the data center walls out and mixed everything together. But managing each decoupled element of this brave new world of randomly distributed infrastructure has become increasingly complex. Arguably, it hasn't really changed the business of running enterprise IT as much as it has made things complex in new ways.

But what if there was an "as a service" to fix that, too?

Today's leading edge of enterprise IT pushes further toward automated deployment of everything from bare-metal servers to "containerized" workloads, juggling the networking and storage and system-management support through one portal or another, even internally, and cloud providers have started to drop not-so-little outposts of their infrastructure into their biggest customers' data centers. Even the definition of "cloud" versus "on-premises" has gotten foggy, thanks to such private cloud options as Microsoft's Azure Stack and Google's Anthos that let enterprise clients move cloud resources back into local data centers.

It's tempting to believe that all of these could be put behind one Web portal that makes everything just a service that can be managed like cloud instances—scaled up and down on demand with a monthly bill (or charge-back). So cloud providers and major enterprise IT vendors are starting to try to shape this vision to their particular strengths—and some vendors may actually succeed.

.../...
rest of the article to be read on the website.

Source: ArsTechnica

Opinions?

41 minutes ago, justpoet said:

If I can't buy it and keep the data on it to myself, I'm not interested.  Privacy matters.

Yes, I know I'm the minority, which is sad.

Not totally :)

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

The best way to think on this is... How can companies get the most amount of data about you (and your data) to sell and leverage as marketing?

That's where were going.  

We're already leasing software, no longer buying hardware but leasing it with agreements.  It's on its way to corporations owning everything and all you can do is press I agree or never be born.

Or you can just use open source.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Yea nah, i doubt you will be able to get everything as a service eventually (some things are just not compatible with the service idea).

And these days companies offer subscriptions ONLY, so no surprise when some companies say "hey look a lot of them went for our subscriptions", well yea no shit sherlock when you don't offer an alternative. I'm looking at you adobe (and afaik office too soon, office 2019 according to microsoft is the last full release they will do)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I am very against subscription stuff.

I will even pay more to not have it.

I have spent less money on games the last two years than I would have if it was a subscription. I am not a person that plays lots of 15 hours games only, quite a bit of games(ofc not close to all) I play at least 80+ hours.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I read the entire article I still don't know what the news is sorry 

Yeah fuck no. Why does everything need to be like that huh. Especially how some try to go subscription based only. 

The only subscription I'll ever have is for WoW funny enough. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

wont be a thing until the rest of the world has better internet.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I have a lot of problems. But heres the 3 off the top of my head

1. I use linux. with subscription stuff I can't run wine and such services to play the games.
  2. privacy
  3. offline singleplayer games. I have had a number of times the internet failed and these have bean lifesavers.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

7 hours ago, Evanair said:

We're already leasing software, no longer buying hardware but leasing it with agreements

What's this "We" shit?  You may have, others have spelled out why they'll never do so for the last 10 years.

7 hours ago, samcool55 said:

office 2019 according to microsoft is the last full release they will do

Therefore the last MS Office which should be purchased.

All economic trends hit an end. "Everything is a service" right until the moment the economy goes sideways a bit. Then everything falls apart.

Service-based systems are extremely fragile. I'd highly recommend reading up on "Anti-Fragility". It might save your bacon.

GTFO.... :dry:  No way in hell im gonna waste my money on sub based stuff that doesnt have a very good reason to use that model.

2 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

What's this "We" shit?  You may have, others have spelled out why they'll never do so for the last 10 years.

Therefore the last MS Office which should be purchased.

Do you use Windows? How about an Android phone? Or an iPhone? Or own a smart TV? How about any games or software?

All of these are leases. Every single one. 

Want to write something bad about Microsoft? Well, under the EULA in word (not sure if it's still there, it was years ago) you cannot talk bad about them using their software or you violate their license and cannot use their software.

Do you own a Tesla? You might think you do, but you don't. You own the body, but the tech and the software on it are leases.  Modify your car at all, services shut down and you can no longer do anything with it but drive it and basic charge it.

It's not a stretch to see how paying for extra services is the future. Micro transactions for features, with monthly upkeep. Tesla could easily do this with their car, for GPS radio, etc.

Continued Licenses are the way of the future because companies can milk as much money from you, collect information from you, and cut you off it they don't like what you're doing, saying or anything for that matter.

The day you can convince corporations to give away money for free is the day this changes.

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Service-based systems are extremely fragile. I'd highly recommend reading up on "Anti-Fragility". It might save your bacon.

Apple (et. al)'s x-thousand pieces/steps supply chains are going to be in for one hell of a fragility stress test in the next 2-5 years ?.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when most people don't have jobs, and as such, there's less money to go around for these "services."

