Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terrorgod

Ryzen ram speeds dropped to half

Posted · Original PosterOP

So i'm running a ryzen 1700x on a asrock x370 pro4 motherboard and wanted to go back to my old stable overclock since i started high refresh rate gaming again. But when I pushed my overclock and went into control panel and cpuz, it now states that my previously 3000mhz ram is only running at 1500mhz. I tried swapping settings back and forth and changing profiles but no matter what now the ram is always half the speed i set it to. Googling the issue is still flooded with ryzen ram compatibility videos so I thought it best to come here. Any help is appreciated.

You know that DDR4 running at 1500MHz means an effective 3000MHz speed, right? My best guess is you are looking at the raw speeds. After applying double data rate DDR logic you end up with 3000

DDR stands for double data rate, that means for each cycle it does two transfers. So when you say ram is running at 3000mhz(effective), it is in fact running at 1500mhz, using double data rate signalling. 

So the truth is, it is running at 1500mhz, but performing 3000MT/s(mega-transfers per second). 

My Folding Stats

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 3.7Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 Hybrid, Aorus GTC 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    Wraith Spire LED

That is one thing i saw but it also used to say in the windows control panel that it was running at 3000mhz and now is saying 1500mhz. Is that something from a recent update?

4 minutes ago, Terrorgod said:

That is one thing i saw but it also used to say in the windows control panel that it was running at 3000mhz and now is saying 1500mhz. Is that something from a recent update?

Could be that it went deep. Wouldn't be the first time, wouldn't be the last. Listen to the BIOS and what it reports

The bios does report 3000mhz and I do remember situations were supposedly trustworthy programs lied "COUGH RYZEN MASTER TOOL COUGH" so maybe its just a weird thing on my desktop (laptops with the latest update still mark their full speed but who knows). I'll just mark this as resolved since it doesnt seem to be affecting much speed wise. thank you for all the assistance guys!

1 hour ago, Terrorgod said:

The bios does report 3000mhz and I do remember situations were supposedly trustworthy programs lied "COUGH RYZEN MASTER TOOL COUGH" so maybe its just a weird thing on my desktop (laptops with the latest update still mark their full speed but who knows). I'll just mark this as resolved since it doesnt seem to be affecting much speed wise. thank you for all the assistance guys!

RAM speed on AMD ryzen master is infinity fabric speed. DDR4 ram runs twice every cycle, and its true speed is half of what you set it at. Ryzen master isn't lying, and your bios isn't either

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500

At 3000Mhz RAM speed, memory controller and infinity fabric run at 1500Mhz. CPU z shows the half speed. DDR = double data rate.

Ryzen 3600X, MSI B450-A Pro, 32Ghz Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Watercooled MSI GTX 1080 Armor,

Seasonic SSR-550rm, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Rosewill Stryker M

Xeon X5680, X58 Sabertooth, 24GB KLEVV 1600Mhz , Windforce GTX 960 4GB OC, Corsair CX550M