Used or un-Used SSD????

Krofter
Go to solution Solved by Kisai,
6 hours ago, Krofter said:

I am trying to upgrade my laptop with an SSD. So it got me thinking. Should i buy a new SSD or get a second-hand one available online?. What is the general opinion? I am a college student and  gamer. So what should i do?

I'd suggest avoiding previously owned SSD's, NVme or SATA.

The problem is you don't know how much actual power-on-time and wear remaining are on that SSD until you buy it. I was pulling SATA SSD's from laptops today that I didn't expect to find SSD's in and noted that these might be TLC NAND, but I need to get the exact model number to verify it. However the drives in question apparently come in TLC and MLC variety. Since they're from 4 year old machines, the wear is likely fairly high.

The only pre-owned SSD's I'd suggest getting are those you get for free or salvage from broken machines so you can test them. 

SSD's that have been running on a TRIM-enabled OS, no data is recoverable. Triggering a secure erase on these will invoke an entire erase cycle. So the chances of getting someones data from a SSD is pretty low unless the drive was given to you without any attempt to erase it.

I am trying to upgrade my laptop with an SSD. So it got me thinking. Should i buy a new SSD or get a second-hand one available online?. What is the general opinion? I am a college student and  gamer. So what should i do?

Personally, with how SSD prices have dropped over the years (you can buy a 1TB NVMe M.2 for ~$100 new) I'd buy new. If it works, great. If it doesn't, you can get it replaced or your money back.

If you buy used, it may perform poorly (the reason someone's selling it), it likely won't get replaced, you might not get your money back.

That's just my opinion. I don't think you'll be saving a whole heck of a lot buying used here.

10 minutes ago, Krofter said:

SSDs are generally safer than HDDs when buying used. But given how cheap a 250GB SSD can be had new, why bother? Maybe 20-30 bucks more and you get a new unit with a warranty. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

12 minutes ago, Krofter said:

Buy new. The cells inside a SSD deteriorate with use, so if you buy used there's no telling how much life it has left in it. Yes they last quite awhile but you don't know how that other person treated it or what they used it for. Spend a few extra bucks and get a clean drive. 

I don't fully know this but I heard from other people that there is still some stuff left on a ssd or any storage device even after wiping it. Not fully sure haven't read into it 

4 hours ago, SnowWolf370 said:

You're correct. It actually takes very little effort with some special programs to recover stuff that's on a storage device that has been "wiped clean"..

Properly deleting files takes a very long time, and even then.. It's possible to recover data for some people.

so essentially end of story just buy a new storage device ?

6 hours ago, Krofter said:

I'd suggest avoiding previously owned SSD's, NVme or SATA.

The problem is you don't know how much actual power-on-time and wear remaining are on that SSD until you buy it. I was pulling SATA SSD's from laptops today that I didn't expect to find SSD's in and noted that these might be TLC NAND, but I need to get the exact model number to verify it. However the drives in question apparently come in TLC and MLC variety. Since they're from 4 year old machines, the wear is likely fairly high.

The only pre-owned SSD's I'd suggest getting are those you get for free or salvage from broken machines so you can test them. 

SSD's that have been running on a TRIM-enabled OS, no data is recoverable. Triggering a secure erase on these will invoke an entire erase cycle. So the chances of getting someones data from a SSD is pretty low unless the drive was given to you without any attempt to erase it.

Thank you all for your knowledge.....Guess i will buy one.?. Thanks again?

Well guys, if anyone is following this thread. There has been an update. I accidentally dropped my lap and it's HDD broke i.e it will enter BIOS and flicker their. It won't exit bios or even boot. They said to replace the HDD, but 1TB hard disc is about 3500INR. So I told them to put a 240 GB SSD instead which is about 2600INR. So...I think my wish was fulfilled, but in a bad way.????...