It's a really good way to cut out and kind of competition. Eventually you'd just have one company big enough to sustain losses while they undercut everyone else, and then jack up the prices when the rest of the competition ceases to exist.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

37 minutes ago, Evanair said:

Do you use Windows? How about an Android phone? Or an iPhone? Or own a smart TV? How about any games or software?

All of these are leases. Every single one. 

Want to write something bad about Microsoft? Well, under the EULA in word (not sure if it's still there, it was years ago) you cannot talk bad about them using their software or you violate their license and cannot use their software.

Do you own a Tesla? You might think you do, but you don't. You own the body, but the tech and the software on it are leases.  Modify your car at all, services shut down and you can no longer do anything with it but drive it and basic charge it.

Licenses are the way of the future because companies can milk as much money from you, collect information from you, and cut you off it they don't like what you're doing, saying or anything for that matter.

The day you can convince corporations to give away money for free is the day this changes.

Oh, I think see.  You are either under the impression that companies make the laws of the land, or are in a part of the world where that is true.  That is not the case where I am, not yet anyways.

I do own several versions of windows among other OS'.  I neither have an android based, nor an iphone for my cell.  I have a couple good TVs that do not have an open door to the internet embedded(AKA 'smartTV').  Any time I buy software, I buy physical.  I've also got an update repository on my NAS for when they're updated where I maintain several versions of several programs.  As for games I buy physical when I can, and tend not to buy/play the title at all when I cannot get an actual physical copy.

You list a point for not buying a tesla; so why would you?  Any new car is among the worst investments anyone can make in the first place, never-mind one you're not allowed to repair on your own or source alternative repair solutions, less costly or otherwise.

When you participate in licenses, you give them the ability to pretend to have such powers as you describe.  However, as long as you keep your money in your pocket; it is you who has power over them.  The day you let those companies convince you to give them your money, and house your media/assets in their cloud, was the day you lost both your data and money.  Now, you're only trying to drag others down with you instead of cutting things off and starting over.

I understand that eventually (unless something remarkable shows up) everything will go to a Subscription service. As this keeps customer retention and allows control over the end product. We can look at early adopters like EA where you can pay for a subscription for their games. If you stop paying you lose all the access to the games (as far as I know). If they decide to no longer support BF5 then BAM you no longer have that game. They would have control over if you can mod any of their games. This to me is a deterrent as I like to own games. 

This can be done for pretty much anything. There are already ways to order groceries where you pay a fee and they deliver you the perfect amount of food for your order and they choose meal plans for you. 

If you want the first and most classic example of "products as a service" look at the music industry.  They were the first to lose CD/album sales to streaming services, now people pay monthly fees to streaming all their music rather than buy it once and play it as many times as you like on any device.  The only upside is if you get board with a certain piece you can listen to something else, but you will never have the right to own a copy of that music again.  

And I know a lot of people don't like the facts but here they are:  everyone lost out with music as a service,  quality is shit, service is shit, cost is higher and the actual artist make less money (and it wasn't even their choice).

Think long and hard before endorsing the services method, there are upsides for sure, but there are also costly traps. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

27 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If you want the first and most classic example of "products as a service" look at the music industry.  They were the first to lose CD/album sales to streaming services, now people pay monthly fees to streaming all their music rather than buy it once and play it as many times as you like on any device.  The only upside is if you get board with a certain piece you can listen to something else, but you will never have the right to own a copy of that music again.  

i think i'm the odd one out here but i just can't imagine myself buying a streaming service to hear songs, i've always stuck to getting the song on my phone's mem card and listening with my preferred player, i have prime account which comes with amazon prime music, i have youtube premium but i never use it to listen songs, i just can't trust my data plan to use a music streaming service.  

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

And I know a lot of people don't like the facts but here they are:  everyone lost out with music as a service,  quality is shit, service is shit, cost is higher and the actual artist make less money (and it wasn't even their choice).

Not sure I'm following you, streaming is like $120 a year while buying an album is like $12-15. Quality is also pretty high, don't see a  difference with my 320kbps .mp3s. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

4 hours ago, comander said:

If you aren't an expert, good luck in securing the data. 
I'm not saying that data leaks don't happen on AWS/Azure/GCP but privacy/security are harder to do than you think. 

I'm pretty good.  Not saying it couldn't happen, but it is far less likely to due to me keeping up on security as well as they would, and being a much smaller attack vector on a smaller target.  Doesn't hurt that all of my data paths are secure by design too, so even if they got my local data they are unlikely to get anything of worth to them.  :)

i hate subscription service

i was one of those people who's not creative but wants to buy adobe photoshop to play around as i have some interest in graphic design, but nope its subscription service and i'm not gonna pay continuously for some hobby that i really lack.....though i heard affinity designer pretty good these days, anybody using that?

i hate game subscription

this one can go f*** itself