Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CRA5HMAN

Helping a friend with a new gaming rig-CPU Question

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello ,

I am helping my friend choose parts for his new gaming rig and I suggested a Ryzen 2700. He will be gaming, listening to music and watching Youtube with it. We are in Canada and it on sale for $259 and I also suggested an MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard.   He will be gaming at 1080p and will be playing:

  • BF:V
  • PUBG
  • Dying Light 2 (when it's out).

Is this a sound choice?  Should I have suggested a new Ryzen 3600? Will the extra cores be worth it with the 2700? I also suggested a GTX 1660 ti over a Raedon 590 for the video card

 

Please let me know your thoughts,

Cheers


6700K @4.5|Maximus Hero VIII Z170|EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW 3 Ultra|Seasonic 760 Platinum|16 GB Kingston Hyper X Predator DDR4 2400|Phanteks Evolv ATX|Kraken X41|Acer X34

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CRA5HMAN said:

 

At $270 vs 370 CAD the RX 590 is the easy choice IMO, it's still perfectly fine for 1080p high settings or above gaming.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/6h66Mp/sapphire-radeon-rx-590-8-gb-pulse-video-card-11289-06-20g

And you probably want an R5 3600 with 3600mhz CL 17/18 RAM

What's the total budget for everything?

 


I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2700 is a bit overkill for gaming, listening to music and watching videos. None of the games you mentioned put a lot of pressure on the CPU, and the extra cores and threads of the Ryzen 7 would only make a difference in productivity scenarios. I'd get the Ryzen 5 chip. However, if the price of the 3600 is similar in Canada, and if your friend decides to use productivity-orientated tasks in the future, then the 2700 is a good choice. But only if.

 

The MSI B450 Tomahawk is a great choice for a good price. I've got one myself, and it's a damn great mobo.

 

As for the graphics card, the 1660Ti is more expensive than the Radeon choice as far as I know. The difference in performance is incremental, so I'd stick with the RX 590.


Moonstone -- MSI B450 Tomahawk Ryzen 5 3600 Gigabyte RTX 2060 G. OC Pro 6GB • 16GB HyperX Fury Black  Corsair CX550M • Aerocool Cylon

Peripherals: Dell P2719H 27'' @ 1080p + Acer VA270H 27'' @ 1080p • Redragon Mitra RGB Red Switch  Superlux HD681 • Logitech Driving Force GT Wheel

Rebound 95 -- PC Chips M519 Socket 7 AT Mobo • Pentium P54C 100Mhz • Cirrus Logic GD3454 1MB GPU • Creative L. Sound Blaster 16 CT2950 • 8MB of RAM

(Check my albums for pictures of the systems)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

At $270 vs 370 CAD the RX 590 is the easy choice IMO, it's still perfectly fine for 1080p high settings or above gaming.



What's the total budget for everything?

 

We would be getting the components at local retailer and they would also be building the machine.  I will look at their 590 offerings.

 

The budget for the entire rig is $1500 CAD.


6700K @4.5|Maximus Hero VIII Z170|EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW 3 Ultra|Seasonic 760 Platinum|16 GB Kingston Hyper X Predator DDR4 2400|Phanteks Evolv ATX|Kraken X41|Acer X34

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

.For 1080p gaming the 1660ti would be a better choice. Spring for a good model though, the 1660ti spawned some really nice coolers and theyre worth the extra cost, the evga triple slot one or the asus triple fan model are 10/10

Thanks for the info, we will definitely look at those models.


6700K @4.5|Maximus Hero VIII Z170|EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW 3 Ultra|Seasonic 760 Platinum|16 GB Kingston Hyper X Predator DDR4 2400|Phanteks Evolv ATX|Kraken X41|Acer X34

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CRA5HMAN said:

Hello ,

I am helping my friend choose parts for his new gaming rig and I suggested a Ryzen 2700. He will be gaming, listening to music and watching Youtube with it. We are in Canada and it on sale for $259 and I also suggested an MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard.   He will be gaming at 1080p and will be playing:

  • BF:V
  • PUBG
  • Dying Light 2 (when it's out).

Is this a sound choice?  Should I have suggested a new Ryzen 3600? Will the extra cores be worth it with the 2700? I also suggested a GTX 1660 ti over a Raedon 590 for the video card

 

Please let me know your thoughts,

Cheers

agreed with the others. r5 3600 for better gaming perf, pair is with 3600mhz ram, stick with the rx590, or even see if you can stretch to the 5700. if you can, do


My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
17 minutes ago, Bloody-George said:

The 2700 is a bit overkill for gaming, listening to music and watching videos. None of the games you mentioned put a lot of pressure on the CPU, and the extra cores and threads of the Ryzen 7 would only make a difference in productivity scenarios. I'd get the Ryzen 5 chip. However, if the price of the 3600 is similar in Canada, and if your friend decides to use productivity-orientated tasks in the future, then the 2700 is a good choice. But only if.

 

The 2700 is $20 cheaper then the 3600.  With that in mind is the 2700 a good buy?

 


6700K @4.5|Maximus Hero VIII Z170|EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW 3 Ultra|Seasonic 760 Platinum|16 GB Kingston Hyper X Predator DDR4 2400|Phanteks Evolv ATX|Kraken X41|Acer X34

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CRA5HMAN said:

The 2700 is $20 cheaper then the 3600.  With that in mind is the 2700 a good buy?

 

for purely gaming I would still say 3600


My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CRA5HMAN said:

The 2700 is $20 cheaper then the 3600.  With that in mind is the 2700 a good buy?

 

You can easily get an RX 5700 for that budget. Aftermarket cards are as much as an RX 5700 XT though...

The 3600 with fast RAM is the easy choice for gaming.
 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/nqbryX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($264.89 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($104.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($86.51 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Video Card  ($439.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Case: Rosewill NAUTILUS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($85.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1131.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-09 01:38 EDT-0400


I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You can easily get an RX 5700 for that budget. Aftermarket cards are as much as an RX 5700 XT though...

The 3600 with fast RAM is the easy choice for gaming.
 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/nqbryX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($264.89 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($104.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($86.51 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Video Card  ($439.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Case: Rosewill NAUTILUS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($85.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1131.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-09 01:38 EDT-0400

Thanks for putting this together.  We have to get the components from one place and purchase it in store.  There is a reason for that but we will leave it at that.


6700K @4.5|Maximus Hero VIII Z170|EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW 3 Ultra|Seasonic 760 Platinum|16 GB Kingston Hyper X Predator DDR4 2400|Phanteks Evolv ATX|Kraken X41|Acer X34

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CRA5HMAN said:

Thanks for putting this together.  We have to get the components from one place and purchase it in store.  There is a reason for that but we will leave it at that.

Just have them do price matching.


I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks for all the input!  I will definitely suggest the 3600 and we will see the price/ availability of the video cards.


6700K @4.5|Maximus Hero VIII Z170|EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW 3 Ultra|Seasonic 760 Platinum|16 GB Kingston Hyper X Predator DDR4 2400|Phanteks Evolv ATX|Kraken X41|Acer X34

 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×