Noob cook - Todays use by date beef

grangervoldemort
Go to solution Solved by TomvanWijnen,
34 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

This is wrong: Don't use any food or drink after the end of the "use by" date on the label, even if it looks and smells fine. This is because using it after this date could put your health at risk. ... Once a food with a "use by" date on it has been opened, you also need to follow any instructions, such as "eat within 3 days of opening".

Meh. I've eaten chocolate of more than a year past the best before date. Cheese of more than two weeks past the best before date. Some meat after a day or perhaps two, but only after looking, smelling, and asking someone else. As for meat, heating it (e.g. tosti) can help a bit too. Do be really careful with meat though, as it is one of the more tricky foods regarding dates. Never had any issues.

I just started cooking properly for the first time ever. 

I have two beef minces in the fridge from hellofresh.

2 different recipes.

I can cook them both tonight (it's 10:06pm here in the UK).

The Use By date is TODAY.

Does this mean I can eat them today? What about after midnight - it's like wtf.... I know it's not magically gonna become e coli infected after midnight but at what point do you adhere to the use by date then?

IF I can safely cook and eat this meat, can I then store the cooked meat in the fridge and consume within 2-3 days? 

Me sacred.

Thanks

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

Frozen meats last up to 6 months but you may have to check the meat. Anything that doesnt look right is no good.

3 minutes ago, AlexOak said:

oK so that just tells me cooked meats are ok to eat 2-3 days. Which I already know. My cirumstance is outlined above - TODAYS use by date etc etc.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

wow i thought this was going to be about the apple keynote.

for the food the use by date is a massive safty margin from where you got the food from.

generally if it does not smell or look bad its fine

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

5 minutes ago, Acid Panda said:

wow i thought this was going to be about the apple keynote.

for the food the use by date is a massive safty margin from where you got the food from.

generally if it does not smell or look bad its fine

This is wrong: Don't use any food or drink after the end of the "use by" date on the label, even if it looks and smells fine. This is because using it after this date could put your health at risk. ... Once a food with a "use by" date on it has been opened, you also need to follow any instructions, such as "eat within 3 days of opening".

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

3 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

i really feel this opinion is wrong. its a liability standpoint to make sure they don't get sued if you eat food past a certain point. i frequently eat food that is past the use by that and have never been ill because of it.

please prove me wrong @grangervoldemort

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

2 minutes ago, Acid Panda said:

i really feel this opinion is wrong. its a liability standpoint to make sure they don't get sued if you eat food past a certain point. i frequently eat food that is past the use by that and have never been ill because of it.

please prove me wrong @grangervoldemort

This is written on the NHS website. I live in the UK. If you don't know what the NHS is look it up. Prove you wrong? What die or become disabled somehow due to infected meat? No thanks,

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

19 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

This is wrong: Don't use any food or drink after the end of the "use by" date on the label, even if it looks and smells fine. This is because using it after this date could put your health at risk.

It depends on the type of food.

It's not going to magically go bad the day after the "use by date". In fact, many food products can last for months after said date. Just that maybe the look or taste may change, but it won't make you sick or anything.

This is especially true for what we call "non-perishables", like canned goods, sealed up cereals, rice and what not.

Things like Juices can easily last a few weeks after the use by date.

Milk can last another week or two. Same with Yogurts.

Bread products, if you put them in your fridge, it will last for WAY longer.

Meat, should be frozen ASAP when approaching the final date, but it can often last for a day or two longer. It's not rare for a butcher to put a new use by date on their meat after smelling and touching it to see if it was still good.

Yes there's the whole food safety thing, but unless you own a restaurant, you shouldn't give too much thought to Use by dates. It's a liability thing like Acid Panda said.

I know they are often bullshit because I've worked at a food bank. They don't get fresh food there, 90% of it is "expired" by a day to a week if not more depending on the type of product. Food gets sorted out to remove the "bad apples" and distributed to the poor. If it really posed such a huge risk on health, that'd like saying it's ok to essentially poison the poor.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

This is written on the NHS website. I live in the UK. If you don't know what the NHS is look it up. Prove you wrong? What die or become disabled somehow due to infected meat? No thanks,

i live in the UK as well

this also seems like advice.

so what your saying is that the moment food goes past the use by date you bin it? is that not a waste of food and money.

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

Please emember the difference between use by and best before. Easy to mix it up. 

In that video he lady says minced beef has basically a larger surface area and so goes bad faster. I have MINCED beef with TODAYS use by date.

