Pc blackscreens

Der Unentschlossene
Go to solution Solved by Der Unentschlossene,

To update/End this here... its been a driver issue of my graphics card and it seems like i am not the only one with bluescreens or weird behaivior. Its a lot better since i disabled hardware acceleration in chrome and now i am waiting for a fix.

Hi,

specs:
graphic: 8GB Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse
drive: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 (and some others but that shouldn't matter)
cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
mb: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
ram: 2x16GB G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DDR4-3200 Dual Kit (4 in total)

cpu-fan: Enermax Liqmax II 240 

so i have basicly multiple issues:

1. it randomly blackscreens and goes in a kind of crashed state where its still on but doesn't respond or does anything but i am very certain it kills windows and its not just visually dead

2. it takes way to long to boot sometimes especially after a "blackscreen"

3. i can't get into the bios anymore because its "fast booting" (i tried hammering del for 20seconds until windows bootet and it didn't trigger the bios)

And the crashes happend a few times in games like forza horizon 4 or forza motorsport 7 or when clicking on a freaking youtube video. My guess would be that the MB has some kind of problem but i am totally unsure how to debug the error.

greetings

Pop one of those ram sticks out and run it with a single 8gb stick , try each stick alone in the machine

usually random hard lockups (especially when you aren't doing anything intensive like youtube) i can pretty much always trace back to a ram issue

1 minute ago, emosun said:

Pop one of those ram sticks out and run it with a single 8gb stick , try each stick alone in the machine

so you think the ram causes the issue?

the issue is its random sometimes it takes a few hours to crash and sometimes just 20minutes or so. Any idea how to provoke the issue?

Just now, Der Unentschlossene said:

so you think the ram causes the issue?

Yeah , a ram issue

Either the ram itself is bad , or the way the board accesses it is having problems. This is basically a totally free and easy thing to test to run single sticks of ram to determine if it has ANYTHING to do with ram.

1 minute ago, Der Unentschlossene said:

the issue is its random sometimes it takes a few hours to crash and sometimes just 20minutes or so. Any idea how to provoke the issue?

if you can completely load all the ram , that could provoke it.

more than likely it acesses whatever area has issue at random times , or the ram requests at random times something from the board that the board is having issues with. If you fully load the ram and unload and load and unload you might be able to crash it on command

if you can completely load all the ram , that could provoke it.

more than likely it acesses whatever area has issue at random times , or the ram requests at random times something from the board that the board is having issues with. If you fully load the ram and unload and load and unload you might be able to crash it on command

is there a nice software programm that can do that?

2 minutes ago, Der Unentschlossene said:

is there a nice software programm that can do that?

not too sure

the way i'd do it is just load a big 4k video project in premiere and run it live till the ram was full of preview footage.

I suppose you could just start a whole bunch of games and leave them in the title screens so the cpu low is load but the ram usage is high

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

not too sure

the way i'd do it is just load a big 4k video project in premiere and run it live till the ram was full of preview footage.

I suppose you could just start a whole bunch of games and leave them in the title screens so the cpu low is load but the ram usage is high

i will try minecraft then

test the RAM.  windows has a built in diag program.  type memory into the search. run it. rule out the memory first.  Then, you can start testing the config with different games.... Unless you test the RAM, you're shooting in the dark.

Just now, F___M said:

test the RAM.  windows has a built in diag program.  type memory into the search. run it. rule out the memory first.  Then, you can start testing the config with different games.... Unless you test the RAM, you're shooting in the dark.

yeah but bad stick pass memtest all day , plus memtest isn't actually test the motherboard in a random fashion the same way a real sustained workload does.

I usually say don't bother with memtest , but i got lazy this time and didnt mention it right away

Never, EVER have I seen a memory test pass a faulty ram stick. EVER.  And, If you are ever going to solve an issue, you start with the MOST BASIC THINGS>

And I didn't ever say MEMTEST. windows has one built in. quick and efficient.

Unbenannt.png.ee3581ad9127c6aa9e3b8968a0de5a64.png

I doubt its a ram issue somehow.... its been running for a few minutes now and doesn't seem to have any issues

9 minutes ago, F___M said:

Never, EVER have I seen a memory test pass a faulty ram stick.

never ever have i seen a memory test use the computer as it would normally be used over a period of hours playing videos games and watching youtube.

12 minutes ago, Der Unentschlossene said:

I doubt its a ram issue somehow.... its been running for a few minutes now and doesn't seem to have any issues

30 minutes ago, emosun said:

that could provoke it.

again , i recommended just using the machine with a single stick , use it for a few days with a single stick and see if it crashes. not just a few minute test.

again , i recommended just using the machine with a single stick , use it for a few days with a single stick and see if it crashes. not just a few minute test.

but 8gb of ram is a bit to little for me...I will try it with 2 at a time and i am currently running the windows memory test and see if that brings any results. And could the ram also be the issue for the weird long boot time? Because the pre boot menu screen stuff takes 5-10 seconds and sometimes longer after a crash oh and i forgot to mention i also had 2 bluescreens and like 5+ blackscreens and is just a day old.

when you rule out a memory issue, then you move on to verifying the windows system files for integrity using SFC /scannow in an admin command or powershell.

1 hour ago, F___M said:

when you rule out a memory issue, then you move on to verifying the windows system files for integrity using SFC /scannow in an admin command or powershell.

ok memory test did nothing no errors or anything. I also did the sfc/scannow thing and it said there were some damaged files and there were successfully repaired. I will see if that fixed some stuff. But do you guys think this could also cause the long boottime issue? I kinda suspect that to be connected to the crashes. 

ic. got lucky on that one. usually, it takes a DISM to fix the files and another run of sfc.  If you have messed at all in bios, set it back to defaults and see if the boot times improve.

I didn't have any problem for a few hours now like 4-5 hours no problem and no blackscreen or anything but i just got a bluescreen saying IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. btw it was again while clicking on a video it...how can that be an issue.

So i have tested the 2 ram kits individually and I had a bluescreen with both but different bluescreens one was the irql_not_less_or_equal and one was Page Fault In Nonpaged Area. 

To update/End this here... its been a driver issue of my graphics card and it seems like i am not the only one with bluescreens or weird behaivior. Its a lot better since i disabled hardware acceleration in chrome and now i am waiting for a fix.