Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BaconLord222

Upscale footage from 480p to 1080p

If you have Adobe Creative Cloud you can just drop the file into a 1080p timeline and it will scale it fairly well.  Davinci Resolve has a supper Scale feature built into it or there is the option waifu2x if you don't have either of those.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys!

I want to know if there is some sort of software that I can run that will be able to somewhat upscale some 640x480p30 footage to 1920x1080p30.

For context, I've been given a bunch of footage shot on an iPhone, and I've been tasked with recreating the Brooklyn nine nine intro with these video clips, however most of these clips are only 640x480.

I'm not looking for crystal-clear 1080p footage, just something that might be a bit better than 480p.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote this or use @BaconLord222 if you want a reply

My Website   |   Twitch   |   YouTube

Idk, follow me I guess...

Posted · Best Answer

If you have Adobe Creative Cloud you can just drop the file into a 1080p timeline and it will scale it fairly well.  Davinci Resolve has a supper Scale feature built into it or there is the option waifu2x if you don't have either of those.

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Thanatopsis said:

I'll give these a try and see how they go

Quote this or use @BaconLord222 if you want a reply

My Website   |   Twitch   |   YouTube

Idk, follow me I guess...

Adobe After Effects has a slightly better way of doing it versus Premiere.  It is called "Detail Preserving Upscaling".  Create a new composition with your desired resolution, drop in your footage, search for the "Detail Preserving Upscaling" in the Effects menu, drop that on and Upscale as necessary. 

It isn't a miracle worker but it does a slightly better job than Premiere I think.  Generally I will do that, then export it at a high bitrate with a double pass export.  I've had alright results from that method. 

Ryzen 7 2700X , Gigabyte AX370-Gaming-K5, EKWB Monoblock, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual Alphacool Pump/Res Combos, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Thermaltake Tower 900 case.