New Work PC

Ravendarat

Hey guys, im just building a very simple work PC that will be used for web browsing and video playback, just likely 1080p movie files or maybe off of netfix which could be as high as 4k. Just using the onboard graphics. Anything wrong with my selection here or should I be good to go.

9 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Why not just get a laptop or a tablet?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

The CPU is a lot more than you need for the task you described, an Athlon 200GE is fine. If you wanted anything more capable the 2200G is much cheaper

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Why not just get a laptop or a tablet?

Because I already have a 60 inch 4k sony tv on the wall I can use, which is an advantage as I can put wiring schematics up on it and a tablet is no good as I use web based programs that you have to use internet explorer with to interface with usb devices that go to my remote starters that I install. Need a full desktop or a laptop, but would prefer to build a PC as opposed to a more restrictive laptop

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The CPU is a lot more than you need for the task you described, an Athlon 200GE is fine. If you wanted anything more capable the 2200G is much cheaper

I thought about going to the 2200g, I just figured for the small amount of money needed to go to the 3rd gen I would go that route so I could always re purpose the system later if I so choose. But knowing the 2200g is a solid choice for my tasks is good to know and might end up being the way i go

18 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Well before I do the rest there's a $90 R5 2400G on ebay, you should pick up that CPU used as it'll be cheap like that.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Ryzen-5-2400G-Quad-core-Socket-Am4-Desktop-Processor/113832222464?epid=17031292045&hash=item1a80eddf00:g:JfIAAOSwCCpcpHCj:sc:ShippingMethodExpress!92020!US!-1

Wait, damn, why must you be in Canada, might be able to find something similar on there anyways.

Also if you go with the Ryzen 3000 series you need an MSI B450 board with USB bios flashing, unless you have a spare first/2nd gen CPU around.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Well before I do the rest there's a $90 R5 2400G on ebay, you should pick up that CPU used as it'll be cheap like that.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Ryzen-5-2400G-Quad-core-Socket-Am4-Desktop-Processor/113832222464?epid=17031292045&hash=item1a80eddf00:g:JfIAAOSwCCpcpHCj:sc:ShippingMethodExpress!92020!US!-1

Wait, damn, why must you be in Canada, might be able to find something similar on there anyways.

Yep Canada sucks for hardware compared to the US lol

5 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

I thought about going to the 2200g, I just figured for the small amount of money needed to go to the 3rd gen I would go that route so I could always re purpose the system later if I so choose. But knowing the 2200g is a solid choice for my tasks is good to know and might end up being the way i go

Chances are when you want to repurpose the PC for something like gaming you'll want more than a quad core anyways. Might also spring for the Asrock B450 Pro4 or Pro4F then for better VRMs as well.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Spoiler

Actually it still lets you buy it, so probably just pick that up? Or some R5 2400G listing anyways.

Once I pay shipping it ends up being the same price as the 3200G, would I be better off with the 2400G?

Just now, Ravendarat said:

Once I pay shipping it ends up being the same price as the 3200G, would I be better off with the 2400G?

The 3200 APUs are only Zen+, so it's not a major improvement, vs having 4 cores 8 threads.

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

The 3200 APUs are only Zen+, so it's not a major improvement, vs having 4 cores 8 threads.

Ah I c, ok well maybe Ill go that route then, Thanks for the help!!