Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcio Pires

High PSU 12v Tension, BSOD Everywhere, welcome to my Nightmare. What can be done?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello Guys,

There's my gear:

CPU - i7 4790k

GraphicCard - GTX 970

Memory - 10GB DDR3

MOBO - Asus Sabertooth Mark I

PowerSuply - EVGA 750 BQ

Storage 1 - SSD kingstom 480gb

Storage 2 - WD VelociRaptor 480GB

OS - Windows 10


The Problem---------------------------

Has been a while my computer started presenting weird behaviors. The first was a BSOD once in 1 or 2 weeks and then a "power surge" message that appeared once in a while in the first screen right after the PC was turned on, in the bios the 5v tension was higher, about 6.2v.

About 3 months ago my computer didn't started, the MOBO was no longer functioning. A friend of mine lent me his extra mobo and I used it with my gear with no problem(about 2 weeks), meanwhile I took my mobo to be restored.

When I got my mobo back and installed in my gear, the real nightmare started...

My PC Constantly shows BSOD, most of the time, the temperature of the CPU goes really high before the BSOD but sometimes don't. The CPU temperature idling goes to 70ºc and after a while normalizes(about 45ºc).

So I reached the engineers that restored my mobo and told them the problem, they said to take the whole PC to them (not just the mobo) and so I did it. When they finally diagnosed, they said the problem was the power supply.

Was a relative new power supply, had just turned 1 year and 1 month that same day. I couldn't wait to send my power supply to US(for the warranty), would take too much time, so I bought a new one, a CORSAIR HX850, and they installed and tested for days. They tested each componet in different setups, other PSU in my setup too, they did stress test.

When I got my gear back, after a few hour using the PC guess what... BSOD again. Until the end of the same day that I got my gear back, I couldn't even get in OS, the BSOD apeared right after I chose the user, when the windows start loading. So I formated, the WD VelociRaptor was no longer working, just the SSD, and this time the 12v tensions is never at 12v, when it's low reaches 13v, when is high reaches 15.5v, this happens with the new PSU.

After formating, the problem changed a little bit, the BSOD happened 1 or 2 times a day, and after 2 or 3 days the "master BSOD" happen, that BSOD where I can't even enter the OS and when it happens, the only solution is restore the windows to a previously state(not always work but most of the time it does) or formating.

Some people adviced me to run with just one stick of memory and test one by one, But I bought brand new memory, but the problem persists, I tried the one stick thing too.

I Work at home, it's a home office job. I can't stop and I don't have a backup gear. Right now the problem is more constant more bsod's and more formating.




I'm thinking in buy a new Mobo/processor/memory, a ryzen 5 3600x maybe. But I'm afraid that the problem will persist and right now it's not the best moment for me to spend this money.

So... What is you guys thoughts? Do I need an exorcist?

Thanks for the patience

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Marcio Pires said:

I Work at home, it's a home office job. I can't stop and I don't have a backup gear. Right now the problem is more constant more bsod's and more formating.

What kind of external peripherals do you have plugged in?

 

Mouse, keyboard, screen, scanner, printer, etc... external USB devices can cause BSOD's.


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like your old psu gave too much voltage to all the rails (5v, 12v etc), and pretty much fried everything. And when you swapped out parts by parts you damaged the new parts too.

 

If you have the budget, i would do a total rework, if you don't, then switch out the motherboard for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a proper multimeter and measure the voltages at the actual outputs of the power supply.

Even a 2-3$ multimeter will have better than 1% accuracy when reading DC voltages the power supply produces.

 

It's extremely unlikely that you had TWO decent power supplies outputting voltages outside the normal ranges. Both GQ and HX 850 are very good models of power supplies with over voltage protections.

It can happen that motherboard has faulty voltage reading or that the software you use does not interpret the motherboard readings properly (sometimes a software thinks motherboard uses a particular chip which places the voltage readings in memory in a particular format, while in reality the motherboard uses another chip which puts the readings in another format so the software gets incorrect values)

 

MAYBE (but I doubt) you had some kind of power failure in your first power supply that caused some damage on your original motherboard and maybe affected the hard drive as well... the second power supply should be fine.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first thing you should've done is to test your PC with a different PSU to confirm that it was indeed a bad PSU. If you would've gotten same abnormal voltage readings with a different PSU that would be a good indication that its not PSU that is bad. 

 

In this case I would buy a new motherboard because when something as sensitive as voltage regulation goes bad, there is always a possibility that something will go wrong even after repair because bad voltage can damage anything on the board.