1) Is it safe to cook and eat it today?

2) Is it then safe to store it in the fridge once it's cooled down (it will be cooked with other stuff obv like potatoes, rice, red pepper etc) and then eat it over the next 2-3 days, bearing in mind the USE BY date is TODAY?

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

3 minutes ago, Acid Panda said:

i live in the UK as well

this also seems like advice.

so what your saying is that the moment food goes past the use by date you bin it? is that not a waste of food and money.

Read my OP. I haven't really ever cooked. It's been years since I cooked properly and even then I have never cooked an entire days worth of food by myself for myself as I don't know any good recipes. Either my mum and aunty cook or I eat out for the past many years and go hungry most of the time.

Also I just discovered a game on the Mac called Rimworld. I have been playing it for 10 hours straight now apart from sleeping. Help me. It's one of the most addictive games I have come across.
I haven't eaten for over 24 hours now.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

You're fine, the use by date is different than the best-before date.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Just now, grangervoldemort said:

Read my OP. I haven't really ever cooked. It's been years since I cooked properly. Either my mum and aunty cook or I eat out for the past many years and go hungry most of the time.

1 hour ago, grangervoldemort said:

IF I can safely cook and eat this meat, can I then store the cooked meat in the fridge and consume within 2-3 days? 

To answer your question.

Yes.

You can safely cook and eat the meat with the use by date of today. As long as it doesn't smell strange and isn't slimy.

You can then store said cooked meat in your fridge for 2 to 3 days(Ideally less than 2), more if it's vacuum sealed, for consuming later because the cooking process would've killed most of the bacterial growth on it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

ok so if you cook the food. let it cool down and then put in the fridge. it will be fine for a few days.

but if want the rest of it heat it up again and then let it cool (if you have not eaten it). bin what you have not eaten. this is when you have the risk of food poisoning 

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

34 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

Meh. I've eaten chocolate of more than a year past the best before date. Cheese of more than two weeks past the best before date. Some meat after a day or perhaps two, but only after looking, smelling, and asking someone else. As for meat, heating it (e.g. tosti) can help a bit too. Do be really careful with meat though, as it is one of the more tricky foods regarding dates. Never had any issues.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

20 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

I just started cooking properly for the first time ever. 

I have two beef minces in the fridge from hellofresh.

2 different recipes.

I can cook them both tonight (it's 10:06pm here in the UK).

The Use By date is TODAY.

Does this mean I can eat them today? What about after midnight - it's like wtf.... I know it's not magically gonna become e coli infected after midnight but at what point do you adhere to the use by date then?

Me sacred.

Thanks

You should cook both tonight. The Use By date is just a suggestion, based on averages. Usually the food is still good for another day or so, but you don't want to push it with meat.

Once you've cooked both of them, portion them up into individual meals in tupperware containers. Put a few in the fridge (they'll keep for 2-3 days no problem in the fridge), and put the rest into the freezer (they'll keep for weeks in the freezer).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 9/10/2019 at 11:48 PM, TomvanWijnen said:

Best before only indicates when the food item will taste as it's meant to, and have all it's nutritional value intact. NOT when it is SAFE to eat by which is the USE By date.

I ended up not cooking the minced beef as I wasn't even sure it was minced beef and instead pork which I hate. Long story. It's from Hellofresh. I would strongly not recommend buying hellofresh as the macros are insane. The chicken chow mein paste and sauce (which both go into the dish) combined contain more sugar than a can of soda. More than 35g of sugar! 

It also doesn't taste good. The thai prawn curry I made today was utterly disgusting. My first and last ever thai dish although as I said the recipes from hellofresh are utter vile. They rely on the flavor coming from there cheap premade sauces/pastes instead of fresh spices and herbs.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

If its been frozen it can last quite a while. I wouldn't really recommend eating it after the use-by date, on the day its fine. Beef is pretty ok, but NEVER eat chicken or pork after its use-by date. 

most of the time the food is good past the use by date and ive had food spoil before the use by date also so its just an estimate really

1 hour ago, floofer said:

Beef is pretty ok, but NEVER eat chicken or pork after its use-by date. 

Ah yes that's a good one, pork and especially chicken are quite difficult, already before they're old, so indeed be really careful wth those. The same goes for fish.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

1 hour ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Ah yes that's a good one, pork and especially chicken are quite difficult, already before they're old, so indeed be really careful wth those. The same goes for fish.

Fish is fine