DNS Hijack Intermediary Device

MrDevanWright

I'm looking to play a prank on my office. I don't have access to the network settings, but I do have access to the server rack, and in turn the gateway wan.

I'm trying to figure out a way to make everyone's browser redirect to a funny video when they attempt to surf, thinking hijacking the DNS would be the easiest solution, if I can find a device that I can put inbetween the the router and it's modem.

Any other ideas or digital pranks are appreciated.

You don't even have to put your device in the middle, just run a rogue dhcp and have it go to your dns server. Or mess with arp.

But really, don't mess with the network, really don't

16 minutes ago, MrDevanWright said:

I'm looking to play a prank on my office. I don't have access to the network settings, but I do have access to the server rack, and in turn the gateway wan.

I'm trying to figure out a way to make everyone's browser redirect to a funny video when they attempt to surf, thinking hijacking the DNS would be the easiest solution, if I can find a device that I can put inbetween the the router and it's modem.

Any other ideas or digital pranks are appreciated.

What you are wanting to do is not a "prank" you are changing a system without permission this is technically consider hacking and is illegal. So if you want to lose your job feel free to keep going down this road, but I would highly advise against it. This would be a career ender as I am sure something like this would follow you to the next job you try to land.

OP to their boss: "bro it's just a prank... please don't fire me dude.. it was a prank.. bro.." (I assume.)

Unless you have admin rights on the authorized DNS server for your domain then you will have a lot of trouble pulling this little prank. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

let's just say that if you do pull a prank, don't mess with the networking

something like enderman.ch melting screen prank will suffice

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

if you are going to do this pass it by the boss and the network admin so they know whats happening

that way you don't get in trouble and others can be in on it!

also 

4 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

it was a prank.. bro..

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

just perform "maintenance" and change there default opening page to said video.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

* thread locked *

This is not something this forum will help with. When you're in IT or have access to IT equipment, this is something you want to avoid, changing the whole business DNS settings through a"man-in-the-middle" device isn't something the sysadmins will treat lightly.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !