model railroad thread.

Thanks for sharing that video with us! That guy's attention to detail is remarkable, especially the realistic weathering of everything--rolling stock, trackage, scenery, etc.

One thing I noticed was the lack of trash on the ground and gafitti of the cars. I don't know about the right side of the pond but, here on the left side, you would see some trash on the right of way, especially in the area of the yards, and most cars will have quite a bit of graffiti adorning them.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

12 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Thanks for sharing that video with us! That guy's attention to detail is remarkable, especially the realistic weathering of everything--rolling stock, trackage, scenery, etc.

You're most welcome, I'll post others if I find them.

12 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

One thing I noticed was the lack of trash on the ground and gafitti of the cars. I don't know about the right side of the pond but, here on the left side, you would see some trash on the right of way, especially in the area of the yards, and most cars will have quite a bit of graffiti adorning them.

Can't remember what his intentions were exactly, but from what I remember, the right side of that particular river/stream is meant to be sort of industrial or something like that, while the left side is more residential.

Here's the video of him making it if you were interested in his build process, it's almost and hour long, so just keep that in mind lol.

Here's a playlist of him building and talking about the new layout that he has in the works. (the parts are a bit out of wack tho)

Spoiler

He does do good work. However, his concrete sidewalk desperately needed control and expansion joints.

Also, why do so many Boobtube videos have such loud music? I got tired of riding the volume control.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

14 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

He does do good work. However, his concrete sidewalk desperately needed control and expansion joints.

Also, why do so many Boobtube videos have such loud music? I got tired of riding the volume control.

He mentioned that this is just a hobby, and some time ago, he stopped posting for a while, so either he doesn't have much time to add a lot of the small details, or he's following a "less is more" approach.

As for the volume, I honestly don't know, I usually just reposition my headphones so that the music isn't as loud.

3 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

He mentioned that this is just a hobby, and some time ago, he stopped posting for a while, so either he doesn't have much time to add a lot of the small details, or he's following a "less is more" approach...

It just seemed odd that after all the careful pains he paid to details (he literally poured , screeded, and troweled his sidewalks!), he would neglect to add expansion and control joints.

3 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

...As for the volume, I honestly don't know, I usually just reposition my headphones so that the music isn't as loud.

That was me just venting. There seems to be an epidemic of Boobtube videos where the music, usually with excessively heavy bass, is much louder than the narrative the past year or two.

Jeannie

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

It just seemed odd that after all the careful pains he paid to details (he literally poured , screeded, and troweled his sidewalks!), he would neglect to add expansion and control joints.

Maybe it's the look he's after; he's going for an 80's look iirc, so maybe that's it, or maybe he just wants to make it simplistic, or lazy heh, but I can't fault him for that.

3 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

That was me just venting. There seems to be an epidemic of Boobtube videos where the music, usually with excessively heavy bass, is much louder than the narrative the past year or two.

Ah I see, the loudness equalization on some vids I see is terrible, so maybe I just got used to it at this point lol.

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

Maybe it's the look he's after; he's going for an 80's look iirc, so maybe that's it, or maybe he just wants to make it simplistic, or lazy heh, but I can't fault him for that...

Curious. I've been around since the late '40s and I do not ever recall (not that my memory is all that great) seeing a sidewalk that didn't have expansionb and crack control joints. Without expansion joints, a sidewalk wouldn't last a year without buckling and heaving, even in a hot climate like I live in. Even with expansion joints, concrete will crack like crazy unless a place is provided for the cracks to happen in a planned manner, hence the need for control joints.

And yes, I'm being picky. It doesn't diminish the fact the guy does remarkable work!

Jeannie

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Curious. I've been around since the late '40s and I do not ever recall (not that my memory is all that great) seeing a sidewalk that didn't have expansionb and crack control joints. Without expansion joints, a sidewalk wouldn't last a year without buckling and heaving, even in a hot climate like I live in. Even with expansion joints, concrete will crack like crazy unless a place is provided for the cracks to happen in a planned manner, hence the need for control joints.

And yes, I'm being picky. It doesn't diminish the fact the guy does remarkable work!

That I don't know, I haven't followed his build vids in some time, so I don't know if he explained it before or not.

Maybe he'll use stencils or something in the future.

• 1 month later...

I thought this thread died and I am so happy to be wrong!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Can this thread be for trains in general and not just model railroads?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

30 minutes ago, TrainFan2019 said:

I don't see why not. After all, the model railroads are models of the reall one.

Jeannie

1 hour ago, TrainFan2019 said:

yep!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

57 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

would be awsome though ngl.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be setting up my Lionel trains here for Christmas. When I do I will try to get some pics. I don't have a layout currently but plan on it sometime in the near future. I also have my old slot cars but no track to run them on. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

Out of the blue question regarding Christmas trains:

ive got an old z scale setup (it’s totally German there aren’t even instructions in English) that was set up every year for Christmas since I was a child.  Little tiny things.  The engine is smaller than my thumb.  It’s quite old but I think still in working order.  Is this something that I should consider a collectors item? And what should I do with it?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

43 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Out of the blue question regarding Christmas trains:

ive got an old z scale setup (it’s totally German there aren’t even instructions in English) that was set up every year for Christmas since I was a child.  Little tiny things.  The engine is smaller than my thumb.  It’s quite old but I think still in working order.  Is this something that I should consider a collectors item? And what should I do with it?

Come on, we need pics!

Jeannie

18 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Come on, we need pics!

It’s in my basement.  It’s cold down there.  Bah.  I may get to this.

so I went to the basement.  Nothing but Christmas ornaments.  Asked my sisters about it.  Apparently my mom bought in Germany in 1977.  Was savaged by a cat at one point.  May no longer exist.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 9/10/2019 at 5:02 PM, will4623 said:

this is the LTT model railroad thread. I am not wordy and this is the best I've got right now.

cool

i used to do model railroad way back before most of you were born. it was a lot of fun. i made lots of landscapes using plaster of paris. fun times!

• 3 weeks later...

That guy's attenton to detail is amazing. I totally cracked up when I saw the name of the insurance company. That's totally what my medical insurance company should be named.

Jeannie