Dell Inspiron 3458 display change to FHD

Go to solution Solved by Drexo,

Guys thanks for the help, I really appreciate it, but I'm going to stick with the built in screen while I'm on the go and at home I'm hooking it up to my big screen. There are no FHD displays for my model and no other configs existed with this kind of resolution, if these displays exist, even similar ones, God knows where are they sold or how do I have to adapt it to fit my laptop model, it's not worth it. Really easier this way, plus I'm buying a new laptop soon so this little machine it's just momentary. I thought it would have been easier.

Thanks again.

Hi all.

I have an old Dell Inspiron 3458, God knows of what year it is.

Anyway for what I need it's good enough but I want to see if I can upgrade the display to a FHD and max out the ram. I already upgraded it with a Samsung SSD and it works fairly good, so with the upgrades I have in mind I suppose it will be good enough.

I just need to know if the iGPU supports 1920x1080 resolution. At the moment the resolution is set at 1366x768 at most.

So far I think it does since I hooked it up to an external HDMI display and it outputs correctly at FHD, is this enough for me to confirm I can change the screen?

In case it isn't enough I cannot find the exact model of the iGPU. The system Info just says "Intel HD Graphics". I'm sharing the screenshots if you can figure it out for me please.

Thank you.

2019-09-06 (1).png

2019-09-06.png

The iGPU supports it. The question is can you find a display with a compatible connector, pin count, power envelope, driver and firmware support as well as mounting points.

All iGPUs from 2010 support 1080p60 output for sure. Whether what model of panel to buy, depends on budget and some wanted features (maybe brighter than 250 cd/m^2 or 72% of CIA1932 coverage aka near 100% sRGB)...

Good places to look for ones are panelook and notebookcheck sometimes.

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwVs9zrM493rjD42E2Pf0YcOkaW92ZUo

Tips for folding on laptop:

Lazy man wants upgrades from the sky.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Spakes

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I have seen many video guides on display change but I'm researching how to find the exact panel for this laptop.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The iGPU supports it. The question is can you find a display with a compatible connector, pin count, power envelope, driver and firmware support as well as mounting points.

Drivers aren't much of a problem. Form Factor (and connector, of course, as you said) is...

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I have seen many video guides on display change but I'm researching how to find the exact panel for this laptop.

Just now, Drexo said:

Use HWInfo64 to learn exact model of your current panel. Search it on panelook or google to find compatible ones with same connector type, interface, form factor, and IPS Full HD with no PWM whatsoever or at least high frequency PWM ideally (this is where notebookcheck can shine for a change).

2 minutes ago, Drexo said:

You need the exact panel model number. Also check of Dell ever sold a config with a 1080 display. That may be a huge help.

5 minutes ago, Spakes said:

All iGPUs from 2010 support 1080p60 output for sure. Whether what model of panel to buy, depends on budget and some wanted features (maybe brighter than 250 cd/m^2 or 72% of CIA1932 coverage aka near 100% sRGB)...

Good places to look for ones are panelook and notebookcheck sometimes.

I just need it FHD with decent illumination, 250 - 280 nits I think it's enough without being too heavy on the battery. I don't need color accuracy.

8 minutes ago, Drexo said:

I just need it FHD with decent illumination, 250 - 280 nits I think it's enough without being too heavy on the battery. I don't need color accuracy.

If you are changing the panel, at the very least get an IPS one..also, brightness has no direct connection with battery life. Modern 350 nitt displays use less power than a 4 year old 150 nitt one. Look up the specsheets

13 minutes ago, Spakes said:

Use HWInfo64 to learn exact model of your current panel. Search it on panelook or google to find compatible ones with same connector type, interface, form factor, and IPS Full HD with no PWM whatsoever or at least high frequency PWM ideally (this is where notebookcheck can shine for a change).

Is "HWInfo64" a terminal command or a program?

if you want higher resolution, you are going to have to buy a better laptop.

8 minutes ago, Drexo said:

Is "HWInfo64" a terminal command or a program?

Ok I found it, it's a separate program.

Using it just says "Generic PnP Monitor", not that useful...

5 minutes ago, F___M said:

if you want higher resolution, you are going to have to buy a better laptop.

No, FHD it's fine.

tell ya what.  google your model and click on any of the led screen vendors and ask them.

Look for "Monitor Name (Manuf)". There should be name of your current display. Monitor - AU Optronics (in my case).image.png.d63561e5c7be071f35044f58b118080e.png

Guys thanks for the help, I really appreciate it, but I'm going to stick with the built in screen while I'm on the go and at home I'm hooking it up to my big screen. There are no FHD displays for my model and no other configs existed with this kind of resolution, if these displays exist, even similar ones, God knows where are they sold or how do I have to adapt it to fit my laptop model, it's not worth it. Really easier this way, plus I'm buying a new laptop soon so this little machine it's just momentary. I thought it would have been easier.

Thanks again.