Airflow

Luke Murtagh

Hello all,

I plan to migrate my current build to an NZXT H710i and I need some advice regrading airflow. I will have a Kraken X72 cooling my CPU and I was thinking of placing it on the front to act as intake. My question is what I should do for exhaust. Should I have one rear exhaust and three top exhausts or only one or two top exhausts? Since this is my first time using an AIO I’m not quite sure what an ideal setup would look like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Specs:

CPU: i7-9700K.
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X72.
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (WiFi). 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200.
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD and Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD.
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080TI 11GB FTW 3 Ultra.
PSU: Corsair RM1000i 1000W 80+ Gold.
Case: NZXT H710i.

Front will generally provide cooler CPU temps, Top will generally see cooler GPU temps.  

With your GPU, I'd try front first.

Okay, will do. My GPU has three fans and runs at between 50-60 degrees c when under pressure in my current case so I’m fine with trying it at the front. How many exhausts would you recommend? I’ve seen some people have three exhausts at the top. Would that interfere with airflow or not? I’m used to having an air cooler so I only have one exhaust at the top at the moment because I wanted air to get through the CPU tower but since I’m changing it to an AIO I presume this isn’t an issue anymore?

25 minutes ago, Luke Murtagh said:

How many exhausts would you recommend? I’ve seen some people have three exhausts at the top.

ONE! The back

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

The case already comes with 4 preinstalled fans. I'd just mount the cooler at the top for exhaust and leave the stock case fans as is.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I don't think you will see much difference in temps either way. Just placing rad to front will determinate most of temps. Placing it to front will mean lower CPU temps and higher GPU temps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv