Thermaltake Level 20VT : Fans at the top possible?

Tiffanysinyee

Just happened to catch a few videos of this case, quite regrettably none can I find answers to my questions, isn't it frustrating sometimes that I find these "build" or "review" videos fail to focus on important concerns of viewers.

I note that the case's width is quite broad. And I can understand that a 240mm radiator can be fittted to the side, this part no problem.

Now as you can see, there are 4 rails (removable) on the top of the case, dividing the top into basically 2 partition or area. My BIGGEST question is : Viewing from the front, can I fit a 120 mm fan on the right side just above the GPU card?  If it is possible then this 120mm fan can very well be a good candidate to remove the hot air from the GPU card.  Any replies will be greatly appreciated! 

Here's all the possible fan mounting locations according to Thermaltake themselves. 

Thermaltake

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Here's all the possible fan mounting locations according to Thermaltake themselves. 

Thermaltake

Incredible, it looks like it's really completely modular as it claims.

Looks like everything can be stripped off to leave it as an open system?!

1 minute ago, Tiffanysinyee said:

Incredible, it looks like it's really completely modular as it claims.

Looks like everything can be stripped off to leave it as an open system?!

Yeah you could take all the side panels off and leave it open. Only reason I'd advise against it is if you live in a dusty environment or one with pets/kids.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Yeah you could take all the side panels off and leave it open. Only reason I'd advise against it is if you live in a dusty environment or one with pets/kids.

Point noted, I have no kids, and my room is rather clean, it's just that dusty could be a problem.

But then, my Bitfenix Prodigy also attracts dust when it is a closed system.

I must start regular cleaning when the new rig is built, has to make it a habit!

Thanks for  your help mate!

I have a wishful thought: if I mount a 240 radiator at the front; with the two fans behind the radiator (so the radiator is facing outside), will the original 200 mm have to be removed? If this stock fan can remain I'll revert its orientation to make it an exhaust. So the radiator fans do a push towards the radiator and the hot air in turn get pulled out from the 200 mm fan. That should make a best functional ventilator combo!

5 minutes ago, Tiffanysinyee said:

I have a wishful thought: if I mount a 240 radiator at the front; with the two fans behind the radiator (so the radiator is facing outside), will the original 200 mm have to be removed? If this stock fan can remain I'll revert its orientation to make it an exhaust. So the radiator fans do a push towards the radiator and the hot air in turn get pulled out from the 200 mm fan. That should make a best functional ventilator combo!

Technically it's possible to mount it in that configuration, but the radiator fans will be pushing air at a different rate than the 200mm fan, so at some poiint the fans will start fighting eachother because the rad fans are spinning at 1500 rpm but the 200mm fan is only spinning at 600 (it has less to do wit the rpm value and more about the air the fans push, especially through a radiator.(You can tell how much air a fan can push through a rad based on their cfm AND static pressure)

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Technically it's possible to mount it in that configuration, but the radiator fans will be pushing air at a different rate than the 200mm fan, so at some poiint the fans will start fighting eachother because the rad fans are spinning at 1500 rpm but the 200mm fan is only spinning at 600 (it has less to do wit the rpm value and more about the air the fans push, especially through a radiator.(You can tell how much air a fan can push through a rad based on their cfm AND static pressure)

Ah, thanks! I ve overlooked this one. Indeed, different speed is a "no-go". It would be good to know the max speed of the 200 mm fan...

7 minutes ago, Tiffanysinyee said:

Ah, thanks! I ve overlooked this one. Indeed, different speed is a "no-go". It would be good to know the max speed of the 200 mm fan...

Usually the RPM's are low (800rpm is the normal max) and while the CFM is high for that speed (over 100cfm), the static pressure is usually low (cant find a listed rating for it). 

https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-cl-f015-pl20bl-a-case-fan/p/N82E16835106224

200mm fans are great for straight airflow, but not for radiators.

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Usually the RPM's are low (800rpm is the normal max) and while the CFM is high for that speed (over 100cfm), the static pressure is usually low (cant find a listed rating for it). 

https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-cl-f015-pl20bl-a-case-fan/p/N82E16835106224

200mm fans are great for straight airflow, but not for radiators.

You're right, it got to be 800 rpm, common sense.

So unless the radiator's fan speed can be regulated, otherwise that can't be made possible.

1 minute ago, Tiffanysinyee said:

You're right, it got to be 800 rpm, common sense.

So unless the radiator's fan speed can be regulated, otherwise that can't be made possible.

Generally I'd recommend against regulating Radiator fans since you'd want them to increase when the liquid gets warmer to help dissipate more heat. 

