Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Altruist

I don't get why people like/want wirelesscharging?

11 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

1. That seems rather backwards, if i need to use the phone its much more convenient to just plug it in, but wireless charging is a feature I'd use on occasion to prevent the charge port from wearing out.  And everyone had the same excuse of "just don't use your phone while charging it" with manufacturers taking away the 3.5mm jack to save a few cents, seems a lot less convenient to me to not be able to use the device whenever I'd like.

2. Even mid range phones come with 10-15w fast chargers nowadays, wireless charging heats up the battery and is much less efficient. Extra heat on the battery is an issue especially since manufacturers insist on gluing phones shut for "water resistance" instead of replaceable batteries.

3. Wireless charging isn't anything new, and its still worse than plugging it into the wall.

1. It doesn't make sense to implement wireless chargers everywhere from a cost standpoint unless all phones have wireless charging.

2. I have no problem plugging my phone in if I need to in the car although I can usually get through a whole day without charging my phone.

3. It only takes a few seconds to unplug a phone and grab a cable, or just keep an extra one in the car.

4. Unless battery tech significantly improves, constantly setting down your phone to charge is terrible for battery health.

1. Again, charging overnight, or with the speeds wireless charging is getting to, not touching your phone for a bit shouldn't be an issue.

2. Yes, but phones are coming with 25w - 30w wireless charging, with 40w wireless charging in the works. Also the heating isn't as much of an issue anymore either, with something like 98% efficiency on the latest wireless charging spec.

3. Not really. Not if you have a decent phone and pad.

1. The cost isn't on you, why does it matter? It's not like a single company is shelling out the money for all the access points. That's a nonsensical argument.

3. It only takes seconds to throw it on a charging pad. What's your point? Again, moot.

4. It's not that bad, and there are advances. Did you know that it's full cycles that affect a lithium battery, and not how many times you plug in the charger?

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Mine is on a cradle type stand to the right of my main monitor.

Gives me the ability to read things quickly and determine if I even need to touch the phone.

The fact that it just so happens to be charging while doing this is nice.

It'd be annoying to have to apply pressure to remove the phone if it was plugged in.

Build Logs: Cotton Candy Threads | ZEN CLARITY + | Just NCASE mITX | Noc Noc | NUC | Storage Log

Cotton Candy Threads - CPU AMD Threadripper 2950X | GPU EVGA FTW3 RTX 2080 Ti | MOBO Asus ROG Zenith Extreme | MEMORY 128GB (8x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 | STORAGE 3x Samsung 960 Evo SSD + 4x Crucial P1 1TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB 7.2k HDDs | PSU Corsair HX1200i w/ Cablemod Pro Extensions | COOLING Cooler Master TR4 ML360 | CASE Lian Li O11 Dynamic Black | LIGHTING 2x Corsair HD120 Fans, 4x Corsair Addressable RGB Strips, 2x Corsair Commander Pro | PCPP

ZEN CLARITY + - CPU AMD Ryzen 2700X | GPU Radeon VII | MOBO Crosshair VII Hero | MEMORY 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 | STORAGE Samsung 960 Pro SSD + 2x SanDisk Ultra II SSDs | PSU Corsair RM1000i | COOLING Corsair H150i Pro | CASE Crystal 570X | LIGHTING 6x Corsair SP120 Fans, Cablemod Addressable RGB Strip, Corsair Commander Pro | PCPP

Just NCASE mITX - CPU Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz | GPU EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | MOBO Asus Z370-I Gaming | MEMORY 16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill Triden-Z RGB 3000 | STORAGE Samsung 960 Evo 500GB SSD + Corsair MX500 1TB M.2 SSD | PSU Corsair SF600 | COOLING Noctua NH-U9S w/ Redux Push/Pull Fans | CASE NCase M1v5 | LIGHTING 2x Cablemod Addressable RGB Strips | PCPP

Noc Noc, Who's There? - CPU AMD Threadripper 1950X | GPU ASUS RTX 2080 Ti OC | MOBO ASRock X399M Taichi | MEMORY 32GB (4x 8GB) GSkill Trident-Z 3200 | STORAGE Samsung 970 Evo SSD | PSU Corsair HX1000i w/ Cablemod Pro B&W Kit | COOLING Noctua U9 TR4 w/ 2x Redux 92mm | CASE Corsair 280X White | FANS 6x Noctua 140mm Redux | PCPP

I have two charging pads, one at home and one at work. I come home and put my phone on my desk charger. I go to work and put my phone on my desk charger. Its an S9 so battery life isn't great, keeping it topped up is pretty important. Plus the pads support wireless fast charging. My system works well and is super convenient, I can pick up my phone and set it down without plugging or unplugging it. 

