is the seagate barracuda 1tb reliable???

ComputerPerson1867

Is the seagate barracuda 1tb reliable? I saw online that some of the barracudas just broke in 12-16 months. My wd blue 1tb came broken. I'm sending it back and looking at seagate because I saw some reviews that other people wd blue 1tb came broken too.

5 minutes ago, unevendaxter said:

Is the seagate barracuda 1tb reliable? I saw online that some of the barracudas just broke in 12-16 months. My wd blue 1tb came broken. I'm sending it back and looking at seagate because I saw some reviews that other people wd blue 1tb came broken too.

All drives fail, it's just a matter of when. If you have a solid backup plan, then it doesn't matter.

For the record, I'm a huge seagate fan, but I admit their 3TB drives were kinda naff

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

It's pretty hit and miss. I've got a 250GB WD Blue that lost about 9 gigs to bad sectors within the first thousand hours, and I have a 1TB Hitachi with going on 54K hours that's in great shape.

That said, I've just generally had better luck with Seagate than WD. Now time to knock on all the wood that the WD in my OG Xbox doesn't fail.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Buy seagate if you're out of choices. Go for Toshiba or Hitachi.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

39 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

It's pretty hit and miss. I've got a 250GB WD Blue that lost about 9 gigs to bad sectors within the first thousand hours, and I have a 1TB Hitachi with going on 54K hours that's in great shape.

That said, I've just generally had better luck with Seagate than WD. Now time to knock on all the wood that the WD in my OG Xbox doesn't fail.

I have 2 2TB Hitachi with 30k hours on them, they still look like new in Crystal Disk Info.

I've also had far better luck with WD, so shrug

Small though not totally valid substantiation: I have a 4 drive JBOD array for my preliminary backup, and I just checked the health of all my drives and found that the only Seagate drive in the array is reporting SMART errors. Mind you, it's a generic white label OEM drive, very old, may or may not have been dropped (shh), and has 26k power on hours. Though, with that said I'm going to just fold and pull out my 2 1.5TB drives from the array and replace them with more 2TB ones so that way I have 8TB of backups in both my file server and desktop.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

As long as you don't use it for business-level writings, it's fine and as long as you don't leave it on for more than 8 to 10 hours a day, it's also fine, if you're someone who does it and leave the compiler always on then use the Pro version because it was made for that but still a desktop consumer level device.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

3 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

As long as you don't use it for business-level writings, it's fine and as long as you don't leave it on for more than 8 to 10 hours a day, it's also fine, if you're someone who does it and leave the compiler always on then use the Pro version because it was made for that but still a desktop consumer level device.

Didn't know we had Seagate reps on the forums, very cool

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Just now, SenKa said:

Didn't know we had Seagate reps on the forums, very cool

Thank you fella! I'm happy that you appreciate me being here ?? You can hit me up or tag me whenever you want, I try to comment as much as I can and my time allows it to. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming