Spilled Powerade On My Custom PC Tower...

Hi guys,

So a catastrophe happened to me as you can tell by the title. Being a broke college student I am trying everything possible to save my components, but my dumbass and my roommate were fiddling around with the ethernet in our room to get better internet speeds and in the process I had a 12 oz. cup of Powerade sitting on a desk directly next to my PC Tower which was on the floor and powered on. My roommate accidentally bumped it and it spilled right into the top fans of my computer case, flinging the liquid droplets everywhere (thankfully there was a mesh filter on top of the case restricting some of the liquid). I heard water spilling and I looked up just to see about half of the Powerade sitting on top of my PC. I immediately lost video (black screen as if the PC was shutting down) and the PC shut itself off. About 1-2 seconds later it turned back on in which I immediately shut off the PC via the power button and unplugged everything. When I opened the case and took some of the components I could out, I noticed a series of droplets on almost all the components, but no puddles. I am extremely distraught as the GPU was an RTX 2080 XC Ultra from EVGA which was the gem of my build. I would like some input on if the GPU is salvageable? If I have to buy another one, so be it. Since the incident, I disassembled the GPU and found no signs of a short or corrosion and gave it a clean with 91% isopropyl alcohol (same for the rest of my components). Please don’t be rude I already know I’m an idiot for this, advice is all I really need right now in terms of what else to do. All the components are cleaned and taken apart sitting on my desk at home just waiting to be tested. 

Specs are as follows:

Asus Z97-A Motherboard

Intel Core i7 4790K

EVGA XC Ultra Nvidia RTX 2080

PNY RAM 16GB

Corsair RM850 PSU

2 TB Seagate FireCuda Hybrid SSD

1 TB Seagate Hard Drive

256 GB MX500 SSD

itll be fine.

just make sure everything is completely dry, then clean it with isopropyl.

the big concern is gonna be the sugar from the powerade, but once its dry and CLEAN, you'll be fine

source: ive spilled Rockstar into my computer

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Thank you for this bro. Makes me feel A LOT better. Not gonna lie I’ve been in a depression all week from this lol

30 minutes ago, HRZN ViPER said:

Hi guys,

So a catastrophe happened to me as you can tell by the title. Being a broke college student I am trying everything possible to save my components, but my dumbass and my roommate were fiddling around with the ethernet in our room to get better internet speeds and in the process I had a 12 oz. cup of Powerade sitting on a desk directly next to my PC Tower which was on the floor and powered on. My roommate accidentally bumped it and it spilled right into the top fans of my computer case, flinging the liquid droplets everywhere (thankfully there was a mesh filter on top of the case restricting some of the liquid). I heard water spilling and I looked up just to see about half of the Powerade sitting on top of my PC. I immediately lost video (black screen as if the PC was shutting down) and the PC shut itself off. About 1-2 seconds later it turned back on in which I immediately shut off the PC via the power button and unplugged everything. When I opened the case and took some of the components I could out, I noticed a series of droplets on almost all the components, but no puddles. I am extremely distraught as the GPU was an RTX 2080 XC Ultra from EVGA which was the gem of my build. I would like some input on if the GPU is salvageable? If I have to buy another one, so be it. Since the incident, I disassembled the GPU and found no signs of a short or corrosion and gave it a clean with 91% isopropyl alcohol (same for the rest of my components). Please don’t be rude I already know I’m an idiot for this, advice is all I really need right now in terms of what else to do. All the components are cleaned and taken apart sitting on my desk at home just waiting to be tested. 

Specs are as follows:

Asus Z97-A Motherboard

Intel Core i7 4790K

EVGA XC Ultra Nvidia RTX 2080

PNY RAM 16GB

Corsair RM850 PSU

2 TB Seagate FireCuda Hybrid SSD

1 TB Seagate Hard Drive

256 GB MX500 SSD

dry EVERYTHING, if in doubt, soak it all in isopropyl alcohol. let it all sit for a few days at least, especially the psu

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

6 hours ago, TrigrH said:

if anything is fucked its the motherboard. maybe the PSU.

See it was very strange what happened. I don’t think the PSU is fucked since it kicked back on after being exposed to the liquid. I will keep everyone updated once I get the chance to put everything back together

Update on the PC: 

I let everything dry for a full week along with some cleaning with rubbing alcohol on some parts I missed. Hooked everything back up and now everything is running fine! Surprised at how resilient this thing is!