Similar arguments for corded vs cordless headphones. Cordless is just nicer for everyday use 

also i just thought of this, but way less strain on the usb-c connector as well. Mine is still brand new looking 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Imagine a world where you sit down at your desk and when you set down your phone to use your computer and when you leave it's just magically more charged. Or when you go to bed and it's pitch black and you don't want to wake up with a dead battery in your phone and you just set it on the nightstand wake up and it's charged. Sure I could plug in my phone to my quick charger when i wake up and have 70% battery by the time I get out of the shower but, still. Sure these are very first world problems but, it would be nice to have the option. I use my phone alot. Battery technology still isn't very great in smartphones and adding a bit of an extra boost while you're just sitting down is a good thing no?  That way you don't even need to think about charging your phone. 

unnecessary

On 9/7/2019 at 7:59 PM, Altruist said:

Just to begin im an anti-wireless charging guy or anything i just see why it liked so much, and heres why.

1. it's harder to use the phone while it's charging

2. it charger MUCH slower then current charging tech (samsung, huawei, oppo or even usb pd)

3. it's not as efficient as wired charging (energy loss)

Guys change my mind, tell me the advantages of wireless charging and why you think its good :D

I totally agree it's really unnecessary, electroboom explained how un-efficient it is and slow, I just prefer a cable, When it gets as efficient and fast as wired then i might use it at home on my setup. I'm pretty concious about my house power consumption as i have a few really high power draw amplifiers. 

Core i3 7100

8gb ddr4

1050ti

rockin cd player

1 tb HDD

m.2 ssd (240gb)

500gb HDD

Audio:

2x McIntosh MC1.25kW

McIntosh C53 pre-amplifier

McIntosh MP1100 phono pre-amplifier

McIntosh MS500 + QNAP TS-451+ with 32TB of Seagate ironwolf Pro's

SME Model 15 Turntable

SME 309 Tonearm

Schitt YGGDRASIL DAC

Chord Company Shawline RCA's

Chord Company Shawline XLR's

QED Supremus Loudspeaker cable

PMC FACT Fenestria loudspeaker's

IsoTek EVO3 power conditioner

Audioquest NRG-Y3 power cable's

Clearaudio Essence MC cartridge

Sennheiser HDV820 Headphone Amplifier

Sennheiser HD800s Headphone's

On 9/7/2019 at 11:59 AM, Altruist said:

So plug it in if you need to use it while charging.

2. it charger MUCH slower then current charging tech (samsung, huawei, oppo or even usb pd)

So plug it in if you are in a hurry.

No reasonable person cares about the efficiency difference.

The fact of the matter is wireless charging is much more convenient. Period. It has some disadvantages as well but those are easily circumvented by using wired charging when appropriate.

-ws

11 hours ago, Zyzzyan said:

Like the loss of the head phone jack, it could lead to better waterproofing.  That's a plus.

This is a myth caused, as far as I can tell, by people having a short memory.  There were phones with headphone jacks and also IP 68 water ratings, and there are phones with no jack that still aren't well insulated.  Just like removable batteries, water proofing is not an excuse.

25 minutes ago, Joelw2003 said:

15w wireless charger on s10+, same speed.

What's the wattage of the charger that drives it?  Since you lose wattage from the charger to the transfer between the pad and phone.  You still have to feed in something like 15W of charging to get 10W of wireless charge to the phone itself.

On 9/8/2019 at 7:43 PM, The_Prycer said:

In the future however, wireless charging will do the same to USB-C (or whatever type we're using by then) ports that Apple did to the 3.5mm jack. It will allow one fewer point of entry for dust, water, and other damaging entities to get to the internal components of the device. Imagine a phone that requires a Bluetooth headset to be able to talk on and can only charge wirelessly. You and I might think that's a dumbass idea (and it is), but to hardware manufacturers, this is now an electronic device with no obvious entry points on it for water or dust to stroll on in and cause damage. Your phone is now totally waterproof straight from the factory, no case required.

Counter argument: I often use my phone while it's charging. That is fairly hard when it has to be connected to some weird pad. How'd I do that?

---

Wireless charging is cool. It's like magic. Plop your phone onto some weird thing and somehow it's charging. That being said, I've never had a phone that could charge wirelessly, and, seeing as I generally either charge my phone at night, or while I'm using it, it does not really have a place in my life. I much prefer a 2 or 3 meter cable, you can go everywhere in my room with that. :D

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

how else am I going to put a charger under my desk?

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

The way to get the specs for my PC. go to the store. Buy some potatos. boil them and mash the. and stuff that in a focus g with a ssd.

On 9/7/2019 at 3:07 PM, Drak3 said:

It's a convenience thing. The people that like it, like it because you literally need to set the phone down and that's it.

