4k monitor question!

grillechese

hey all,

I feel like this is a dumb question, but does a 4k monitor that IS NOT USE FOR GAMING, affect GPU or CPU performance by just using it?

i'm only using this for eye candy, youtube, netflix, and productivity.\

I got a Dell 4k s2817q for free and was wondering if it would at all.

Technically yes, but I'd be shocked if it was by any measurable amount.  The better picture and productivity benefits should far outweigh it.

Obviously your GPU will work harder decoding 4K video than 1080p video, but it should be done in dedicated hardware so not have any real impact on anything else.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

5 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Honestly can you see the diff of 1080p vs 4K?

and how much 4K content do you play?

At the distance you operate a PC, the difference is much more obvious than watching a TV.  There is also the fact Netflix will stream at a higher bitrate, inherently making it a better picture on supported content.

I spend a lot of time browsing photos online and again the difference is immense.

Then there is the productivity, as I write HTML being able to have a live website, test website and code all on the same screen at the same time makes a massive difference.  Even file management is so much easier.

They literally got it for free, would be insane to not use it.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Technically yes, but I'd be shocked if it was by any measurable amount.  The better picture and productivity benefits should far outweigh it.

Obviously your GPU will work harder decoding 4K video than 1080p video, but it should be done in dedicated hardware so not have any real impact on anything else.

i've seen in afterburner that it runs more than expected i think at one time it was running at 1860mhz?

but these are my specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

Cooler: NZXT X62

MOBO: Asus B350-F Gaming

RAM: 16 GB G skill trident z RBG DDR4-3000 

GPU: MSI 1070ti Titanium 8GB 

PSU: EVGA 550W 80+ Gold

5 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Honestly can you see the diff of 1080p vs 4K?

and how much 4K content do you play?

i can see a difference from where i'm sitting

and it just depends on the day 

Just now, grillechese said:

i've seen in afterburner that it runs more than expected i think at one time it was running at 1860mhz?

but these are my specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

Cooler: NZXT X62

MOBO: Asus B350-F Gaming

RAM: 16 GB G skill trident z RBG DDR4-3000 

GPU: MSI 1070ti Titanium 8GB 

PSU: EVGA 550W 80+ Gold

What were you doing exactly?

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

What were you doing exactly?

i was just watching a 4k video on youtube. 

I did have wallpaper engine running in the background but when looking on the usage of wallpaper engine it wasn't much

I'm not really sure how it works, but its certainly not going to be pulling your full GPUs power consumption if that's what you are worried about.  The video engine should be decoding the video, the majority of the GPU will be idle even if it IS clocked higher.  The temperature and fan speed should reflect that.

If for some reason its not using GPU decoding (again not sure how the DRM aspect works there) then the GPU will be doing even less, it should be the CPU taking the load.

Heck, I use Linux where the majority of software lacks GPU acceleration at all and its not something I ever worry about.

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'm not really sure how it works, but its certainly not going to be pulling your full GPUs power consumption if that's what you are worried about.  The video engine should be decoding the video, the majority of the GPU will be idle even if it IS clocked higher.  The temperature and fan speed should reflect that.

i wasn't really worried about alot of power being drawn. It was more temp than i was worried about.