Need help with Drive Backup

MrElectro1

I would like to back up my storage hard drive because; I would like to add another and set them for RAID 0. That would require me to format my currant drive and I don't want to lose the information I have on it. Is there a good way to back up my information onto an external hard drive so I can put that information back once they are configured for RAID 0. I do not want to back up my whole computer only the one drive.

This is my first time posting on a form so please bear with me and I apologize if i made any errors in this posting.

This my be a dumb comment but would it be fine to simply copy and paste the files over and back once they are formatted for RAID 0. or would that not get all of the information.

1 hour ago, MrElectro1 said:

This my be a dumb comment but would it be fine to simply copy and paste the files over and back once they are formatted for RAID 0. or would that not get all of the information.

Technically, you can but Windows doesn't handle large file transfers very well if you try to do it all at once and, if you try to do it piecemeal to avoid that, there is the danger that you may overlook files.

I second the motion to use FreeFileSync. I almost never have a problem with it and, if a file should not copy over correctly, it will let me know which one. Just set it to Mirror (not the same as RAID 1), start the process, then just leave it alone until it has finished.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!