Overclocking Temperatures Seem High

Skipple

Hi everyone,

I am overclocking my CPU for the first time and my temperatures seems a bit high for the voltage. 

Hardware: 

When overclocking, I am able to get around 4.4GHz at 1.285v. 

I am only concerned because even at this relatively low voltage my temperatures at getting a bit hot when stressing with AIDA64.

at 1.285v I am hanging around 70-75°. Does that seem high? I certainly can't start heading into the 4.5GHz/1.3v range... Attempted that and hit 87° before BSOD...

I am only wondering because Linus in his tutorial starts off at 4.5 and 1.325. *whew*...

Is what I am experiencing normal with my cooler or does this seem hot?

Thanks, 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Did you really expect to reach max overclocks with a 92mm cooler? Get something more beefy if you want to run 1.30-1.35v without running out of thermal headroom.

With optimal cooling, your CPU should be fine up to the 90 degree Celsius range.

Given you have a pretty small cooler on a 6700K, I'm not exactly surprised it doesn't hold up as well as something like what Linus had.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, badreg said:

Did you really expect to reach max overclocks with a 92mm cooler? Get something more beefy if you want to run 1.3-1.35v without running out of thermal headroom.

As I said, this is my first time overclocking so I didn't have much of any expectation. The cooler seemed somewhat similar to the 212 EVO so I was expecting something like that, but it makes sense that this wouldn't be able to archive with smaller fans.  

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

70-75C is definitely not that high, especially when stress testing, since in most real-world usage scenarios you'll notice lower temperatures.

Either way, not all CPUs are equal, so you shouldn't base your overclock entirely on what other people managed to get.

If you really want to go even farther with your overclock, I'd definitely suggest you to upgrade your cooler (Dark Rock Pro 4, NH-D15s or a 240mm or above AIO). But I reckon you should be good with 4.4GHz if you've got anything below a RTX 2080 (when it comes to games).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

With optimal cooling, your CPU should be fine up to the 90 degree Celsius range.

Given you have a pretty small cooler on a 6700K, I'm not exactly surprised it doesn't hold up as well as something like what Linus had.

Okay, thanks. Not sure how much more I will push it past 1.3 wit the current cooler I have. I know the NH-D15 is often the go-to recommendation for air cooler so I will look into getting one of those. 

ask me about my homelab

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

If you really want to go even farther with your overclock, I'd definitely suggest you to upgrade your cooler (Dark Rock Pro 4, NH-D15s or a 240mm or above AIO). But I reckon you should be good with 4.4GHz if you've got anything below a RTX 2080 (when it comes to games).

Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually running into some issues with streaming to twitch from my PC and playing certain games which is why I was trying to push my OC.

ask me about my homelab

4 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Okay, thanks. Not sure how much more I will push it past 1.3 wit the current cooler I have. I know the NH-D15 is often the go-to recommendation for air cooler so I will look into getting one of those. 

Either the Noctua or a bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. I'd go with whichever one is cheaper out of the two personally, they perform pretty similarly.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually running into some issues with streaming to twitch from my PC and playing certain games which is why I was trying to push my OC.

What kind of issues?

The clocks and temps you're hitting seem normal. A better cooler may help hit a slightly higher oc but it's probably not going to make a big difference in performance. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

What kind of issues?

The clocks and temps you're hitting seem normal. A better cooler may help hit a slightly higher oc but it's probably not going to make a big difference in performance. 

During certain activities my CPU was pinning at 100% causing stuttering in the stream. I don't remember exactly what it was that I was doing, but I figured as better overclock would give me a bit of overhead. 

ask me about my homelab

51 minutes ago, Skipple said:

During certain activities my CPU was pinning at 100% causing stuttering in the stream. I don't remember exactly what it was that I was doing, but I figured as better overclock would give me a bit of overhead. 

Try and recreate the situation. It'll make diagnosis and addressing the issue easier. Have you tried tweaking streaming settings?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Linus is using 240mm AIO in that "guide". Even the falled budget king 212 EVO is just rubbish in comparison.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Linus is using 240mm AIO in that "guide". Even the falled budget king 212 EVO is just rubbish in comparison.

Okay, good to know. Thanks!

ask me about my homelab