Best Low Profile GTX 1650 for HP Elite 8300 SFF i7-3770?

MrWalt

Hi first post - be gentle please!

I’m awaiting delivery of a HP Elite 8300 i7-3770 8GB. I’d like to put the best matched graphics card in that I can. 

I believe that will be a low profile GTX 1650 but I’m struggling to find any reviews specific to the low profile versions that are available.

Does anyone know if, in my machine, I will see much improvement over a 1050Ti? Is there any difference between the Zotac, Asus and MSI cards?

Cheers

It's not a huge margin, but could still make the difference between playable and unplayable. I'd get a 1650 only in case you can sell the 1050ti. I don't think there's any difference between the three models

19 minutes ago, MrWalt said:

I believe that will be a low profile GTX 1650 but I’m struggling to find any reviews specific to the low profile versions that are available.

That's because there's no real difference in performance. It's going to perform the same as a stock GTX 1650.  There's also generally no difference between brands, except with the cooling solution. That's a non-issue on something low power like a 1650.

A PCIe riser cable may let you install a normal sized GPU in there, but I'm not sure. It depends on how roomy the case is.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Thanks for responses so far.

I appreciate the performance will be pretty much the same as full size but I've seen a couple of comments stating the Zotac LP is too noisy and at the moment that's the cheapest of the three by 20%.

I think I prefer the LP over using an extender just to keep things straight forward

50 minutes ago, MrWalt said:

Thanks for responses so far.

You need to quote or tag people for them to be notified of your response.

51 minutes ago, MrWalt said:

I appreciate the performance will be pretty much the same as full size but I've seen a couple of comments stating the Zotac LP is too noisy and at the moment that's the cheapest of the three by 20%.

Almost all low profile cards are noisy. They have smaller fans, which have to spin faster to compensate.

58 minutes ago, MrWalt said:

I think I prefer the LP over using an extender just to keep things straight forward

Low profile is obviously the more convenient solution, getting a 1650 isn't really a good deal either. Its price to performance ratio is incredibly low. You'd get similar performance just by overclocking your 1050 Ti by about 50MHz.

No real upgrade for your graphics card exists without either getting a new case or getting a PCIe riser.

Here's a comparison of the 1050 Ti and RX 570: https://www.techspot.com/review/1777-geforce-1050ti-vs-radeon-570/

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

You need to quote or tag people for them to be notified of your response.

Almost all low profile cards are noisy. They have smaller fans, which have to spin faster to compensate.

Low profile is obviously the more convenient solution, getting a 1650 isn't really a good deal either. Its price to performance ratio is incredibly low. You'd get similar performance just by overclocking your 1050 Ti by about 50MHz.

No real upgrade for your graphics card exists without either getting a new case or getting a PCIe riser.

Here's a comparison of the 1050 Ti and RX 570: https://www.techspot.com/review/1777-geforce-1050ti-vs-radeon-570/

Sorry - I should have been clearer - I don't have any graphics card yet - I can get a Zotac 1650 for not much more than a 1050 Ti which was the previous best performing low profile card.

I don't think overclocking a 1050 Ti is an option given my PSU 

I do appreciate there are mods I could make but I'm really just looking at a very straightforward turnkey solution with minimal tinkering : )

If you don't have a graphics card then, definitely get the 1650. The 1050 ti is pure garbage, while the 1650 is less garbage. No reason at all to buy a 1050 ti

40 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

If you don't have a graphics card then, definitely get the 1650. The 1050 ti is pure garbage, while the 1650 is less garbage. No reason at all to buy a 1050 ti

One man's garbage is another's upcycling project - thank you!

1 hour ago, MrWalt said:

One man's garbage is another's upcycling project - thank you!

I mean, for how much garbage they can be - they're the only option for these types of systems, since the much better rx 570 requires a pcie power connector. The 1650 isn't bad by itself, it's not great value though. Will still work nicely

2 hours ago, Epimetheus said:

I mean, for how much garbage they can be - they're the only option for these types of systems, since the much better rx 570 requires a pcie power connector. The 1650 isn't bad by itself, it's not great value though. Will still work nicely

Indeed, it might not be great value on its own but considering I only paid £100 for the PC, on the whole, the complete system's not a bad deal!

12 minutes ago, MrWalt said:

Indeed, it might not be great value on its own but considering I only paid £100 for the PC, on the whole, the complete system's not a bad deal!

agreed, that's an insane deal

14 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

agreed, that's an insane deal

Let's hope it arrives as advertised!

5 hours ago, MrWalt said:

Sorry - I should have been clearer - I don't have any graphics card yet - I can get a Zotac 1650 for not much more than a 1050 Ti which was the previous best performing low profile card.

I don't think overclocking a 1050 Ti is an option given my PSU 

I do appreciate there are mods I could make but I'm really just looking at a very straightforward turnkey solution with minimal tinkering : )

If you don't have a graphics card, then check for a used 1050 Ti on places like Facebook Marketplace. Graphics cards are one of the safest things to buy used. You also should hold out for awhile if possible, as a 1650 Ti is supposedly being released in October.

5 hours ago, Epimetheus said:

This is an idiotic post. The 1050 Ti is by no means garbage.

23 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

If you don't have a graphics card, then check for a used 1050 Ti on places like Facebook Marketplace. Graphics cards are one of the safest things to buy used. You also should hold out for awhile if possible, as a 1650 Ti is supposedly being released in October.

