NVMe Question

Aciderr
Go to solution Solved by Ramrod126,

There really isn't any such thing as a "slow" NVMe drive. That, however is one of the faster ones.

There really isn't any such thing as a "slow" NVMe drive. That, however is one of the faster ones.

12 minutes ago, Ramrod126 said:

Ah okay thanks

It's not the fastest, but not on the slow end (for NVMe drives) by any means. It above average in terms of speed I believe. 

The EVO series are one of the best in terms of quality for the price. 

Yes, this is one of the top consumer nvme drives

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

It's really fast, especially if you have 13GB+ of free space.

2 minutes ago, Ramrod126 said:

*the 660p with less than 10-20% of it's space available would like to disagree*

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, Minibois said:

It's really fast, especially if you have 13GB+ of free space.

Fair enough. I am still running a 950 pro 256 that cost WAY too much in Feb of 2016. It is only about halfway full because I have enough other drives to keep most of stuff on. I honestly can't justify buying a new one for ~ 1000MB/sec faster reads.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:15 AM, Minibois said:

Not really 660p specific, most SSDs including TLC NVMe's slow down heavily around that filled up capacity. 

On 9/8/2019 at 8:14 AM, Oshino Shinobu said:

The EVO series are one of the best in terms of quality for the price. 

Ever heard of Phison E12? 

On 9/8/2019 at 8:14 AM, AndrewB121 said:

Yes, this is one of the top consumer nvme drives

The top consumer NVMe drive is the Intel Optane 900P. If you're going for "one of the top", that's incredibly subjective. But that will not include the EVO, even Phison E12 drives like Sabrent Rocket will outclass the evo on tasks such as content creation.