Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Valked_

How do I switch my Windows to SSD

Posted · Original PosterOP

Last year I bought an SSD and I don't really know how to put my windows from my HDD to my SSD while still having all my applications/games from my HDD, so it's been sitting in my PC unplugged for months now. I finally decided to try to switch it with guides off YouTube but they haven't really worked, it would just boot me into my HDD like normal. I tried getting applications from these guides that switched my Windows but they haven't worked either. If anyone could guide me through it or find a decent in depth video for me, I'd appreciate it a lot., Thanks. If it helps at all, here are my specs:

AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor

ASRock AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

SanDisk SSD PLUS 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card

Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

There's really no way to separate your operating system from your drive by itself and leave the programs. The best way to do it is reinstall Windows and all your programs. It's a pain but it's all you can do.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained

ninite.com will install like 1/2 of your programs for you, as for Steam you can just copy-paste the files over from the common directory and it'll discover them when you go to install the game

Remember to quote me so I see your reply
My rig:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 @ 4.0Ghz (4.2Ghz all core OC, 4.6Ghz core 0+1 OC)

+Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO

MB: Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3L

RAM: 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Samsung "Magic Memory" running at 1866Mhz 

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 ti GAMING X 6G 6GB

CASE: Fractal DesignFocus G ATX Case w/ Window, White

PWR: Thermaltake SMART 600W

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms

Storage:

C : Raid0 480GB- Kingston V300 240GB + Kingston A400 240GB (Windows, Programs, Main Games)

D : Raid1 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM (Game overflow storage + Raid0 backup)

E : 1x Seagate Barracuda ES 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM (Movies + Music)

Cooling-

NZXT Sentry Mix 2

4x Rosewill RFA-120-K 74.5 CFM 120mm (front/top)

2x Cooler Master MasterLiquid Stock 120mm fans (front/back of AIO)

Input- 

KB: Logitech G15 1st Gen

M:Logitech G602 Wireless

CO: Steam Controller

H: Sennheiser HD 4.40

S. Logitech Z213

Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

There's really no way to separate your operating system from your drive by itself and leave the programs. The best way to do it is reinstall Windows and all your programs. It's a pain but it's all you can do.

So, I uninstall Windows and Reinstall it on my SSD, but what about my HDD? I want to have all my files on my HDD but my Windows on my SSD.

Just now, Valked_ said:

So, I uninstall Windows and Reinstall it on my SSD, but what about my HDD? I want to have all my files on my HDD but my Windows on my SSD.

Back up your files to an external drive or to the cloud and wipe the whole drive

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained

Okay, here's what you can do:

1. Clean Install Windows to your SSD. Means you delete all the partition in that SSD and create a new one in Windows installer. Unplug your HDD just to be safe.

2. See if the system boots to your SSD. If it did. Shut it down, plug in your HDD. Switch on.

3. Transfer your files (such as documents folder) to your SSD. You can transfer programs and apps from program files to your new SSD, but installing them from installers are better as you don't have to go through the hassle of configuring the programs.