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Generally I'd recommend against regulating Radiator fans since you'd want them to increase when the liquid gets warmer to help dissipate more heat. 

You're right.

In that case, I ll relocate the fan to the top right above the ROG STRIX RX 570 4B OC to cool it.

3 minutes ago, Tiffanysinyee said:

In that case, I ll relocate the fan to the top right above the ROG STRIX RX 570 4B OC to cool it.

The 200mm fan cant fit at the top :( 

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The 200mm fan cant fit at the top :( 

It can. You can use the 4 rails. Remove 3 of them, use the remaining one. There are markings on the sides which tell you where to space it from the side, there is one.  I checked with VT Tech Davy.

See this video:

This chap does produce great video for everything that he reviews in great details.

18 hours ago, Tiffanysinyee said:

It can. You can use the 4 rails. Remove 3 of them, use the remaining one. There are markings on the sides which tell you where to space it from the side, there is one.  I checked with VT Tech Davy.

See this video:

This chap does produce great video for everything that he reviews in great details.

-snip-

Interesting. I wonder why Thermaltake doesnt mention that at all in their literature. They're usually pretty good about that kinda stuff.

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Interesting. I wonder why Thermaltake doesnt mention that at all in their literature. They're usually pretty good about that kinda stuff.

Both Corsair and Thermaltake are very brief in their videos. AV Techy is very detail in their reviews, quite thorough.

But Level 20 VT has a shortcoming, it has only one side which facilitate ventilation. That could cause hot air trapped inside the case.

My high school physics reminds me that when cold air mixes with hot air, the resulting temperature of the mixed air will be the average of the higher and lower temperature. That's why 7 out of 10 cases in the last couple of years use the pull-in and push-out appraoch. In the absence of a mesh front panel Level 20 VT may not be as good. 

Just now, Tiffanysinyee said:

My high school physics reminds me that when cold air mixes with hot air, the resulting temperature of the mixed air will be the average of the higher and lower temperature. That's why 7 out of 10 cases in the last couple of years use the pull-in and push-out appraoch. In the absence of a mesh front panel Level 20 VT may not be as good. 

Gamers Nexus does really good side by side case reviews for that exact purpose (if you havent seen it already)

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Gamers Nexus does really good side by side case reviews for that exact purpose (if you havent seen it already)

I have. I have seen as many as I can actually.

It's very difficult to decide on a good and suitable case given a high temperature RX 570. My current Intel 3570K is ok. But after upgrading it to AMD, I am worry about the future system. So I cannot decide whether I should go for AMD or Intel now.

Does anyone has real experience or shall I say, actual user of the Thermaltake Level 20 VT?

I like to know how many of you use the top to vent air rather than on the side? 

*** Threads merged ***

Please don't post multiple times about same subject.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 4 years later...
On 9/9/2019 at 10:11 AM, Tiffanysinyee said:

Point noted, I have no kids, and my room is rather clean, it's just that dusty could be a problem.

But then, my Bitfenix Prodigy also attracts dust when it is a closed system.

I must start regular cleaning when the new rig is built, has to make it a habit!

Thanks for  your help mate!

What I found was best - IF you have a need for at least two PCs in your life - is to buy both a Thermaltake Level 20VT and a Thermaltake Core V21 and then mix and match the sides. (The panels from each one will fit on the other.) In particular, it's good to give one of the vented screen sides from the Core V21 to the 20VT, ideally the side next to the GPU. In fact, what I did with my pair was to take the cheap plastic window side fitting from the V21, lever up the metal clips, remove the plastic screen and put a large magnetic dust filter over it. (I used this one: MoKo 400x300mm DIY PC Case Dust Mesh Filter, [2 Pack] PVC Dustproof Magnetic Dust Filter Cover, PC Mesh Grill with Magnetic Frame Strip Computer Cooler Fan Dust Filter for Computer PC Case, Black : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Then take one of the (nice, glass) window sides from the 20VT and give it to the Core V21.

This way you end up with each machine having:
One nice glass side panel
One vented top panel
One vented side panel

Admittedly one of these vented panels is going to have not-perfect aesthetics and have no load-bearing (or bump-resistant) capacity, but if one side of one of your PCs is facing away from you and close to a wall, for instance, no worries.

I found the case temps in my 20VT dropped considerably once it had a vented side panel on it replacing one of its glass panels.

First image: Core V21, with glass panel from 20VT seen transplanted onto near side.
Second image: 20VT, with doctored magnetic mesh vented panel (originally from Core V21) on the far side, next to the wall.
Third and fourth images: doctored magnetic mesh vented panel, seen from both sides.

CoreV21.jpg

20VT.jpg

Panel2.jpg

Panel1.jpg