French division of LTT? because Canada.

soloofboom
57 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Isn't there a tool/plugin to auto translate the forums, and hopefully translate comments made through phpBB?

I'd rather not see this same topic pop up for each of the 70+ different aboriginal languages in Canada one after the other.

The forum doesn't use phpBB but yes there should be something for IPB if I remember correctly.

28 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

this thread is why no one likes quebec, even other people from quebec

lol

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

We start learning English from the lower levels of primary school, there's literally no reason for anyone above the age of 12 in Quebec to be unable to understand the English language, other than sheer stupidity, in which case you'd be unlikely to even understand what Linus is talking about in his videos in the first place.

The tech world as a whole is primarily in English, if you're interested in Tech, you'd better learn English.

Like @Spotty said, if LMG was smart, they'd sooner target the 1.3 billion of Indians over the few of us who cannot understand English in French Canada.

Don't underestimate people's laziness to learn it and the "almighty law 101". Unfortunately, there's a lot of people that don't have a "functional" level of English because they haven't spoke in English since high school/college or just don't care. Hell, most of my friends vocabulary is limited to yes, no, toaster and tupperware. I've started doing YT videos lately both in English (Tech videos) and French (Pokémon cards openings) and I'm seriously thinking about doing half and half openings from now on and just add subtitles manually because why not?

There would be some merit to do some stuff in French but I don't see why they would cater specifically to a smaller market. I don't follow any French techtubers but I'm sure there's a lot of them already. LTT would only be a +1 in that space anyway.

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

i remember in one ltt video linus is speaking french tho, cant remember which one

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

10 minutes ago, zassou said:

i remember in one ltt video linus is speaking french tho, cant remember which one

Him attempting to speak in French for a second or two and failing horribly doesn't count.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Him attempting to speak in French for a second or two and failing horribly doesn't count.

Video evidence of Linus' early days working on behalf of A&P trying to get their youtube page up and running.

Haha, no. Just no. I'd almost say there's probably a greater demand for Spanish, to cater to those in America, than there would be French for Canada.

98% of Canadians speak English. Why cater to the 2% that can't? How many of that 750,000 do you think even care about LTT?

And yes, before you ask, I do think Quebec should have separated. Good riddance.

5 hours ago, soloofboom said:

about 1/3 of Canada. thanks

Please, don't give yourself that much credit. You're at most 22% of Canada, and that's just those that live there; I know tons of people that don't even speak French but they live in Quebec.

5 hours ago, The_Prycer said:

The vast majority of Linus's viewerbase is American though. 

Are you specifically suggesting they do certain videos in French, with French-Canadian individuals (yourself in this case), to appeal to Quebec and the country of France or are you suggesting that LMG create an entirely French speaking division who do all their own videos?

Haha, that's not entirely accurate either though. Quebec French isn't the same as French in France. Quebecers are a bit of an outcast like that. Sort of like how Australians are technically British...but convicts, so you know, not quite thought of as the same ?

5 hours ago, soloofboom said:

You know that Canada is part of America, right?

I'm not referring only to videos.  Just having a french division to begin with, because we are a bilingual country, and then see what happens.  Maybe starting with a french section on the forums and having french moderators and building slowly but surely a crowd that can click on amazon.ca referrals links.

Why? There aren't enough people to make that worth the time or investment. Then you could just as easily say why don't we have a Chinese, or Indian portion of the forum? Where does it stop? I'm pretty sure they don't make that much money from the Canadian Amazon links. English, for now, is the universal language, and as such, that's what they will conduct business in.

4 hours ago, soloofboom said:

Or to include what we can called ''diversity''.  If a native french canadian want to be part of the linus experience, but does not speak english well enough, he just can't.  So the exclude thing goes both ways.  If our french technology have french problems, we just have to build a CONSEILS DE TECHNOLOGIES forum in french and don't bother the english speakers?

French technology? What, you Franophones have some shit the rest of us don't know about? No, you don't. Any problem can be fixed in English.

4 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Don't French-Canadians speak English anyways? 

Going off the OP: "this text is written by a french-canadian", but it's written in English so obvs you can understand it. 

If they don't, they really should. One of the many reasons I hate Quebec.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

26 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, no. Just no. I'd almost say there's probably a greater demand for Spanish, to cater to those in America, than there would be French for Canada.

98% of Canadians speak English. Why cater to the 2% that can't? How many of that 750,000 do you think even care about LTT?

To be fair, technically about 4 million Quebecois residents identify as French speaking monolinguals (meaning they only speak French). That's about 10% of Canada (These numbers are based off of a recent Census, so it's self reporting). Still, even if we take that at face value, 90% of Canadians speak English, including more than 50% of Quebecois residents.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Nor does anybody call North + South "America" (They call it "The Americas", plural).

Interesting. I actually do call it "North and South America", and have never called it "The Americas"! Perhaps it's a language thing. Though, I did have geography in English for three years, and don't think I ever heard it there either... I have heard it a couple of times in English stuff on ze interwebs, though.

5 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Don't French-Canadians speak English anyways? 

Going off the OP: "this text is written by a french-canadian", but it's written in English so obvs you can understand it. 

French-Canadians might speak English, but most proper French people (those living in France) do not, so for them it would be useful. ;) Then again, how big is the request from there? I expect them to rather want to watch someone from their own country, and I'm fairly sure that they already do. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

1 minute ago, TomvanWijnen said:

French-Canadians might speak English, but most proper French people (those living in France) do not, so for them it would be useful. ;) Then again, how big is the request from there? I expect them to rather want to watch someone from their own country, and I'm fairly sure that they already do. :)

Exactly. I'm not gonna go request German content creators start making videos in English, I just watch guys who speak my language. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I'm French (the real kind) and to be honest, we made an enormous amount of progress with English ourselves the past decade, so much that I wouldn't even consider watching french stuff on the internet except for niche french-only topics that english speakers just can't produce.

It's very quebecois to ask for english speakers to adapt to them, and even for us in France they look like extreme franco-terrorists :D .

The saddest is we don't even get what they say when they speak, so a "quebecois" video wouldn't even reach french and african francophone markets :D