Is it safe to unplug a hard drive while the pc is on?

yash sharma

I was just wondering if my PC was running, and i unplug the data cable going to my hard drive, will it do damage? My PC kept crashing and I think it might be the hard drive. The light turns off and when i force shut it down, it doesn't make a noise like it usually does. If it's safe to unplug it, then I'll try it.

it would be better to start a thread about the crashing and let people figure out why the machine is crashing instead.

as for the hdd question so long as it's usb its hot plugable. i know sata is supposed to be hot plugable but i get mixed results

5 minutes ago, yash sharma said:

I was just wondering if my PC was running, and i unplug the data cable going to my hard drive, will it do damage?

Yes. How to kill you hard drive 101.

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

it would be better to start a thread about the crashing and let people figure out why the machine is crashing instead.

as for the hdd question so long as it's usb its hot plugable. i know sata is supposed to be hot plugable but i get mixed results

I did like 2 threads, but i didn't get any help lol.

3 minutes ago, Wolly9102 said:

Will it die even if i just unplug the data cable and not the power cable?

7 minutes ago, Wolly9102 said:

Also if the power goes out or I force shit it down, then basically the same thing is happening.

14 minutes ago, yash sharma said:

I was just wondering if my PC was running, and i unplug the data cable going to my hard drive, will it do damage? My PC kept crashing and I think it might be the hard drive. The light turns off and when i force shut it down, it doesn't make a noise like it usually does. If it's safe to unplug it, then I'll try it.

As a general rule of thumb, do not disconnect anything inside the PC as long as it's one and/or plugged into the wall.

1 minute ago, yash sharma said:

Also if the power goes out or I force shit it down, then basically the same thing is happening.

Yes, that's why you really shouldn't want a power outage while your PC is on and directly plugged into the wall.

When you force a shutdown it is actually a bit more gracefull as far as I'm aware.

3 minutes ago, Lennart van de Merwe said:

Yes, that's why you really shouldn't want a power outage while your PC is on and directly plugged into the wall.

As long as you don’t have any HDD’s and a good psu you should in general be fine I believe 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

8 minutes ago, Lennart van de Merwe said:

As a general rule of thumb, do not disconnect anything inside the PC as long as it's one and/or plugged into the wall.

I have a power strip, I dunno if that makes a difference.

I have an extra hdd should i try it on there? Will it damage the rest of my pc?

Also when my pc would crash, then sometimes the power button wouldn't work so i'd have to use the switch on the psu to turn it off.

1 minute ago, yash sharma said:

Also when my pc would crash, then sometimes the power button wouldn't work so i'd have to use the switch on the psu to turn it off.

Again , you should make a thread about this as it has nothing to do with the hard drive then.

the board is specifically making sure you dont try to turn the machine back on again.

40 minutes ago, yash sharma said:

Hot Swappable yes, but just unplug it while it is runing is stupid to do you will mostly probably lose it all then it breaks.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

20 minutes ago, emosun said:

Again , you should make a thread about this as it has nothing to do with the hard drive then.

the board is specifically making sure you dont try to turn the machine back on again.

No, I made this thread because i'm pretty sure that the hard drive keeps shutting off so if I try to see if it's true by unplugging it.

you can check if a hard drive is on simply by accessing it , unplugging it isn't going to show any sort of result

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

you can check if a hard drive is on simply by accessing it , unplugging it isn't going to show any sort of result

I put windows on the drive, but after like 10 mins it shuts off. If I unplug it, then it's gonna simulate what's been happening to the pc when it crashes so I can be sure it's the hdd and not something else.

2 minutes ago, yash sharma said:

I put windows on the drive, but after like 10 mins it shuts off. If I unplug it, then it's gonna simulate what's been happening to the pc when it crashes so I can be sure it's the hdd and not something else.

that would be a great idea if there was not hundreds of things that can make a computer turn off

"well my car kept shutting off so the i drove it into the ocean to see if it would shut off again"

But there's things that indicate that the hdd is shutting off like the light doesn't come on while the pc crashes and is still on. It also makes a noise a few secs after it crashes which is the same sound it makes when i shut down the pc. Those things are leading me to think that it's the hdd. I wanted to unplug it to see if the exact things will happen when I unplug it.

41 minutes ago, emosun said:

that would be a great idea if there was not hundreds of things that can make a computer turn off

"well my car kept shutting off so the i drove it into the ocean to see if it would shut off again"