Main system: i7 8700k 5Ghz / Asus Prime Z370-A / Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000Mhz / Gigabyte RTX2080 Aorus Extreme / EVGA 750W GQ / Fractal Design Meshify C

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 9/7/2019 at 12:19 PM, Alexsolo said:

What kind of external peripherals do you have plugged in?

 

Mouse, keyboard, screen, scanner, printer, etc... external USB devices can cause BSOD's.

Only Mouse, keyboard and Headset.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 9/7/2019 at 12:22 PM, mariushm said:

Get a proper multimeter and measure the voltages at the actual outputs of the power supply.

Even a 2-3$ multimeter will have better than 1% accuracy when reading DC voltages the power supply produces.

 

It's extremely unlikely that you had TWO decent power supplies outputting voltages outside the normal ranges. Both GQ and HX 850 are very good models of power supplies with over voltage protections.

It can happen that motherboard has faulty voltage reading or that the software you use does not interpret the motherboard readings properly (sometimes a software thinks motherboard uses a particular chip which places the voltage readings in memory in a particular format, while in reality the motherboard uses another chip which puts the readings in another format so the software gets incorrect values)

 

MAYBE (but I doubt) you had some kind of power failure in your first power supply that caused some damage on your original motherboard and maybe affected the hard drive as well... the second power supply should be fine.

 

I will find another build to test the PSU. The 12v rail is ocilating and the crash happens the most when the voltage reaches 14 or more, the CPU Cooler start to make a very loud noise and the temperature rises.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 9/7/2019 at 12:35 PM, PopsicleHustler said:

The first thing you should've done is to test your PC with a different PSU to confirm that it was indeed a bad PSU. If you would've gotten same abnormal voltage readings with a different PSU that would be a good indication that its not PSU that is bad. 

 

In this case I would buy a new motherboard because when something as sensitive as voltage regulation goes bad, there is always a possibility that something will go wrong even after repair because bad voltage can damage anything on the board.

I will buy the most important parts of PC: motherboard, memory and cpu. I will wait until blackfriday to get better deals, until then will hope the PC doesn't fry

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I installed WhoCrashed to see the report, it points to a hardware failure but it doesn't specifies which hardware, see the Report below:

 

System Information (local)



Computer name: DESKTOP-LRU2IA5
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 18362
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: All Series, ASUS, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17117532160 bytes total



 


Crash Dump Analysis



Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 10/09/2019 22:12:49 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091019-5515-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE58DCED68028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.




On Tue 10/09/2019 20:22:51 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091019-4437-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR




On Tue 10/09/2019 20:21:39 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0xD8)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFC50DF577B028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.




On Mon 09/09/2019 20:24:35 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090919-11328-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0xD8)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFF8405ED97B028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.



On Mon 09/09/2019 20:24:26 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090919-5765-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR



On Mon 09/09/2019 15:29:44 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090919-5875-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0xD8)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFF96053096B028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

 

Anyone has an Idea?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Marcio Pires said:

will hope the PC doesn't fry

That is what makes PSU the most important part of a PC. No matter how good or expensive your other components are, PSU can take them all out in an instant.


Main system: i7 8700k 5Ghz / Asus Prime Z370-A / Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000Mhz / Gigabyte RTX2080 Aorus Extreme / EVGA 750W GQ / Fractal Design Meshify C

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 9/10/2019 at 7:37 PM, Marcio Pires said:

I installed WhoCrashed to see the report, it points to a hardware failure but it doesn't specifies which hardware, see the Report below:

 

System Information (local)



Computer name: DESKTOP-LRU2IA5
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 18362
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: All Series, ASUS, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17117532160 bytes total



 


Crash Dump Analysis



Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 10/09/2019 22:12:49 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091019-5515-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE58DCED68028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.




On Tue 10/09/2019 20:22:51 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091019-4437-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR




On Tue 10/09/2019 20:21:39 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0xD8)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFC50DF577B028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.




On Mon 09/09/2019 20:24:35 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090919-11328-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0xD8)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFF8405ED97B028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.



On Mon 09/09/2019 20:24:26 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090919-5765-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR



On Mon 09/09/2019 15:29:44 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090919-5875-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0xD8)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFF96053096B028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

 

Anyone has an Idea?

I will leave a link to the files too

https://www.4shared.com/rar/6liMbXAtgm/BSOD.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

That is what makes PSU the most important part of a PC. No matter how good or expensive your other components are, PSU can take them all out in an instant.

Do you know how to get more informations about bsod dump files?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

a "power surge" message that appeared once in a while in the first screen right after the PC was turned on

check your voltage coming out of the outlet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×