I don't get why people like/want wirelesscharging?

Altruist

Just to begin im an anti-wireless charging guy or anything i just see why it liked so much, and heres why.

1. it's harder to use the phone while it's charging

2. it charger MUCH slower then current charging tech (samsung, huawei, oppo or even usb pd)

3. it's not as efficient as wired charging (energy loss)

Guys change my mind, tell me the advantages of wireless charging and why you think its good :D

I may be wrong.

Call me back when I can rig a room up with wireless charging so that my phone will charge as long as it's in that room.

Maybe not that extreme, but you know what I mean. Current wireless charging is pointless.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, Altruist said:

-snip-

Nope, I agree with you.

If you'd like, I could argue with you about something else... :P

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Call me back when I can rig a room up with wireless charging so that my phone will charge as long as it's in that room.

Maybe not that extreme, but you know what I mean. Current wireless charging is pointless.

Intentional puns?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

i can think of like 1 possible thing:

ur in a big rush and need your phone, just grab it

otherwise it's a big nono for me

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

I'm ok with wireless charging... as long as I have the option to also just plug it in.

That way, I can just leave my phone on the charging pad at night when I won't be using it anyway or can just plug it in if I need to use it while it's charging....

Then again, my phone's charge last me through the day just fine... Heck I can do a couple days without charging it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It's a convenience thing. The people that like it, like it because you literally need to set the phone down and that's it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

It's not like it's replaced wired charging. If you need the features you've mentioned, use wired charging...

I use wireless most of the time because it's less effort. You can just put it down and pick it up without worrying about a cable. If I need fast charging or something, I'll just plug my phone in when I need it. 

It has downsides, but it doesn't need to be one or the other, does it?

I like those magnetic charging cables more than wireless chargers.

Current wireless chargers only make sense for smartwatches and other small tidbits.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I like to set my phone down and have it charge so I can see the notifications from the stand and I don't like plugging and unplugging a USB dongle over and over. Sure I don't carry a wireless charger with me but 99% of the time in my usual day to day activities I have a wireless charger at work and at home on my desk so it's very convenient especially since I often leave my desk, I just grab my phone off the charger. I don't really care that I can go from 0% to 100% in 5 seconds flat because a wired charger can shove current into if faster and if I absolutely need fast charging then I have a wall brick to use.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Altruist said:

Wireless charging is not made for use with your phone. And even then, using your phone while charging slows the charging process down anyway.

9 minutes ago, Altruist said:

2. it charger MUCH slower then current charging tech (samsung, huawei, oppo or even usb pd)

While it is slower, it's much more convenient to slap it down and not have to worry.

9 minutes ago, Altruist said:

It's at most a few cents per month, if I had to take a completely wild stab in the dark. Alternatively, turn off the power outlet to it.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Laziness. 

If I'm at my desk, I rarely will bother to plug a cable in to charge - I'm also an OCD nut job, so have my cables tidied/tied, which means I'd have to unplug it to use it. 

Have a wireless pad means I can just put it down, which I'd do anyway, and pick it straight back up.... In between charging it slightly 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

18 minutes ago, Altruist said:

Just to begin im an anti-wireless charging guy or anything i just see why it liked so much, and heres why.

I don't use my phone at night, so I just plop it on my wireless charger and sleep. Convenience. 

its not bad. 5w is 5w. if im not using my phone why should I care?

I don't really mind this. 

Guys change my mind, tell me the advantages of wireless charging and why you think its good :D

Just now, floofer said:

if im not using my phone why should I care?

Some phones might suck up the same amount, or more power as the charger provides.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Some phones might suck up the same amount, or more power as the charger provides.

If I'm leaving it overnight, why does that matter?

1 minute ago, floofer said:

If I'm leaving it overnight, why does that matter?

If the charger can't provide enough power to run the phone and charge the battery, the battery doesn't charge. If it can't provide enough to even power the phone, it'll just slow the drain on the battery.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I like wireless charging because I can just place the phone down then pick it up without plugging/unplugging. Sure it doesn't charge as fast as a cable but it's still pretty fast imo

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

29 minutes ago, Altruist said:

Sometimes you don't need to charge a phone fast... let's say you come from work and you just pull out the phone and place it on your desk on the charging pad ... no need to search for the charger. You're in no rush to charge the battery fast, you can charge your phone within a few hours. In fact, it's often BETTER to charge the phone slower and prolong the battery life.

No cables also means if needed, you can simply grab the phone from the desk and move around the house or whatever and when done, just place it back on the desk

Efficiency ... it's debatable .. sometimes it's worth trading efficiency for the convenience... it's either 85-90% efficiency for a wallwart charger, or maybe 60% for a  wireless charger powered from a usb port on your computer... so... let's say 10Wh vs 15Wh ... you're paying maybe 60 cents for 1000 Wh ... so it's literally pennies in difference price wise.

If the charger can't provide enough power to run the phone and charge the battery, the battery doesn't charge. If it can't provide enough to even power the phone, it'll just slow the drain on the battery.

Phones don't really consume a lot of power while idle, just waiting for calls ... a wireless charger can easily pump several times that amount of power.

A nice wireless charging pad would be nice. Lay my Note 10, my Gear Sport and Galaxy buds down on it and only have 1 thing connected to the wall? Sign me up. I alternate between the Gear Sport and Gear Fit 2 Pro, including my battery bank and speaker, that's SIX things I need to charge. It would be nice to have 3 of those on the same pad. 

Still waiting for my 45w charger to become available samsung >_>

All your downsides can be overcome by charging wired when appropriate for the situation.

At my desk at work I would generally prefer wireless charging for the grab and go experience.

At home I’m often on my device more so need wired.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

In fact, it's often BETTER to charge the phone slower and prolong the battery life.

Yes but we're leaving out the fact that because wireless charging is less efficient it creates a lot of excess heat on your battery.  Which depending on the phone (and case it's in) and the charge speed can slow charging and be more harmful to the battery as it's not good for it to have excess heat.  Over time likely easier on the battery to charge wired, fills it more quickly with less time for battery to sustain heat (and less wasted heat).

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Wireless charging can charge the phone just fine though. Its not exactly modern tech either, its got much more efficient over the years. 

1 minute ago, floofer said:

Wireless charging can charge the phone just fine though.

It all really depends on the phone and charger though. Sure, 90% of the combinations out in the wild are fine, but there are some that aren't.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Yes but we're leaving out the fact that because wireless charging is less efficient it creates a lot of excess heat on your battery.  Which depending on the phone (and case it's in) and the charge speed can slow charging and be more harmful to the battery as it's not good for it to have excess heat.  Over time likely easier on the battery to charge wired, fills it more quickly with less time for battery to sustain heat (and less wasted heat).

That's just ridiculous.

Charging your battery fast will reduce the battery life much more compared to charging it at slow rate. It will heat much more when fast charging compared to slow charging where the battery can radiate some of the heat through the case.

See https://www.quora.com/Does-charging-phone-slowly-affect-battery-life

see https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/does-wireless-charging-degrade-your-battery-faster/

see https://www.techconsumerguide.com/fast-charging-vs-normal-charging/

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It all really depends on the phone and charger though. Sure, 90% of the combinations out in the wild are fine, but there are some that aren't.

then go to the store and get a refund lol. I'm not saying its better or you have to, but its a good convenient alternative. When I get home from work I just want to slap my phone on the charger and forget about it. No stress.