This is an idiotic post. The 1050 Ti is by no means garbage.

well no, it is by all means. In most countries it costs 40 dollars more than a 570 while not coming even close. The only thing it's good at is with pcs with crappy power supplies, and even then Nvidia didn't even drop the price when they launched the 1650. Also, if a 1650 ti comes around it's probably just going to be a more expensive 1060 3gb, and for sure not a gpu that can run without a power connector since already the 1650 can't run to its fullest without it

21 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

gpu that can run without a power connector since already the 1650 can't run to its fullest without it

The 75watt GTX1650 doesn't run at its fullest how?

It hits boost, past the advertised all day...

Overclocked 75w examples exist too...

Reviews.. some games...respected reviewers show it also comes close to the results of a RX570 in select titles. I'm not saying it's a GPU for me but...Where did you get your info?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

3 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Source or ....How'd you get your info?

I may not remember correctly, but a lot of the day one reviews pointed out that a lot of models required the power connector and the non ones didn't boost fully. They might have fixed that with a patch, or i just remembered wrong

17 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

I may not remember correctly, but a lot of the day one reviews pointed out that a lot of models required the power connector and the non ones didn't boost fully. They might have fixed that with a patch, or i just remembered wrong

I clocked a 75w GTX1650 for a customer and it came stock at 1900-1950ish MHZ, but wavered 1860-1950Mhz under Loads

OC +75Core /+700 Vram

Holds 2010-2025Mhz for about 95% of the time, can drop to 1900Mhz-2010Mhz is expected. And best bit at least. 59*c OC.

Not a great priced GPU for sure.

It must have been sorted by Nvidia before I got It if that's the case.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I clocked a 75w GTX1650 for a customer and it came stock at 1900-1950ish MHZ, but wavered 1860-1950Mhz under Loads

OC +75Core /+700 Vram

Holds 2010-2025Mhz for about 95% of the time, can drop to 1950Mhz-2010Mhz is expected. And best bit at least. 59*c OC.

Not a great priced GPU for sure.

It must have been sorted by Nvidia before I got It if that's the case.

I found the video. What i was using as a reference was the Hardware Unboxed review of the 1650, at around 10:40. It didn't say It didn't boost correctly but that they were clocked much lower, and the reviews weren't already so great with the parts with the Power connector (still better than the 1050 ti though). So i don't think it's so unresonable ti expect the 1650 ti to run with a Power connector needed

1 hour ago, Epimetheus said:

well no, it is by all means. In most countries it costs 40 dollars more than a 570 while not coming even close. The only thing it's good at is with pcs with crappy power supplies, and even then Nvidia didn't even drop the price when they launched the 1650. Also, if a 1650 ti comes around it's probably just going to be a more expensive 1060 3gb, and for sure not a gpu that can run without a power connector since already the 1650 can't run to its fullest without it

If you want to argue that it's a bad value, that's fair. But the 1650 is an equally bad value. That's why I recommended looking for a used 1050 Ti, as it should be easier to find over a used 1650.

I'm not telling him to wait to buy a 1650 Ti, I'm saying wait till October because if it's real then it might mean a price drop for the 1650.

1 hour ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Reviews.. some games...respected reviewers show it also comes close to the results of a RX570 in select titles. I'm not saying it's a GPU for me but...Where did you get your info?

It likely won't be able to attain the overclock of a full sized GPU. But speaking of power supplies, do you know if yours will have a 6 pin PCIe power connector? I looked up the model and it's 350W so it should be sufficient, it's just a matter of compatibility.

1 hour ago, Epimetheus said:

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

If you want to argue that it's a bad value, that's fair. But the 1650 is an equally bad value. That's why I recommended looking for a used 1050 Ti, as it should be easier to find over a used 1650.

I'm not telling him to wait to buy a 1650 Ti, I'm saying wait till October because if it's real then it might mean a price drop for the 1650.

It likely won't be able to attain the overclock of a full sized GPU. But speaking of power supplies, do you know if yours will have a 6 pin PCIe power connector? I looked up the model and it's 350W so it should be sufficient, it's just a matter of compatibility.

Factoring that a 1050 ti costs like 4 dollars per frame, a good price for a used 1050 ti would be around 80 or 90 more or less. For that it's not so bad, but normally it's double the price. The 1650 is 2,54 (but i guess cards without Power connector a perform a little worse), so it's a more sensible choice to buy at retail prices

10 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Eh... people want a lot of money for low profile 1050 Tis, new or used from what I've seen. 

dials up @flibberdipper because IIRC he runs a low profile 1050 Ti in one of those Dell anti-thiccboyes

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Eh... people want a lot of money for low profile 1050 Tis, new or used from what I've seen. 

dials up @flibberdipper because IIRC he runs a low profile 1050 Ti in one of those Dell anti-thiccboyes

Can confirm, low-pro 1050Ti's have always been stupidly inflated in price. Mine was $165 US Rubles or so in December of last year, and being a fairly niche card I can't imagine the used market for them is very hospitable.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, flibberdipper said:

Can confirm, low-pro 1050Ti's have always been stupidly inflated in price. Mine was $165 US Rubles or so in December of last year, and being a fairly niche card I can't imagine the used market for them is very hospitable.

Low profile Vega 64 when ?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch