Vivaldi Browser Coming to Android

jiyeon

Source: The Verge

An Android version of the Vivaldi browser is releasing in Beta on the Google Play Store.

Vivaldi, a web browser from a group of developers that formerly worked on Opera, is one to consider if you really want to customize your browsing experience. Now, Vivaldi is bringing that power-user spirit to mobile with a new Android version, available today in beta.

I've never used Vivaldi before, but would be up for trying it (even though it's in beta) as my go-to browser on Android has always just been Google Chrome as it's reliable and can sync with my Google account by default.

Vivaldi does offer compelling features such as speed dials, synced bookmarks, saved autofill information, and other UX features which will be familliar to those who use Vivaldi on desktop.

vivaldi_ui_explained1.png

Vivaldi also says it will also let you sync bookmarks, Speed Dials, passwords, autofill information, and those notes I mentioned across your desktop and mobile sessions, and claims this data is protected with end-to-end encryption by default. By comparison, Firefox’s account sync also has default end-to-end encryption, but Google only offers the end-to-end flavor (meaning Google can’t see what you’re syncing back and forth) if you set an optional passphrase.

Like anything that gets a mobile version, the Android version of Vivaldi won't be the fully-fledged, feature-rich desktop Vivaldi, but one can hope that in the full release, it will be the powerhouse browser that Android power users have always dreamed of.

Vivaldi’s mobile browser beta doesn’t seem to offer everything that the desktop version does — desktop Vivaldi’s cool ability to stack tabs into one tab seems to be missing, for example. If you’ve been waiting for a Vivaldi-like experience on mobile, though, the company’s official Android release sounds like it’s worth checking out.

I wonder how many Android users would be up for giving Vivaldi for Android a go, there are a multitude of browsers on the Google Play Store to choose from, and Vivaldi adds to that list.

In its beta form, I think it will be a nice curious download rather than a daily mobile browser, but in the full release, it'll be cool to see how it improves from the beta and what kind of features get added, considering the Vivaldi browser seems to be marketed as a browser made for the power user.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

i'd be up for it, because chrome is getting bland

but is that THE VERGE i see

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

7 minutes ago, sowon said:

Source: The Verge

why doesn't this surprise me?

but yeah... chrome got me on phone, and nothing can get me off rn

5 minutes ago, Gegger said:

but is that THE VERGE i see

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

why doesn't this surprise me?

Yes, it is the Verge. Get over it, they made one controversial video, doesn't mean we shouldn't ignore them as a reliable outlet for news and as a media company.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Just now, sowon said:

Yes, it is the Verge. Get over it, they made one controversial video, doesn't mean we shouldn't ignore them as a reliable outlet for news and as a media company.

it was a joke lol

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

1 minute ago, sowon said:

it's a joke alright

don't take it too seriously

i just like to make the joke sometimes

ok but what is it going to be based on? is this just going to be chromium with some custom stuff too? or will it be like FF, its own thing?

personally im sticking with FF, i love having extensions on my phone even if FF is a little slower on android

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Firefox, it's mobile version is almost identical to it's desktop counterpart. Heck in even running ublock on it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

13 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Firefox, it's mobile version is almost identical to it's desktop counterpart. Heck in even running ublock on it.

Same here. I switch between Opera for VPN and Firefox for everything else. Firefox is just the best thanks to its support of extensions. Opera is much smoother than everything I've tried, but its built-in ad blocker is mediocre at best.

Eeeehhhh

I use the desktop version of Vivaldi for things like mouse gestures, side panels and what not... But I don't see what the android version could offer that would be superior to browsers like Firefox with extensions support.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Kiwi browser supports Chrome extensions so you can put Ublock origin/Nano adblock on it

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I use Vivaldi on the desktop ever since it was in Beta. I am looking forward to try it on Android.

I am using DuckDuckGo browser on my phone as of right now and occasionaly I use Brave as well.

As long as I can at least sync my tabs between my phone and desktop with the Vivaldi browser, it should be fine. If they also add some interesting features to the mobile version like they did on desktop, then that would be sweet!

29 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

There is already Brave browser with built in ad block and script blocking. I still use Adaway though.

The install page for Brave says it contains ads, this is slightly concerning :)

3 hours ago, sowon said:

*snip*

Finally! They have been saying it would come to android for a while now, I started using it years ago and have stuck with it ever since.

Edit: there is a beta apk out, I downloaded it and am quite disappointed, it's an alright mobile browser but the lack on chrome extension support and no custom theming makes it just alright. I hope when the full version comes out it has more features.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

How many people here use Vivaldi? Not many, really. I’ve been using it since mid-2015 but it’s never been all that popular.

Regardless, I look forward to it coming to Android.

I do! Seems like we get overlooked a lot. Started using it a 1 year & 1/2 ago. It's so superior to anything else I've tried. I have dark theme applied, with the panel on the right instead of the default left. So many things I love about it! The panel is awesome, the closed tabs trashcan thing is awesome(so many times i've accidently closed a tab without thinking and realized i wasn't done with it), being able to have different webpages in a grid for comparisons or data entry, nice F2 searching, well layed out settings screen, so much customizing, built in chromium, crossplatform, etc...

Edit: Also this was published using it :)

Vivaldi was sort of promising, if only their community wasn't so crap...

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Vivaldi was sort of promising, if only their community wasn't so crap...

Okay, i'l bite. Why is it crap? I don't really pay attention to it as I'm content with everything offered and have had no real issues. Maybe that's why? Not many people participating in the community actively? 

I suppose that's one problem out of many I had off the list... a bit weird seeing the panels on mobile 

🙂

if it doesn't bring extension suppport, i have no reason to move away from FF. Sync is not a good enough reason to make me move, if it was i'd be using FF on the desktop/laptop

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Orcblood said:

Okay, i'l bite. Why is it crap? I don't really pay attention to it as I'm content with everything offered and have had no real issues. Maybe that's why? Not many people participating in the community actively? 

They get offended over recommendations, are stuck up in their own right and refuse to accept any ideas and then mods and actual Vivaldi community manager can't seem to decide who's actually running the show. At least their community manager seems like a nice guy.

But it's yet another Chromium-based browser....

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Neat, it's a very nice web browser so great to see it on Android. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

18 hours ago, That Franc said:

Same here. I switch between Opera for VPN and Firefox for everything else. Firefox is just the best thanks to its support of extensions. Opera is much smoother than everything I've tried, but its built-in ad blocker is mediocre at best.

I would not recommend using the Opera browser if you want it for privacy or security reasons. It's owned by a Chinese company, and sending all your browser data to them might not be a great idea.

18 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Regardless, if you use a Chromium based browser, do this:

Why?