Apparently plugging charging table is too much work. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I've had a bunch of Qi chargers over the years that I got for cheap. 

I like being able to set my phone down and forget it. Beyond that some set ups, such as the wireless charging stand for the pixel 3, are just plane nice to use. At some level your phone becomes a grab and go Google Assistant device. 

I will agree that it can be annoying to fiddle with the wireless-charger at times. This is a function of the unit and the phone and newer/better devices tend to be better than what I've been using for the last 5 years.

17 minutes ago, wasab said:

Apparently plugging charging table is too much work. 

Some people have high incomes and want to put that money to use to make their lives more pleasurable. Others, like my mother, have bone cancer and any little thing that can given them ease and comfort make a difference. 

On the lower end, chargers can be had for as low as $10 so...

R9 3900x; 64GB RAM | RTX 2080 | 1.5TB Optane P4800x

1TB ADATA XPG Pro 8200 SSD | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD
HD800 + SCHIIT VALI | Topre Realforce Keyboard

8 minutes ago, comander said:

I've had a bunch of Qi chargers over the years that I got for cheap. 

I like being able to set my phone down and forget it. Beyond that some set ups, such as the wireless charging stand for the pixel 3, are just plane nice to use. At some level your phone becomes a grab and go Google Assistant device. 

I will agree that it can be annoying to fiddle with the cord at times. 

Some people have high incomes and want to put that money to use to make their lives more pleasurable. Others, like my mother, have bone cancer and any little thing that can given them ease and comfort make a difference. 

My wireless charger came from 5 Below (For those who don't know what that is, its like a really nice dollar store but things cost $5 and less, not $1 and less)

SenKa's Shop Thread: WIP

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, CoolerMaster, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: Early 2014 Macbook Air. Intel i5-4260U, 4GB RAM, 128GB Apple PCI-E SSD, Intel HD Graphics 5000

Phones: iPhone XS Max, IPhone 6s x2, iPhone 5s. Lots more in parts.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $200.00) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Monitor: Dell U2417H 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: LG 34UM69G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Custom: Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evolution Nvidia Edition  (Purchased For $60.00)
Total: $1395.00

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This is a myth caused, as far as I can tell, by people having a short memory.  There were phones with headphone jacks and also IP 68 water ratings, and there are phones with no jack that still aren't well insulated.  Just like removable batteries, water proofing is not an excuse.

*Looks at Galaxy S5*

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

12 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

What's the wattage of the charger that drives it?  Since you lose wattage from the charger to the transfer between the pad and phone.  You still have to feed in something like 15W of charging to get 10W of wireless charge to the phone itself.

18w I believe

I also agree, some things are just better off the way they where designed and created. The whole lets go smaller and wireless thing is not my cup of tea and I think many would agree

13 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Counter argument: I often use my phone while it's charging. That is fairly hard when it has to be connected to some weird pad. How'd I do that?

I have a theory that phone cases of the future will have wireless charging capabilities so you'd just plug your battery case in to something instead of your phone. 

To further my tinfoil hat theories, the cases of the future might also feature Bluetooth microphones and Speakers to remove points of ingress from your mobile internet device that you sometimes call people on.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

Wireless charging works quite quickly actually. 

maybe not as fast as USB-C but it charges faster than my old smartphones did even when using wireless charging. 

Also wireless charging saves my USB-C port from wear and tear , no needing to replace cords ect. 

I can still use USB-C charging if needed and the ports are like new and no chance of it breaking off in the phone etc. 

This post is odd to me , its a good feature i use it for the same kind of reasons i used the magnetic charging on my Xperia Z1 when i had that.. except this wireless charging is far far far faster than the magnetic pad charging the Xperia Z1 had. 

Too many Pc's to list - overclocked heavy etc. 

16 hours ago, comander said:

that is about the price of 2 lightning cables! /s

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

The way to get the specs for my PC. go to the store. Buy some potatos. boil them and mash the. and stuff that in a focus g with a ssd.

People keep saying that its more convenient but i dont get it(well i do exept....), isn't it MORE convenient for it to actually be fully charged when you need it? Wireless charging is just slower and therefore may not be full when needed.

On 9/7/2019 at 2:59 PM, Altruist said:

Just to begin im an anti-wireless charging guy or anything i just see why it liked so much, and heres why.

Guys change my mind, tell me the advantages of wireless charging and why you think its good :D

I agree. My wife loves them, but I simply don't get how it's more 'convenient' It's slower and a couple of times I was almost screwed when my phone (that was supposed to be charging wirelessly) died and my alarm never went off to wake me up for work.

How difficult is it to plug in a charging cable? 

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, steelo said:

How difficult is it to plug in a charging cable? 

Apparently too unconvenient

I may be wrong.