Upscale footage from 480p to 1080p

Go to solution Solved by Thanatopsis,

If you have Adobe Creative Cloud you can just drop the file into a 1080p timeline and it will scale it fairly well.  Davinci Resolve has a supper Scale feature built into it or there is the option waifu2x if you don't have either of those.

Hey guys!

I want to know if there is some sort of software that I can run that will be able to somewhat upscale some 640x480p30 footage to 1920x1080p30.

For context, I've been given a bunch of footage shot on an iPhone, and I've been tasked with recreating the Brooklyn nine nine intro with these video clips, however most of these clips are only 640x480.

I'm not looking for crystal-clear 1080p footage, just something that might be a bit better than 480p.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote this or use @BaconLord222 if you want a reply

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

CPU Cooler - Stock Wraith Spire thing lol

Mobo - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC 8GB

RAM - Team T-Force Dark 16gb (2x8gb) 3200MHz DDR4

Storage - Corsair Force Series Mp510 240gb

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm HDD

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Case - Phanteks Eclipse P300

O/S - Windows 10 Home 64bit

If you have Adobe Creative Cloud you can just drop the file into a 1080p timeline and it will scale it fairly well.  Davinci Resolve has a supper Scale feature built into it or there is the option waifu2x if you don't have either of those.

1 hour ago, Thanatopsis said:

I'll give these a try and see how they go

Quote this or use @BaconLord222 if you want a reply

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

CPU Cooler - Stock Wraith Spire thing lol

Mobo - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC 8GB

RAM - Team T-Force Dark 16gb (2x8gb) 3200MHz DDR4

Storage - Corsair Force Series Mp510 240gb

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm HDD

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Case - Phanteks Eclipse P300

O/S - Windows 10 Home 64bit

Adobe After Effects has a slightly better way of doing it versus Premiere.  It is called "Detail Preserving Upscaling".  Create a new composition with your desired resolution, drop in your footage, search for the "Detail Preserving Upscaling" in the Effects menu, drop that on and Upscale as necessary. 

It isn't a miracle worker but it does a slightly better job than Premiere I think.  Generally I will do that, then export it at a high bitrate with a double pass export.  I've had alright results from that method. 

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.