French division of LTT? because Canada.

soloofboom

Hi Linus and friends,

I'm here since the beginning of Linus @ NCIX and it was a huge growth over the years, the quality of the content and the show were going in the good direction, until...now.

It looks like we hit a point of quality content vs quantity to please YT algorithms.

Maybe it's time to get new peeps coming to your channel, like french Canadians.  Like, 9 000 000 people.

I'm a dynamic overall tech who would be pleased to get in touch for any questions or needs about french related topics.  

Canada is a bilingual country and Linus is intelligent, he knows what to do.

*this text is written by a french-canadian, please be patient*

(:

1200px-Flag_of_Canada_(Pantone).svg.png

2 minutes ago, jeanchri said:

It looks like we hit a point of quality content vs quantity to please YT algorithms.

Well, Linus Media Group is a legitimate business that needs to make money.

Unfortunately, pleasing the YouTube algorithm is the best way to do that.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, The_Prycer said:

hverjum er sama um að tala frönsku?

about 1/3 of Canada. thanks

1 minute ago, jeanchri said:

about 1/3 of Canada. thanks

The vast majority of Linus's viewerbase is American though. 

Are you specifically suggesting they do certain videos in French, with French-Canadian individuals (yourself in this case), to appeal to Quebec and the country of France or are you suggesting that LMG create an entirely French speaking division who do all their own videos?

That alienates more people than it includes while also requiring more time and money.

LMG would be better served by just having professional French subtitles added to their YouTube videos by competent translators so that people who prefer French over English can read what's going on.

Do you know how excited I'd be if LTT were translated to Icelandic? Actually scratch that, do you know how excited I'd be if basically anything was translated to Icelandic? THE HYPE WOULD BE UNREAL, but unfortunately only about half a million people speak it world-wide so I get the short end of the stick. It took years to even get the Harry Potter books.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

9 minutes ago, The_Prycer said:

The vast majority of Linus's viewerbase is American though. 

You know that Canada is part of America, right?

I'm not referring only to videos.  Just having a french division to begin with, because we are a bilingual country, and then see what happens.  Maybe starting with a french section on the forums and having french moderators and building slowly but surely a crowd that can click on amazon.ca referrals links.

I'm not referring only to videos.  Just having a french division to begin with, because we are a bilingual country, and then see what happens.  Maybe starting with a french section on the forums and having french moderators and building slowly but surely a crowd that can click on amazon.ca referrals links.

I am aware that Canada is a part of the North American continent, yes. However, Linus gets the majority of his viewers from the country of America, which is a touch south of you.

What you are asking for is for Linus to invest time and money in to something that may or may not work to develop a large French speaking community around his successful English speaking project. If you feel there is not enough French tech content on YouTube you are more than welcome to create it yourself or to begin creating French content on the forums to support your fellow language users.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

2 minutes ago, The_Prycer said:

I am aware that Canada is a part of the North American continent, yes. However, Linus gets the majority of his viewers from the country of America, which is a touch south of you.

There is no such country as America.  It's called United-States.

Time and money... smh

Start with a forum with its own ecosystem and moderators does not take that much time and ressources.

There are few french tech tips but not with the Linus spirit.

Regards,

Jc

Just now, jeanchri said:

Okay, that's enough of that :)

We know (ANY Canadian knows) that Canada and the US (and Mexico) are collectively part of the Continent of North America, which is the northern counterpart to South America, which is collectively referred to as "The Americas".

Nobody calls North America "America" though. Nor does anybody call North + South "America" (They call it "The Americas", plural).

In fact, globally, it's recognized that anyone who says "America", means "The United States of America" - so yeah. I get it, we Canadians can be a little touchy on that, but let's just drop that and move on.

Just now, jeanchri said:

What exactly would be the purpose of a "French Division". What would they do? Who would they employ, and what tasks would that person be responsible for?

The idea of a French section of the forum is counter intuitive to to the ideals of the forum in general, which is universal communication. Having any subforum in any alternate language means inherently that a very large portion of the LTT forum userbase will not be able to participate in the conversation.

The Mods make allowances for people who want to discuss in their native language via the language megathreads, but it's discouraged for the forum at large because we don't want people posting questions or problems in a language that most users simply can't understand.

The unfortunate truth is that English is the universal language on the forums, because we can expect any forum member to know at least a little English.

Just now, jeanchri said:

There is no such country as America.  It's called United-States.

Actually there's no such country as "United-States", it's called "The United States of America". It's also internationally recognized shorthand to call it "America", and everyone knows what you're talking about.

Just now, jeanchri said:

Time and money... smh

Start with a forum with its own ecosystem and moderators does not take that much time and ressources.

Why, though? To exclude other forum members?

Just now, jeanchri said:

There are few french tech tips but not with the Linus spirit.

If there's a big enough userbase, it may be possible, eventually, to have videos translated into French language, but largely, French Subtitles are likely the more realistic result.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

weaksauce

I've tried to have a good-faith argument with you, but it's obvious you either want Linus & co. to hire you and cater to your French language desires-and therefore you are extremely entitled-or you are a troll-and not a very good one at that.

