No Sign of Life after "Upgrade" - Did I Fry my Mainboard?

macminitosh

I just bought a whole system for (in my eyes) a pretty good price.

The specs are as follows:

• MoBo: MSI Z270 Gaming Carbon 
  • CPU: i7-7700K (which I swapped for an i5-7600, explanation below)
  • GPU: ASUS Strix Gaming GTX 1070 8GB
  • PSU: bequiet! PurePower 11 600W (L11-600W)
  • RAM: Ballistix Sport 2400 Mhz 16GB
  • HDD: Crucial P1 M.2 2280 500GB

Now for the problem:

As mentioned above, I pulled out the i7 and swapped it with an i5-7600 from my iMac, because the iMac needed these sweet extra threads and the i5 would be well enough for the suite of games that would be played on the machine.

While reinstalling everything, I added the M.2 SSD as the computer didn't have one installed at the time of buying. The computer did boot up and everything worked when I purchased it, so all the parts have been working before I tinkered around with it.

When I had everything reinstalled, I connected the power and tried to boot, but nothing happened. No LEDs, no Fans, not even a beep. There seems to be no power coming to the board or anything else in general. It was then that I noticed that I had connected a strange, 4 Pin connector, which I assumed was for the front fan, into the SYS_FAN3 Header. But it does not connect to that, but instead it comes directly from the PSU. There's images of it attached below.

As nothing did explode or noticeably smoked/burned/sparked whilst trying to power the PC up, I have no clue whether this mistake did kill my PSU, my mainboard, or anything else that was connected to it. As the PSU has black-only wires, I don't know which cable I need to jump in order to perform the PSU test. I'm totally screwed.

What do I do now? I've removed the PSU and mainboard from the case to try and power it up with nothing more than the necessities, but as of yet without any success. 

Thanks in advance, and please forgive my non-native-english ?

IMG_1956.jpeg

IMG_1957.jpeg

IMG_1958.jpeg

So you connected a floppy power connector into System Fan header. That could've very well damaged the board.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

First of all , can you send a screen shot with the connector that comes from the PSU.

Then , can you swap THE CPUs and see if the IMac and PC still work.

Try using the iGPU and see what happens.

Try using a psu from a friend if you can.

If you have 2 sticks of ram try them both alone.

Try powering up the pc without the button from the case , use a key or screwdriver to short the pins if you know which are they.

1 minute ago, PopsicleHustler said:

So you connected a floppy power connector into System Fan header. That could've very well damaged the board.

It almost certainly killed the mobo. It could have damaged the PSU as well.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, ISmokeAir said:

First of all , can you send a screen shot with the connector that comes from the PSU.

Try powering up the pc without the button from the case , use a key or screwdriver to short the pins if you know which are they.

Sorry , I didn't see the photo , it didn't loaded

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

It might , but if you think of it , you powerd a connector that was providing power which probably comes from the 24 pin connector and it might also made a short and damaged just the connector .

18 minutes ago, macminitosh said:

As the PSU has black-only wires, I don't know which cable I need to jump in order to perform the PSU test

https://bit-tech.net/guides/modding/how-to-jump-a-psu/1/

18 minutes ago, macminitosh said:

I'm totally screwed

Yes, yes you are. It's not fun to learn a lesson this way, but...never EVER plug stuff into your mobo without double-checking what it is and where it goes.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That's what I expected. Well, shit.

3 minutes ago, ISmokeAir said:

I definitely won't swap cpus, as my iMac is back up together and running. I can't risk my luck killing two machines in one day.

I've removed the GPU and tried internal, but as it doesn't boot, there is no difference.

I'll look into borrowing a PSU tomorrow, but probably ill end up buying one 'cause I'm new in town.

I've tried without the RAM - no change.

I've tired without the button - no change.

1 minute ago, macminitosh said:

I definitely won't swap cpus, as my iMac is back up together and running. I can't risk my luck killing two machines in one day.

You can search and see if you can find a cheap celeron or pentium for your socket

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

https://bit-tech.net/guides/modding/how-to-jump-a-psu/1/

Yes, yes you are. It's not fun to learn a lesson this way, but...never EVER plug stuff into your mobo without double-checking what it is and where it goes.

Thanks for the link, I'll try this right away.

It's even harder when I'll tell you that I've repaired and built a lot of systems up until this point, but as I'm mainly working on Apple hardware, I just wasn't paying enough attention as I should have.

1 minute ago, ISmokeAir said:

You can search and see if you can find a cheap celeron or pentium for your socket

That's an idea. I'll check the PSU and Mainboard first.

In the end if your MB is dead you should consider buying a MB compatible with MacOS and try hackintoshing , but just if you are interested

1 minute ago, macminitosh said:

I jumped it just now. The HDD I connected span right up. So the PSU is okay, I guess?

Probably.

8 minutes ago, ISmokeAir said:

In the end if your MB is dead you should consider buying a MB compatible with MacOS and try hackintoshing , but just if you are interested

As far as I know the Gigabyte Z270X-UD5 is one of the best MB for hackintoshing and it has pretty much all you need except RBG

As far as I know the Gigabyte Z270X-UD5 is one of the best MB for hackintoshing and it has pretty much all you need except RBG

I have an iMac 2017, so I don't really need a hackintosh right now. The PC was intended to be used for gaming.

I've just ordered a new Mainboard from Amazon. I just hope this mistake only cost me the 58€ for the new board and everything else is fine ?

Is there anything I can do with the old, probably dead mainboard? Is something like this fixable?

On 9/6/2019 at 6:18 AM, macminitosh said:

Is there anything I can do with the old, probably dead mainboard? Is something like this fixable?

Well , not really. You could try to sell it , but I don't think that a lot of people would be interested in it. You could try to disassemble it just for fun and knowledge tho. ?

Well , not really. You could try to sell it , but I don't think that a lot of people would be interested in it. You could try to disassemble it just for fun and knowledge tho. ?

And maybe drop it ??

So, sort of a PSA: 

I installed everything on the new mainboard, and tested it rigorously overnight. It seems to work flawlessly, so I probably only killed the mainboard and nothing else.

Don't be as stupid as me, and look out what you plug into your mainboard.