MSI Z390 Gaming Carbon + 970 Evo Nvme low speeds

Kenjo

Hey again, 

I have a z390 with a 970 evo 1tb NVMe m.2 and a Kingston A2000 1tb NVMe m.2 and im achiveing around 900mb/s sequential read / write... advertised speed on the 970 is 3500 / 3200... updated mobo bios to latest today but still no change will include a picture of Magician performance test... im stumped

970evoslow.png

Update: 11.49 GMT+1.... After reinstalling windows 10 pro on the Kingston A2000 nvme.. nothing has changed.... need urgent help guys.... come on Anthony solve the issue ;)

Have you try trimming your SSD?

Anyway, this really depends on how the m2 connected to your processor.

Don't ever trust the advertised speed, because they test it in a controlled environment.

Check Windows task manager if your SSD hits 100% while testing. Maybe you can find a clue if there are other software hinder the performance.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

17 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Don't ever trust the advertised speed, because they test it in a controlled environment.

Check Windows task manager if your SSD hits 100% while testing. Maybe you can find a clue if there are other software hinder the performance.

Tyvm for answering and to answer your followup questions, Trimming the nvme m.2 drive did nothing (already tried) , also Task manager states 100% usage when the disk is being used by crystaldiskmark and samsung magician... what i dont get is that Samsung said "remove the GPU and use the IGPU"... yet i see reviews of the same motherboard with a 2080 ti and hitting 3300+mb/s with their drive connected to m.2_2 (twin turbo slot according to MSI)... 

I have tried everything except the Linus method of Dropping everything from a reasonable height ! 

Also found this hilarious when going thru Device manager/event viewer and checking drivers (see screenshot) , i thought it was 2019 now ;) 

1968.png

18 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Updated this morning: 

Installed my "old" 960 Evo nvme 250gb drive and that also only achievs 890mb/s sequentials... im out of idea´s at this point.... 

4 hours ago, Kenjo said:

im out of idea´s at this point.... 

Me too. Sorry, mate.

Anyway, what is your motherboard make and model?

Apparently, according to Intel specs for the chipset, The Processor provides PCIe 3.0 x16 lanes only. Your M2 might be from the chipset, which may be the cause of the bottlenecking.

According to your speed reported, your NVMe only runs on x1 lane. To push your NVMe to run at the speed of 3500MB/s, you need x4 lanes. Check your motherboard manual if they are sharing the PCIe 3.0 lanes with other components. So, beside NVMe, what other component does your system has?

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

On 9/11/2019 at 3:24 AM, Kenjo said:

Hey again, 

I have a z390 with a 970 evo 1tb NVMe m.2 and a Kingston A2000 1tb NVMe m.2 and im achiveing around 900mb/s sequential read / write... advertised speed on the 970 is 3500 / 3200... updated mobo bios to latest today but still no change will include a picture of Magician performance test... im stumped

970evoslow.png

Update: 11.49 GMT+1.... After reinstalling windows 10 pro on the Kingston A2000 nvme.. nothing has changed.... need urgent help guys.... come on Anthony solve the issue ;)

Install the driver's and also I think that motherboard has the option in bios to enable x4 instead of x2. Just do a quick Google search on how to install a m.2 Evo and there should be a guide on how to do it. The x4 basically bring all of its potential 

Also some/most motherboards require you to unplug pci e 5 and 6 so you won't bottle neck the m.2 make sure those ports are clear of anything 

As well clearing the CMOS can fix PCIe lane allocation issues like the one you’re experiencing. I have to do it every now and then when setting up new PCs or when I do new rounds of SSD testing. It’s usually an issue that happens at hardware/firmware level than software. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

18 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Me too. Sorry, mate.

Anyway, what is your motherboard make and model?

Apparently, according to Intel specs for the chipset, The Processor provides PCIe 3.0 x16 lanes only. Your M2 might be from the chipset, which may be the cause of the bottlenecking.

According to your speed reported, your NVMe only runs on x1 lane. To push your NVMe to run at the speed of 3500MB/s, you need x4 lanes. Check your motherboard manual if they are sharing the PCIe 3.0 lanes with other components. So, beside NVMe, what other component does your system has?

Hey mate, its an MSI z390 Gaming Pro Carbon and according to software like Sisoft Sandra / hwinfo64 / magician both pci-e are PCI-e Gen 3 x4 .... 

System spec: 
i9-9900k
msi z390 gaming pro carbon 
32gb ddr4 3000mhz
Msi Rtx 2080 ti Gaming X Trio 
1x 970 evo nvme m.2 1tb
1x Kingston A2000 Nvme m.2 1tb 

No other PCI-e cards and if i calculate it right the lanes are something like this
GPu: 16x
Nvme: 4x + 4x
Total : 24x Pci-e lanes .. while the cpu is capable of 40 pci-e lanes if memory isnt destroyed at 0700 on a saturday morning

18 hours ago, Pauleft said:

Also some/most motherboards require you to unplug pci e 5 and 6 so you won't bottle neck the m.2 make sure those ports are clear of anything 

Hey , you should see the rig spec in the answer to Chiyawa , only have gpu + nvme drives utilizing the pci-e lanes ;)

14 hours ago, SSD Sean said:

As well clearing the CMOS can fix PCIe lane allocation issues like the one you’re experiencing. I have to do it every now and then when setting up new PCs or when I do new rounds of SSD testing. It’s usually an issue that happens at hardware/firmware level than software. 

Hey, 

Yeah i already tried that i think that 12h without a Cmos battery and jbat1 jumpered should have cleared anything in bios  ;) even the Gremlins ;) 

Its been sent back to the shop as we speak .. hopefully the replacement is in working order since both Samsung / Msi suggested i send the board in. 

Now i just have to wait to probably find out that both NVME drives have gone on holiday untill 2030 ;)

Hm was considering the Asus Hyper m.2 x16 v2 card , would that not be usefull ergo only using 1 of the m.2 slots on the board and then the 2nd pci-e x 16 slot ? 

Hmm, this idea just pop up. Remove all SATA Storage.

Oh, you have sent back for replacement? I see. Hope they can figure out what went wrong.

26 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Hmm, this idea just pop up. Remove all SATA Storage.

Oh, you have sent back for replacement? I see. Hope they can figure out what went wrong.

i had 0 sata storage... only storage = 2 x nvme m.2 ;)

and yes its at the postal office atm ;)

Close this thread please... it was a Defective board.. have a gigabyte board now and both nvme drives are working as advertised.. 970 = 3540mb/s ;)