Also your pedantry needs work. 3/10 jimmies not rustled.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

I'd say that the majority of their audience speak/understand english, so why should they make content for french speakers only? Why should they limit their reach?

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Why, though? To exclude other forum members?

Or to include what we can called ''diversity''.  If a native french canadian want to be part of the linus experience, but does not speak english well enough, he just can't.  So the exclude thing goes both ways.  If our french technology have french problems, we just have to build a CONSEILS DE TECHNOLOGIES forum in french and don't bother the english speakers?

2 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

I'd say that the majority of their audience speak/understand english, so why should they make content for french speakers only? Why should they limit their reach?

Don't French-Canadians speak English anyways? 

Going off the OP: "this text is written by a french-canadian", but it's written in English so obvs you can understand it. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Going off the OP: "this text is written by a french-canadian", but it's written in English so obvs you can understand it. 

Yes some french-canadian speaks english and some english-canadian speaks french since it's required to learn it in school.  But not everybody can, so I just thought an inclusive bilingual website for an inclusive Canada might be a good thing.

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

But it's written in a french accent.. /s

Yes some french-canadian speaks english and some english-canadian speaks french since it's required to learn it in school.  But not everybody can, so I just thought an inclusive bilingual website for an inclusive Canada might be a good thing.

LTT don't just post videos for Canadians.

Making French only content would be excluding everyone else in their audience. So much for wanting to be inclusive..

Or to include what we can called ''diversity''.  If a native french canadian want to be part of the linus experience, but does not speak english well enough, he just can't.

I'm all for diversity, but it makes bad business sense to discriminate against the massive majority of your audience (people who speak English and possibly another language that's not French), to cater to a very small majority (people who can't understand English at all and only speak and understand French fluently). Wouldn't that make it less diverse since you're excluding a lot more people than you include? 

4 minutes ago, jeanchri said:

If our french technology have french problems, we just have to build a CONSEILS DE TECHNOLOGIES forum in french and don't bother the english speakers?

The French language doesn't magically make tech different vs someone who speaks English. It's the same tech, lol. 

Point being it won't be inclusive. I don't feel very included in the dutch thread, since I can't speak a lick of it. If I spoke at least some Dutch, I could feel a little bit included. If the forum allowed other languages everywhere, anyone who can't speak those at all will feel excluded. For the majority of the forum, that's any language that's not English. For others it'll depend, they may know English and French or they may know English and Japanese and thus be excluded as well. Whereas the majority of people who aren't native English speakers will still have at least a basic understanding of it (it's a very common language), meaning they can be included. 

I get that it caters to a lot of US/UK and many Canadians who are native English speakers, but that's because they're the majority. You cannot exclude the vast majority of people just to include a few. 

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

LTT don't just post videos for Canadians.

Making French only content would be excluding everyone else in their audience. So much for wanting to be inclusive..

^^^ Exactly. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Isn't there a tool/plugin to auto translate the forums, and hopefully translate comments made through phpBB?

I'd rather not see this same topic pop up for each of the 70+ different aboriginal languages in Canada one after the other.

4 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Isn't there a tool/plugin to auto translate the forums, and hopefully translate comments made through phpBB?

I'd rather not see this same topic pop up for each of the 70+ different aboriginal languages in Canada one after the other.

Google Chrome can pretty roughly translate most pages IIRC. 

Main PC 

If you really want a french division of LTT try translating some of the videos yourself, if their high quality, people will start to listen.

1 hour ago, jeanchri said:

Maybe it's time to get new peeps coming to your channel, like french Canadians.  Like, 9 000 000 people.

LMG can look at the viewership statistics in Youtube which will show how many viewers are in Canada. Despite being in Canada themselves, I imagine that figure would be low compared to other regions. French-Canadians who can't speak English would be even lower, almost none statistically speaking.

Trying to appease 9 million or so French-Canadians (most of whom can probably speak English fluently anyway and wouldn't have any language barriers to LTT content or the forums) would be a drop in the ocean compared to if they targeted over a billion Indians.

My question is what makes French-Canadians so different from regular Canadians that LTT content doesn't appeal to them? What would LTT need to change to appeal to French-Canadians?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

They already subtitle their videos in Chinese, subtitling in French isn't that much of a stretch... but is there even an audience for that? 

🙂

As a French Canadian, I am so sorry for OP's entitlement, I promise we aren't all like that.

We start learning English from the lower levels of primary school, there's literally no reason for anyone above the age of 12 in Quebec to be unable to understand the English language, other than sheer stupidity, in which case you'd be unlikely to even understand what Linus is talking about in his videos in the first place.

The tech world as a whole is primarily in English, if you're interested in Tech, you'd better learn English.

Like @Spotty said, if LMG was smart, they'd sooner target the 1.3 billion of Indians over the few of us who cannot understand English in French Canada.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

As a French Canadian, I am so sorry for OP's entitlement, I promise we aren't all like that.

Don't be.